Motoring Around Asean - Where Have You Been In Your Own Car?

Driving round the EU is so easy.....hopefully it will get easier in ASEAN countries and maybe even quite quickly.

What countries have you visited in your own vehicle?

would you care to share some of your experiences?

in particular what bureaucracy; documents, insurance etc you had to deal with to get your vehicle in (and out again)

• 3 weeks later...

This Lot only go to Lotus 20 Clics away with 4 W.D engaged. Plus Snorkell and Winch.sick.gif

Some only go out to check their tire pressures wink.png

seems to be the case - almost all regional international driving advice seems to be second-hand; no-one seems to go out side their own suburb. I very much doubt if tire pressures are part of the driving menu though.

in the next couple of years it would seem ASAEAN will open up the region more and hopefully change this mentality. For instance, the Vietnam coast is only about 4 or 5 hours drive from the Thai border

Edited by wilcopops

This Lot only go to Lotus 20 Clics away with 4 W.D engaged. Plus Snorkell and Winch.sick.gif

Some only go out to check their tire pressures wink.png

seems to be the case - almost all regional international driving advice seems to be second-hand; no-one seems to go out side their own suburb. I very much doubt if tire pressures are part of the driving menu though.

in the next couple of years it would seem ASAEAN will open up the region more and hopefully change this mentality. For instance, the Vietnam coast is only about 4 or 5 hours drive from the Thai border

Will ASEAN allow you to drive a Thai registered vehicle to the coast of Vietnam ?

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and China all use left hand drive vehicles. The American system.

Only Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand stick right.

Last time I checked, Vietnam didn't allow RHD cars in. Might have changed.

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and China all use left hand drive vehicles. The American system.

Firstly it is the French system - not the American.

Vietnam has prohibited RHD vehicles before but part of the ASEAN treaty (re-Kartman) is the free flow of trade and traffic throughout the community, this therefore requires that the RHD thing is dropped. I have heard of people passing from Laos into Vietnam with RHD vehicles but I have to say this was anecdotal. One of the reasons of this thread was to glean any first-hand experience from drivers of Thai vehicles

Driven into Laos.

Want to drive to Angkor.

I think the deposits required for some further adventures for the car will be the deciding factor. ie, having to put up 1 million baht to drive your car through another country is not really appealing.

Been to Malayasia on various occasions mainly to Penang easy with Thai registered vehicle just buy insurance at the border for length of stay. The road are very good.

did you get a "purple book" car passport for Malaysia? I've visited Laos on several occasions - very easy you just need the book and buy insurance.

however the insurance offered is minimal so I now have my own cover for Laos.

I suspect the insurance offered on the Malaysian border is the same.

As I understand it, the deposit required by most countries is usually covered by an international ATA carnet. As yet I haven't been able to find out who issues these in Thailand although I have been given some leads in another thread about that.

i've met people who have come through Cambodia in Laos in a French vehicle who reckon Laos was the easiest country to get through.

Edited by wilcopops

As I understand it, the deposit required by most countries is usually covered by an international ATA carnet. As yet I haven't been able to find out who issues these in Thailand although I have been given some leads in another thread about that.

Yes, but my enquiries suggest the carnet is just the passport, same same the purple book for going to laos etc and other neighbouring countries. But you still need to sort out the deposit and that can be done a few ways, but whichever way, the amount is still daunting.

Been to Malayasia on various occasions mainly to Penang easy with Thai registered vehicle just buy insurance at the border for length of stay. The road are very good.

did you get a "purple book" car passport for Malaysia? I've visited Laos on several occasions - very easy you just need the book and buy insurance.

i've met people who have come through Cambodia in Laos in a French vehicle who reckon Laos was the easiest country to get through.

If the vehicle is Thai registered you only need the blue book and owners concent or if they travel with vehicle they sign. No deposit or anything reguired. only thing you need to put some sticker front and back showing registration number in Thai like BKK 7896

I do not know where to post my question so if this is the wrong thread perhaps a MOD can redirect it.

My friend who at this moment is in the UK getting an ex prison van (Mercedes)

fitted out as a camper to drive overland to Thailand is concerned with how long He can temporarily import the vehicles into Thailand.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

I do not know where to post my question so if this is the wrong thread perhaps a MOD can redirect it.

fitted out as a camper to drive overland to Thailand is concerned with how long He can temporarily import the vehicles into Thailand.

Harry

Importation in Thailand... just forget it.

Question invariably asked every other week on this forum.rolleyes.gif

Harry

I think he mean temporary import as to drive in and around then out again. Should not be a problem as long as he has the paper work normally done before the journey.

Harry

Yeah, presume he means to drive through etc and how long he is allowed to keep it here before tax and all that due. So he adheres to the timeframe and just drives it onward.

• Like 1

Harry

Thanks for your helpful reply and obvious patience at my frustrating question but the salient part of my question was not about a permanent import which most threads seem to be about on this aspect of importation but a about a temporary import.

From my post; " how long He can TEMPORARILY import the vehicles into Thailand."

Perhaps "Import" was a word wrongly used, maybe I should have said a temporary visit with the owner driver taking the vehicle back the way He had come and therefor not exactly importing his car.

I assume that even a "Temporary" visit by a car is maybe classed as an importation, I don't know and that is why I asked!

Harry

Yeah, presume he means to drive through etc and how long he is allowed to keep it here before tax and all that due. So he adheres to the timeframe and just drives it onward.

Exactly!

Harry

Exactly!
Max is 6 months. Details as follows.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

Exactly!
Max is 6 months. Details as follows.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

How about a Thai car driven outside the country, how long can it stay out before you have to pay tax to bring it back in?

Yes, but my enquiries suggest the carnet is just the passport, same same the purple book for going to laos etc and other neighbouring countries. But you still need to sort out the deposit and that can be done a few ways, but whichever way, the amount is still daunting.

Incorrect - the ATA carnet is a guarantee of deposit on the goods (vehicle or otherwise) for temporary import. It is an international treaty.

Problem is that Indonesia is not actually a signatory but seems to insist on this carnet.

Most other S.E. asian countries are signatories but KLaos and Malaysia also have their own agreements with Thailand.

under ASEAN there should be a simpler system introduced which eventually will be the same sort of thing as the EU.

The

If the vehicle is Thai registered you only need the blue book and owners concent or if they travel with vehicle they sign. No deposit or anything reguired. only thing you need to put some sticker front and back showing registration number in Thai like BKK 7896

I use my purple book EVERY time I go to Laos - they stamp like an ordinary passport. The cost? - about 50 baht for the book available from all Dept transport offices.

Harry

You can get an international carnet in the UK - I believe it is obtainable through the AA. It doesn't require you to stump up the whole value of the vehicle.

THis works for most overland trips and I believe Thailand is a signatory.

some countries you simply can't get into at present and most people at some point ship their vehicle around by sea to the next country.

you are right in assuming that in this thread I'm referring to TEMPORARY import of a private vehicle.

Importing permanently incurs about an extra 270% of the value of the vehicle (normally from new).

you might fins a LHD vehicle is less hassle.

n210 mp - if your friend intends to drive from Uk he will need to sort out more than just Thailand for temporary import. May I suggest he/she google a few "round the world" or other long distance drives to get an idea of what is entailed and where he can go.

i've met several vehicles that have been driven from France (why France?!?!) and they don't seem to have huge problems.

My problem is that none so far have been through indonesia.

The other thing is I'm hoping to hear from someone with actual experience of going through these countries and the documentation they used for a Thai vehicle.

A long distance (londson to Oz) driver usually expects to spend days crossing some boarders. i'm hoping to avoid this when driving around ASEAN

Incorrect - the ATA carnet is a guarantee of deposit on the goods (vehicle or otherwise) for temporary import. It is an international treaty.

Problem is that Indonesia is not actually a signatory but seems to insist on this carnet.

Most other S.E. asian countries are signatories but KLaos and Malaysia also have their own agreements with Thailand.

under ASEAN there should be a simpler system introduced which eventually will be the same sort of thing as the EU.

The

So you can or cannot drive into Indonesia?

I have read blogs of people taking motorbikes in there, but not cars as yet.

The

If your Car Floats you could i suppose, easy way is to rent.coffee1.gif

The

If your Car Floats you could i suppose, easy way is to rent.coffee1.gif

All cars can float smarty pants.

It is called a ferry.