Motoring Around Asean - Where Have You Been In Your Own Car?

THere are quite a few who have driven through Indonesia - both ways london to Oz/Oz to London - but none that I can find in a Thai car.

the route ro Oz seems to be via East Timor.

Ferries? Well do you think that Indonesia unloads its trucks at every coast or grows it's own cars separately on each island????

Edited by wilcopops

THere are quite a few who have driven through Indonesia - both ways london to Oz/Oz to London - but none that I can find in a Thai car.

Ferries? Well do you think that Indonesia unloads its trucks at every coast or grows it's own cars separately on each island????

Can you post any of those car trip blogs or websites.

The Thai car is not an issue if it is 6 months, 12 would be nicer but.

I believe into Oz the issue is a few minor things like demisters, aircon juice and something else but cannot remember. Also the biggest issue is the time for customs in Oz to clear the vehicle. I have read reports of a few days to 1 month.

Can you post any of those car trip blogs or websites.

The Thai car is not an issue if it is 6 months, 12 would be nicer but.

I believe into Oz the issue is a few minor things like demisters, aircon juice and something else but cannot remember. Also the biggest issue is the time for customs in Oz to clear the vehicle. I have read reports of a few days to 1 month.

Google - "driving Australia London" for a start.

In Oz you will need a bit of time - the cars I'm told have to be sterilised.

Both temp and permanent import are possible so long as you have the right documents.

The main problem for me is that it seems no pickups in Thailand are fitted with heaters.

If you want to permanently import, the vehicle needs to be "Aussie Compliant" (their govt web site is pretty comprehensive)and that may require some mods made to the vehicle - especially if it was built for the Thai market. Safety, exhaust emissions etc etc.....there is also tax and GST to pay.

If the vehicle is over 31 years old then I think you avoid all duties.

Edited by wilcopops

THis is getting a bit off topic - I was hoping someone might have FIRST_HAND experience of other ASEAN countries...I've been to Laos and know that Malaysia is pretty much OK - but it is the other countries that really interest me.

• 1 month later...

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and China all use left hand drive vehicles. The American system.

Only Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand stick right.

Last time I checked, Vietnam didn't allow RHD cars in. Might have changed.

Myanmar mainly uses RHD vehicles only they also drive on the right! Vietnam only allows RHD vehicles into the country as part of a caravan tour. Incidentally, Vietnam only allows Chinese cars to enter at Lao Cai for travel to Sapa and nowhere else. Despite having LHD vehicles like Vietnam does, the restrictions on Chinese cars could be related to the political relationship between the two countries. Once the Hanoi-Lao Cai expressway is completed (which will be soon) perhaps these restrictions will be lifted.

Myanmar doesn't care about LHD or RHD, but it simply doesn't want independent travelers (without government minders) driving foreign registered cars inside its borders due to insurgent groups, bandits, poor infrastructure and no insurance! Yes, that's right Myanmar doesn't have a third party insurance system so any accidents will involve a payment in cash. I have experienced this first hand although I had a car with driver and the accident was minor (a truck was passing on the left and our driver, who was driving a RHD car tried to pass on the right but instead the truck hit our rear bumper). After a cash payment from the truck driver, we were on our way.

I have experience driving a Lao car into Thailand and Vietnam. On my first trip, used the same car to travel from Vientiane to Bangkok then Pakse, Dalat in Vietnam and back the same way (via Bangkok).

I have also driven a Thai car into Malaysia, went as far as Penang.

Maybe ASEAN 2015 will make driving in ASEAN a bit easier, including driving into Myanmar but I think the rules will simply be streamlined, not exactly translating into freedom of movement with a motor vehicle like in Europe. I think that means each member state will follow the same rules, permitting vehicles from other member states to enter at any crossing points between member states (including third countries such as driving a Thai car from Vietnam to Laos) to enter and remain for up to 30 or perhaps 90 days, allow one country's insurance to be valid for the whole region and require a standardized car passport.

Where do you catch the Ferry to Indonesia that takes private cars.?

From peninsular Malaysia to Sumatra and then from Sumatra to Java and then from there to Lombok and Bali.

Do you know any more info about this and foreign cars, not Indo cars ?

• 5 weeks later...

Where do you catch the Ferry to Indonesia that takes private cars.?

From peninsular Malaysia to Sumatra and then from Sumatra to Java and then from there to Lombok and Bali.

Do you know any more info about this and foreign cars, not Indo cars ?

Well since Malaysia and Indonesia are two different countries, one can assume that Malaysian cars would be classified as foreign registered inside Indonesia and thus the requirements for bringing a vehicle registered in another country, such as Thailand across to Indonesia would be similar. I can ask an Indonesian friend of mine who has experience driving around SE Asia in his own vehicle about the requirements.