Non-O Visa Complacency

Hi.

Ihave been on a multiple 'o'visa for the past 10 yrs,this time i thought no problem ,just send off get visa and fly out,i sent my application off thinking no problem[what a mistake], i had booked my flight for an 11 month stay,

i recieved a phone call from hull consulate,who i must say have been great in the past,saying that i could not have an ;o'visa,because they have been told to tighten up on the visas that they issue.

the problem being that because of the high thai baht,and the exchange rate,i do not now have enough pension coming in every month,42baht to the pound in england.

i was issued with a 3 entry tourist visa,but i am staying for 11months.

does anyone have any info that can help me extend my visa to cover my 11 month stay.

thanks a lot.

bazza

On what basis have you been getting the non-o before?

Things have changed to where you can only get a multiple entry for being over 50 or have a Thai wife and etc. The visiting friends option is no longer available.

For over 50 you need to show an income or money in bank (UK OK). If over 65 all that is needed is a proof of getting government pension.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hull Consulate.

Category “O”
1) Married to a Thai national.
Evidence required:
a) If married in Thailand:
Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.
b ) If married in UK:

Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.
Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

or

2) Visiting Thai child living in Thailand.
Evidence required
a) Birth Certificate of child showing relationship.
b )Proof of having legal custody of the child

or

3) Visiting non Thai family working and/or living in Thailand.
Evidence required:
a) Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship and date of birth – applicant must not be older than 20 years.
b ) Letter from relative in Thailand confirming they are in Thailand together with copy of
page in their passport showing valid entry visa or a copy of their valid work permit..
Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted to applicant aged up to 20 years in these circumstances. If applicant is aged 21 or over then they can be granted only a Tourist Visa with 1, 2 or 3 entries.

or

4) Volunteer Work.
Evidence required:
a) Sponsor Letter from volunteer/charity organisation which must be registered in Thailand.
Only a single entry visa can be granted in these circumstances. Applicant will need to arrange Extension of Stay as necessary. Please check with volunteer/charity organisation
for what extra documentation may be required by Thai Immigration to extend stay.

or

5) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.
Evidence required:
a) Bank Statement or Pension Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension.

or

6) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged between 50 and 64 years
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £1200 per month or lumpsum
of minimum £20,000

Things have changed to where you can only get a multiple entry for being over 50 or have a Thai wife and etc. The visiting friends option is no longer available.

For over 50 you need to show an income or money in bank (UK OK). If over 65 all that is needed is a proof of getting government pension.

If over 65, are you saying any official government retirement??? Or a government retirement that satisfies the 80,000 baht per month requirement?

There is no 80k per month requirement for anything. For one year extensions of stay it is 65k per month. For visas there is no set requirement - what you have in the UK is an option to use proof of any pension over the age of 65 to obtain visa at these consulates for UK nationals. I would suspect the UK has a pension system that kicks in at age 65?

hi ubonjoe.

was getting ;o; visa on my pension,but because the exchange rate is so low now,and the embassies have been told to tighten up on visas.i was told on the phone i could not get a ;o; visa,because my pension is now not enough,i was 40quid short per month,you must have 1,200 pound a month pension.

So this year you have the tourist visa option available with an overnight in Laos or Malaysia. Next year you might want to consider extending for retirement inside Thailand at an immigration office (if you can not do this year). That requires you have a bank account here as well as income letter from Embassy but using the two together you can get around the shortfall in pension and only the total yearly amount needs to be 800k or more. So if your pension averages 45k x 12 months = 540k you would only need a bank account with 260k in it. Presenting proof of this would convert a single entry tourist visa at immigration to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry which you could then extend for 1,900 baht (perhaps waiting 60 days) and then it would just be getting a yearly re-entry permit and extensions and doing the normal 90 day address report while here.

For a combination of income and money in the bank in Thailand there is no seasoning required. if going for 800,000 in the bank alone, seasoning is required.

You don't renew an O-A visa, at immigration you ask for an extension.

Hull Consulate.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

b ) If married in UK:

or

Evidence required

or

Evidence required:

a) Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship and date of birth – applicant must not be older than 20 years.

b ) Letter from relative in Thailand confirming they are in Thailand together with copy of

page in their passport showing valid entry visa or a copy of their valid work permit..

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted to applicant aged up to 20 years in these circumstances. If applicant is aged 21 or over then they can be granted only a Tourist Visa with 1, 2 or 3 entries.

or

4) Volunteer Work.

Evidence required:

a) Sponsor Letter from volunteer/charity organisation which must be registered in Thailand.

Only a single entry visa can be granted in these circumstances. Applicant will need to arrange Extension of Stay as necessary. Please check with volunteer/charity organisation

for what extra documentation may be required by Thai Immigration to extend stay.

or

Evidence required:

a) Bank Statement or Pension Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension.

or

Evidence required:

of minimum £20,000

Lite Beer:

I am a little bit confused. The last part of your post, #6 talks about staying in Thailand as a retired person. I am a USA citizen and when I look at the Thai Embassy or Thai consulate websites in the USA, they describe a Non-immigrant O visa which is limited to a 90 day stay in Thailand. They describe a Non-immigrant O-A for those over 50 and have the required income/ Thai bank deposit which is for 1 year. They do not mention the type of visa you describe in #6. Is this different for UK citizens than for USA citizens?

430xc

Hull Consulate.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

b ) If married in UK:

or

Evidence required

or

Evidence required:

or

4) Volunteer Work.

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

of minimum £20,000

Lite Beer:

I am a little bit confused. The last part of your post, #6 talks about staying in Thailand as a retired person. I am a USA citizen and when I look at the Thai Embassy or Thai consulate websites in the USA, they describe a Non-immigrant O visa which is limited to a 90 day stay in Thailand. They describe a Non-immigrant O-A for those over 50 and have the required income/ Thai bank deposit which is for 1 year. They do not mention the type of visa you describe in #6. Is this different for UK citizens than for USA citizens?

430xc

If you look, #6 is a Hull Consulate requirement, a U.S. Consulate could have other requirements.

If interested in staying more than 90 days, enter on a single entry and apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement, 800K in he bank, or proof of income 65K per month, or a combination.

Edited by beechguy

The Hull Consulate is an Honorary Consulate and not allowed to issue non immigrant O-A visas - just as Honorary Consulates in the USA are not allowed to issue them. Only Embassy Consular Section or official consulates in these countries issue the O-A visa.

Hull Consulate.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

b ) If married in UK:

or

Evidence required

or

Evidence required:

or

4) Volunteer Work.

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

of minimum £20,000

Lite Beer:

430xc

Lite Beer has answered your question. However, US citizens applying in the USA for an O-A visa must show the same finances as if they were applying for an extension based on being over 50 years old (from immigration in Thailand) plus a lot of other costly documents (medical cert, police check, etc.) It is much easier to come on a TV or Non-O and apply for an extension.

Hull Consulate.

Category “O”

Evidence required:

b ) If married in UK:

or

Evidence required

or

Evidence required:

or

4) Volunteer Work.

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

or

Evidence required:

of minimum £20,000

Lite Beer:

430xc

Lite Beer has answered your question. However, US citizens applying in the USA for an O-A visa must show the same finances as if they were applying for an extension based on being over 50 years old (from immigration in Thailand) plus a lot of other costly documents (medical cert, police check, etc.) It is much easier to come on a TV or Non-O and apply for an extension.

Thank you for the clarification. I apologize if I seem rather dense. Some of this information is rather complicated and involved. I do not want, at this time to get a retirement visa, just the easiest and least expensive way for me to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Sorry if I am diverting this thread.

430xc

If over 65, are you saying any official government retirement??? Or a government retirement that satisfies the 80,000 baht per month requirement?

A friend just got his by sending State pension entitlement letter.

Ludicrous !!

His total income from the state, and a small private pension, is 28,000 Baht per month.

I am 57 and have to evidence 52,800 per month.

Good luck to my friend but, anyone want to comment on the logic/fairness of that ?

The normal cash requirement for issue of a non immigrant visa is 20,000 baht for single person so it appears he would meet that requirement and being over age 65 as a pension it is locked in.

With 52k per month you would only need to have a small savings account to obtain one year extensions of stay from immigration and avoid the need for travel visa runs.

That will give you almost 9 months.

You can always get another Tourist Visa in a neighbouring Country

it will get him about 6 months . The validity of the visa is only 90 days . So he would have to enter on day 90 to get 60 days on arrival and then extend for 30 days from that 60 . After that go to an embassy in a neighbouring country for a new visa .

With 52k per month you would only need to have a small savings account to obtain one year extensions of stay from immigration and avoid the need for travel visa runs.

then , what is this extension called?? extension of a single entery tourist visa perhaps?