Length Of Stay In U.s. Question

My Thai girlfriend has just been granted a one year, multiple entry, U.S. tourist visa. (I'm both shocked and overjoyed!)

It will be her first visit.

On her application she stated that she intends to stay in the U.S for three weeks.

If she arrives at San Francisco airport immigration with a return ticket dated six weeks later, could there be a problem?

Thank you in advance.

My wife had a 10 year multiple entry but I must say I never heard of a 1 year multiple entry.Usually the first time I believe is a one time entry and for 6 months. I could be wrong as I went through this 20 years ago.

It's quite clear on her visa:

It says:

Entries M

Issue Date: 03APR2013

Expiration Date: 01APR2014

Anyway, that has nothing to do with my question.

My wife had a 10 year multiple entry but I must say I never heard of a 1 year multiple entry.Usually the first time I believe is a one time entry and for 6 months. I could be wrong as I went through this 20 years ago.

It says:

Entries M

It says:

Entries M

she has the Multiple Entry visa good for a year, entry on a 10yr is good for 6 months at a time, i don't know if their is time limits on a 1year, but i don't think she will have a problem at all

actually, my wife has been to the US now 4 times on her 10yr visa and they have been downright pleasant towards her each and everytime

Machaoom:

Congratulations on the visa. If it is not too personal, could you please post some details, such as how long it took to get the visa etc. I have posted a question and gotten some good answers already on this forum.

Thanks

430xc

She can stay as long as the stamp on the I-94 says she can stay, when she arrives. It's usually 6 months. The visa expiration is the last date she can enter the U.S. The stamp on the I-94 determines how long she can stay once she arrives in the U.S.

Machaoom:

Congratulations on the visa. If it is not too personal, could you please post some details, such as how long it took to get the visa etc. I have posted a question and gotten some good answers already on this forum.

Thanks

430xc

We spent a long time filling out her application; they don't make it easy!
One of the questions is: "Did anyone help you fill out this application?" I think that's a trick question. If my girlfriend had answered no to that, I'm sure she would have been asked two questions at the interview and shown the door. I think the online application is far too sophisticated for the average, or even above average, Thai to understand (or maybe I'm a little thick!) I thought it was very important to answer all questions not just honestly, but also, in such a way that the interviewing officer would be obliged to probe my girlfriend and, in doing so, would learn, based on her answers, that she had every intention of returning to Thailand.
She got an interview quite quickly (I think the online website for that could be clearer) and, at the interview, the female officer was very tough, almost unfriendly, and tried to trip up my girlfriend with a few questions. But, we got the visa and everything's hunky-dory.
If there are any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

She can stay as long as the stamp on the I-94 says she can stay, when she arrives. It's usually 6 months. The visa expiration is the last date she can enter the U.S. The stamp on the I-94 determines how long she can stay once she arrives in the U.S.

Helpful information.

Thank you.

Congratulations.

Now some advice and suggestions. Despite having a visa, she can be denied entry by the immigration officer. Making it crystal clear to the officer that everything in the visa application is true AND she is planning to return to Thailand is her best bet for entry.

We have a friend whose brother (Thai) had a visa to attend a wedding. The immigration officer asked him if he would like to study in the US. He said yes and might look around. He was denied entry and put on the next flight back to Thailand.

Once again, congratulations and good luck.

Congratulations. Now some advice and suggestions. Despite having a visa, she can be denied entry by the immigration officer. Making it crystal clear to the officer that everything in the visa application is true AND she is planning to return to Thailand is her best bet for entry. We have a friend whose brother (Thai) had a visa to attend a wedding. The immigration officer asked him if he would like to study in the US. He said yes and might look around. He was denied entry and put on the next flight back to Thailand. Once again, congratulations and good luck.

the 1st time we went to the US it was just an over the border shopping trip from Vancouver to Washington State

i was prepared for a bunch of questioning

the officer at the booth asked where we lived and where we were going

we had to go inside to have her passport stamped and get her 6month paper stapled into her passport

that is the officer who makes the decision and he didn't ask her 1 question!

actually, we have been to the US 4 times now, and besides the normal question they ask when driving over the border, she has never been asked a question personally. i am quite surprised.

she also says that she used to get questioned a lot when dealing with Canada passport control but the last few times, not at all

i think that is due to her coming and going so much the last 4 years

Machaoom:

Thanks

430xc

We spent a long time filling out her application; they don't make it easy!
One of the questions is: "Did anyone help you fill out this application?" I think that's a trick question. If my girlfriend had answered no to that, I'm sure she would have been asked two questions at the interview and shown the door. I think the online application is far too sophisticated for the average, or even above average, Thai to understand (or maybe I'm a little thick!) I thought it was very important to answer all questions not just honestly, but also, in such a way that the interviewing officer would be obliged to probe my girlfriend and, in doing so, would learn, based on her answers, that she had every intention of returning to Thailand.
She got an interview quite quickly (I think the online website for that could be clearer) and, at the interview, the female officer was very tough, almost unfriendly, and tried to trip up my girlfriend with a few questions. But, we got the visa and everything's hunky-dory.
If there are any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Congratulation on the visa.

No, you are not thick.smile.png The online application can get you going in circles. Just when you think, you got it licked, it times out on you. Yes, it is imperative to be completely honest on the application and at the interview, it’s the only way to insure everyone is on the same page, and can’t get tripped up. Maybe her interviewer was having a bad day. Who knows? The one my GF had was very friendly. I suppose they all have their own way to conduct an informative interview. Good cop, bad cop thing.