Beautiful And Nice Thai Restaurant?

lukeskywalker

My GF's birthday is coming up and she would love to go to a very "nice and romantic" (and with a/c!) Thai restaurant. I know all the Western food places but not sure about a Thai place. Of course, a beautiful place with reasonable prices would be the best.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Wow not many locals on this forum at 5am - early riser or (like me) still up from last night?

Air Con narrows it a bit - how about Tiger Kingdom Restaurant - just up from Mad Dogs - they have indoor seating with air con, food is good but not too dear, music is not too heavy. Gets crowded, but not packed if you know what I mean (inside at least - as tables are well spaced - outside can get a bit heavy!). Free car park with security.

Could try out the all-new Brasserie (see thread in this forum for its new address). Also, where it used to be, Riverside and Good View - at least one of them does a river boat meal which is romantic (pack the mozzie spray!). Riverside/GV both have pay and reclaim parking - get the price back off the bill - so make sure you park in the correct car park (done that mistake!)

Another is Monkey Puzzle, no air con (its open sided, open air with roof) - nice décor (have a good look at the lamp shades and the toilet signs for a cheap laugh many miss). Good food, very Thai, Thai music. Parking can be fun when its busy!

This is assuming she wants Thai - in my experience a lot of times Thais love MK and Fuji as treat places (I guess paying ten times for the same stuff you eat every day makes other food more tempting). Airport Plaza - can see a film too - and parking is free biggrin.png

http://www.travelfish.org/eatandmeet/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai/eat

Edited by wolf5370

Suan Hom Khao Ram (junction of Hwy 118 & 121—see Greenside's pinned map above).

A nice garden restaurant, but with a glassed-in air conditioned area as well where you are safe from the live music an occasional karaoke.

Is it romantic? What do I know? Mrs. T and I, even after more than twenty years, create our own romantic bubble wherever we are.

T

I think wolf5370 is joking when he recommended the new Brasserie -- hardly nice and romantic and not considered a Thai restaurant.

But the dinner boat cruise on the Mae Ping from Riverside is nice but perhaps not this time of year.

Edited by elektrified

I think wolf5370 is joking when he recommended the new Brasserie -- hardly nice and romantic and not considered a Thai restaurant.

But the dinner boat cruise on the Mae Ping from Riverside is nice but perhaps not this time of year.

Not so much recommending, just suggesting a possibility - not been there myself - the old one at the river did Thai food, so assumed the same was true and looks (from the photo on its thread) to be closed in and fairly quiet (as in empty) so would (again) assume fairly romantic. So, bow to your superior knowledge in this regard biggrin.png

Edited by wolf5370

I have 2 memorable venues, the first I have never seen mentioned on TV by anyone, so perhaps those of you who have been have also been keeping it exclusive. its called Irada; over the bridge towrds the bus station and turn right at the first lights (opposite British Embassy) food is first class and i would say in the medium to high price range; great style and design and definately a "romantic" type venue....or should I say, a good place to go if you want to be alone. i apologise to other Irada goers for potentially opening the place up to other farangs.

my second best venue, Sabaidee in santitham, first went their by accident last year and tend to go every fortnight now. so impressed with the quirky and eclectic interior design, where else can you sit at the bar and have koi carp swimming under your glass; small waterfalls and on a weekend live music. food is tip top, service and attention to detail would be difficult to beat, plenty of rustic wooden tables carefully placed, and the best thing, unbelievably, we are talking "lemon tree" prices. i rate this 5 star at 2 star prices. Worthy of a visit even if just for a drink. A hidden gem in not so favourable surroundings.

I think your "belle" would be suitably impressed with either.

Samsen Villa on the Ping River would be one restaurant to consider. They have good Thai food and a romantic location for an evening meal. They have both inside and outside tables. The inside is air-conditioned. The prices are moderate.

+1

One of my favorites.

If you decide to venture out of A/C i recommend Galae Restaurant. Ive always enjoyed it. Book early though and try book next to the water, you can also feed the fish then. I feed them some scraps or buy fish food. The setting is very romantic in the evening.

If you decide to venture out of A/C i recommend Galae Restaurant. Ive always enjoyed it. Book early though and try book next to the water, you can also feed the fish then. I feed them some scraps or buy fish food. The setting is very romantic in the evening.

OP, forget all the advice from the guys. Listen to eek. I suspect she knows better.

T