Eva Airways London - Bangkok Economy

Chris.B

Drinks have never been a problem although I did get a frozen beer once. Their luggage allowance I think is 20kg I have no idea what the latest information is on that. I have used Emirates for my last trips because they give me 30kg, flight is a couple of hours longer but I have 30kg, food and drinks good. If weight is an issue have a look at Emirates.

Drinks have never been a problem although I did get a frozen beer once. Their luggage allowance I think is 20kg I have no idea what the latest information is on that. I have used Emirates for my last trips because they give me 30kg, flight is a couple of hours longer but I have 30kg, food and drinks good. If weight is an issue have a look at Emirates.

Jet air India is 30 Kg and cheaper.

I was on an Eva Flight last year where they started refusing alcoholic drinks to a group of guys sitting in front of me, the reason they gave was that they were ordering them to frequently.

As for the luggage allowance i had 23kg on the return from London to Bangkok and the check in staff

wanted to either charge me or remove some weight and put it in my hand luggage.

I have flown EVA from London to Bangkok in business class (Premium Laurel) for maybe ten years. The hold luggage allowance is 30kg and I never had any problems with being overweight. But in 2011 I was stopped at Heathrow by an officious EVA manager who wanted to weigh my hand luggage. I was way overweight (a paltry 7kg allowance even for business travellers!) and was forced to put much of my fragile photo equipment into the hold. All quite ridiculous as my overall weight was still the same and I never take "duty-free" booze on board. Even the more ridiculous as in business you have an overhead bin to yourself so there's no lack of space. I found the confrontation at the EVA check-in most embarrassing; repacking your luggage in public is not pleasant experience.

So last November I flew out with BA (again in business class, and the same price). Their hold luggage allowance was 3 bags at 23kg. But their cabin baggage allowance is 23kg - I kid you not - and it's the same for economy passengers too. Their policy is if you can lift your luggage into an overhead bin unaided then it's ok (but it still has to conform to the "normal" dimensions).

So, although I prefer flying with EVA for the service and schedule I think I'll be flying BA again. So my advice to you when flying EVA from Heathrow is to watch your weight. Flying from Bangkok to Heathrow however is totally different and much more relaxed with both hold and cabin baggage.

I have flown EVA BKK-LAX return twice this last month. Economy Delux no problem getting a drink and refill but economy was full and service was tough to get as they were really busy.

They seemed pretty lax with carry on enforcement.

I was on an Eva Flight last year where they started refusing alcoholic drinks to a group of guys sitting in front of me, the reason they gave was that they were ordering them to frequently.

As for the luggage allowance i had 23kg on the return from London to Bangkok and the check in staff

It was developing a bit of a rep for being a drinkers airline especially on the LHR-BKK route, heard about drinks refusal quite a few times over the last year or two.For some Brits it was just a flying bar on the way to or from Pattaya.

Edited by roamer
  • Like 1

It was developing a bit of a rep for being a drinkers airline especially on the LHR-BKK route, heard about drinks refusal quite a few times over the last year or two.For some Brits it was just a flying bar on the way to or from Pattaya.

That sounds good, cheers and have another! :-)

• Like 1

The reality is that in cattle class at least, you see quite a few reviews similar to this, especially on LHR-BKK.

"LHR-BKK return. The 777-300 in economy the experience was comfortable, and indeed professional, but it still lacked what we have come to expect from decent scheduled carriers. Cabin staff were efficient, but the lack of little extras made the trip frustrating. No hot towels, no pre-meal drinks service, no menu card to choose from, great difficulty in getting alcoholic drinks during the flight, (impossible on the return flight despite repeatedly asking). They will have to up their game before we will consider booking them again."

I'm flying them on that route in the summer but will be packing the sarnies, easily the worst airline food ever I seem to recall and reading the reviews it's clear nothing has changed.smile.png Can live with it, just a flying bus at the end of the day.

Maybe luck of the draw but I was told by check in staff that they routinely allow 23 kgs.

• Like 1

I have informatoin that this Routing is being dropped by Eva and the flight will terminate in Bangkok from Taipai. Expect an announcement soon. At the moment its still coming up in Search Engines later this year. That may change so beware........

Eva have been known to cancel a lot of LHR-BKK sectors, especially mid-week when they're not very full so be careful! I guess this is why the route is being dropped if they can't fill the seats.

Maybe luck of the draw but I was told by check in staff that they routinely allow 23 kgs.
It's 23 kg to/from the United States.

Can't say I blame them. Filling flights with Asian tourists must be far more remunerative and less stressful on the cabin staff than coping with the Pataya express crowd.

Not just an EVA airline's problem though. My last Etihad flight from Manchester had a full scale flailing fists fight among a bunch of Pattaya-bound scousers who were seemingly mates (when they got on at Manchester).

They were pretty plastered by the time they got to the desert shed and the second flight kicked off the ruck. Respect to the big Arab steward guy who waded right in, separated them and calmed them down. Amazingly they were let out in BKK as per normal - should have had a police greeting party and a date at the Hilton for a few days IMO. English dross at its finest!

Can't say I blame them. Filling flights with Asian tourists must be far more remunerative and less stressful on the cabin staff than coping with the Pataya express crowd.

Not just an EVA airline's problem though. My last Etihad flight from Manchester had a full scale flailing fists fight among a bunch of Pattaya-bound scousers who were seemingly mates (when they got on at Manchester).

They were pretty plastered by the time they got to the desert shed and the second flight kicked off the ruck. Respect to the big Arab steward guy who waded right in, separated them and calmed them down. Amazingly they were let out in BKK as per normal - should have had a police greeting party and a date at the Hilton for a few days IMO. English dross at its finest!

Agreed. Flew Etihad from Geneva last year, nice flight, the DXB-BKK sector another story, one Brit refused boarding because of the state he was in and then the rest of the family kicked off. Common occurrence these days on UK-BKK flights.

I have informatoin that this Routing is being dropped by Eva and the flight will terminate in Bangkok from Taipai. Expect an announcement soon. At the moment its still coming up in Search Engines later this year. That may change so beware........

Be surprising if they stopped flying into London altogether.

Not really. One flight daily, highest landing fees for a hub airport in the world and set to increase, highest airport passenger tax, all factors that affect them (and us). They are expanding on their direct Paris-Taipei route next month, newer planes bigger business class, think that has to have an effect on their London flights. No need for a London office.

Not really. One flight daily, highest landing fees for a hub airport in the world and set to increase, highest airport passenger tax, all factors that affect them (and us). They are expanding on their direct Paris-Taipei route next month, newer planes bigger business class, think that has to have an effect on their London flights. No need for a London office.

Giving up Heathrow slots would be a big call but I guess time will tell.

Not too difficult going via other European gateways.

I flew on Jet in March and allowance was 20kg. I was over by 2kg which they ignored (I smiled sweetly at Heathrow - only overweight on the return) - hand luggage was actually 17kg (10kg overweight) but they never weighed it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the EVA website and they currently have offers for the XMAS period so suggests the route is still part of their Winter schedule.

I flew on Jet in March and allowance was 20kg. I was over by 2kg which they ignored (I smiled sweetly at Heathrow - only overweight on the return) - hand luggage was actually 17kg (10kg overweight) but they never weighed it biggrin.png

"allowance was 20kg"

That seems really odd ? Was the ticket issued by the airline, or perhaps an agent, who didn't check the correct weight ?

They used to be 28 kgs, but increased it to 30 kgs summer-2012, and I've got five tickets for them this year, for various family-members, all state 30 kgs hold-allowance in-Economy.

Their website also confirms 30 kgs as standard in Economy.

I flew on Jet in March and allowance was 20kg. I was over by 2kg which they ignored (I smiled sweetly at Heathrow - only overweight on the return) - hand luggage was actually 17kg (10kg overweight) but they never weighed it biggrin.png

"allowance was 20kg"

That seems really odd ? Was the ticket issued by the airline, or perhaps an agent, who didn't check the correct weight ?

They used to be 28 kgs, but increased it to 30 kgs summer-2012, and I've got five tickets for them this year, for various family-members, all state 30 kgs hold-allowance in-Economy.

Said 20kg on the ticket - checking also said that (first time I flew with them, so no idea if this is a change or a specific flight category or what). Noticed online they say a lot of things that are not true though. For example they say video on demand is available on all flights other than some internal Indian flights - but on the BKK to Deli leg (and return) there was no seat back screens - and only a single shared centre screen per section playing Indian movies with multiple dubbing channels on the radio (like 15 years ago). Seats at the rear do not incline either.

"allowance was 20kg"

Said 20kg on the ticket - checking also said that (first time I flew with them, so no idea if this is a change or a specific flight category or what). Noticed online they say a lot of things that are not true though. For example they say video on demand is available on all flights other than some internal Indian flights - but on the BKK to Deli leg (and return) there was no seat back screens - and only a single shared centre screen per section playing Indian movies with multiple dubbing channels on the radio (like 15 years ago). Seats at the rear do not incline either.

Their B737s used on BKK-DEL & BKK-BOM tend to vary, sometimes you get seatback-IFE (with selection more-limited than on the B773s to LHR), sometimes not ... luck-of-the-draw depending on what's actually operating the flight..

A lot of their web-site small-print is less-than-wonderful, for example last time I looked, it took 100,000 airmiles to get a 'freebie' BKK-LHR return. sad.png It remains to be seen, how many JetMiles will be required, to redeem a similar ticket on Etihad, under the new arrangements.

I just printed-out my boarding-passes for BKK-BOM-LHR this evening, my own tickets for this year (all web-fare cheapies of their lowest/cheapest W-grade) definitely all say 30 kgs, but will report back (when I'm next near a computer) if my 30 kgs of Thai veggies/herbs/pressies for family in-the-UK has any problem. Then again, I'm now Silver on their JetPrivilege ff-scheme, which gets me 40 kgs anyway, instead of the usual 30 kgs I've had before.

These trivial details matter, when you're returning home to Thailand, loaded-down with goodies, don't they ! biggrin.png