' Hunt The Smog' Project: Thai Govt Offering Cash For Photos Of Forest Fires

webfact

Govt offering cash for photos of forest fires
Supat Saengdok
The Nation
Phrae

BANGKOK: -- Anyone who takes a photo of a forest fire and sends it to the authorities will be rewarded with Bt500 in cash under the pilot phase of the "Hunt the Smog" project.

"We will take tough action against those lighting fires in forest zones to clear land for farming. Fires cause smog, which endangers the health of others," Science Minister Woravat Auapinyakul said yesterday.

"We have found that most forest fires are started by people," he said during a trip to this northern province to monitor the haze crisis and to launch the public campaign.

If the picture leads to the arrest of arsonists, the reward will jump to Bt5,000. If it is among the first 10 submissions, the reward will double to Bt10,000.

Violators will face a fine of up to Bt50,000 and up to six years in jail.

Woravat said air pollution from fires could seriously harm children whose lungs would not grow properly.

People in Phrae could alert authorities about manmade fires by calling 086 420 1968. The ministry is planning to integrate activities and communications networks to end fire-induced pollution.

"We will use unmanned aerial vehicles, satellite images, Skype and smartphones for reporting fires, coordinating efforts to extinguish them and facilitating rehabilitation," he said.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency has been assigned to explore technical solutions to the problem, which also disrupts transportation and deters tourism in the North.

Smog has spread widely over Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son. Many residents in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district put on face masks and sunglasses to protect their eyes and noses.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-08

• Like 2

It's a bit late with areas of the North choking for weeks. Another government exercise in BS but I see the words " war on ", " vigorous ", " aggressive action " etc were not used

They've exhausted them.

So if I go up in the hills here in Chiang Mai, with my camera,I think it

could be a nice little earner,as there are fires everywhere!

Who comes up with these ideas,?

regards Worgeordie

don't let them see taking a picture of them , o right those people with skimasks and full body clothing should not be too hard to track those down hahaha

• Like 1

Bit late, and what if I photograph all my neighbours burning piles of leaves, you're going to give me 500 baht reward but fat chance you'll arrest anyone! What are the chances of spotting someone deep in a forest setting fire. Such a moronic offer!

the people starting the fire just have to make sure they can't be recognised

The application/acceptance exam to be a cabinet member. politican, in this country, must be pissing against a 50 mph wind, while being judged for the ability to carry a tune.

This gives a look at the concept of dummey down a notch, in cabinet suffle.

500 baht eh ?

Wouldn't it be a better idea if the 500 baht was awarded for alerting the fire department and thus instigating an effort to control and actually extinguish the fires?

Boy this bunch of inept fools that are ruining running the country make a rocking horse look intelligent.

If brains were dynamite this whole collection of inept fools couldn't raise enough force to blow their noses.

Well at least now I can subsidise my holiday up north. "Here babe, take a photo of that fire" Drive a few metres down, get a new angle - 1000 THB. They're not very clear on whether it's 500THB per photo and/or whether the same fires count - makes for great loopholes. Stupid tw*ts!!!

although fores fires are big polluter ,I think all the little ones probably add up to much more smog , How much for a pic of the farmer next door burning off his rice or cane field , I would gladly call it in for nothing if I thought that the fire brigade would put it out and the farmer would pay a small fine enough to persuade him from not doing it next year.

Bit late, and what if I photograph all my neighbours burning piles of leaves, you're going to give me 500 baht reward but fat chance you'll arrest anyone! What are the chances of spotting someone deep in a forest setting fire. Such a moronic offer!

Yes, when the child has fallen into the well then the highly competent Thai minsters are thinking hard of

saving the child. Nothing but hot air. The same attitude like their boss's "concerns"

"The Prime Minister has expressed concerns over the smoke haze problem, which continues to hit residents in

Thailand’s northern region hard".

Crocodile tears and no useful action. As said before, that is the result when you have inept and incompetend ... "ministers" not knowing the meaning of this word.

If you don't help yourself, nobody will help you. We make "firewalls" (photo) and quench the fire by a shovel when it is advancing towards our land - even at night -, but this doesn't kill the horrible smoke.

cd1h9umsmliqj158f.jpg

The officials in Bangkok haven't got a clue. To tackle this yearly problem it needs more than producing speech bubbles and ridiculous suggestions.

They need an in-depth research about this behavior, considering 100's of years old customs, reasons of lightening the fires,

landscpae conditions (like here in Mae Hong Son and other provinces), having alternatives for the farmers and hilltribes, also having a plan about the agricultural development and future. ..... etc.

But every plan isn't worth one Baht if it isn't strictly implemented = the next problem nearly impossible to solve. Does Thailand have a Heracles to clear out the Augean stables?

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

500 baht eh ?

Wouldn't it be a better idea if the 500 baht was awarded for alerting the fire department and thus instigating an effort to control and actually extinguish the fires?

Boy this bunch of inept fools that are ruining running the country make a rocking horse look intelligent.

If brains were dynamite this whole collection of inept fools couldn't raise enough force to blow their noses.

?? no one want to actually extinguish the fire.....Here they burn happily plastic and other junk, since years, every day....we and hundred other people called the police.....not their problem.... That won't change if we make a photo of it.

Citizens or expats taking photos in Thailand of illegal activity is a rather dangerous option!

8488036045_83a0e7c314_z.jpg

Very much agree.

Next, it'll be...

Govt offering cash for photos of drug traffickers

BANGKOK: -- Anyone who takes a photo of a drug caravans through the forests and sends it to the authorities will be rewarded with Bt500 in cash under the pilot phase of the "Hunt the Traffickers" project.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

The idea of a Thai visa (Chiang Mai) based "search and photograph" group is not unappealing, all rewards to go to charity, anyone?

make sure everyone's life insurance policies are paid up

I believe the French term is "puzzies" or similar.

BUGGER IT!

Why couldn't they have done this a couple of weeks ago? Went from CM to Mae Sot, saw dozens of the sods all sparking up. Could've paid for the year...

Actually, the air in CM doesn't seem too bad now, guessing they've stopped setting fires now. Ahhhh...hence the offer of a reward now. No good offering when someone might claim it, is it?

Edited by wotchit