Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

Just for a little balance:

The chart shows a near constant upward trend in average household incomes since the war, which we might expect with economic growth (and North Sea oil).

Surely balance would mean putting this beside a chart showing the distribution of income, with the gini co-efficent graph getting noticeable steeper in the Thatcher/Major years.

http://www.economicpopulist.org/files/u1/giniushouseholds.jpg

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for a little balance:

The chart shows a near constant upward trend in average household incomes since the war, which we might expect with economic growth (and North Sea oil).

Surely balance would mean putting this beside a chart showing the distribution of income, with the gini co-efficent graph getting noticeable steeper in the Thatcher/Major years.

http://www.economicpopulist.org/files/u1/giniushouseholds.jpg

The assertion was that her policies made people poorer. The chart shows that in the aggregate that simply isn't true. If you want to claim that people of limited education are beginning to fall behind income wise, I'm not going to argue with you. It's been happening everywhere and has nothing to do with Thatcher.

Her legacy and the reaction to her death by a sizeable minority in the UK is now making headlines over here. I personally find this gloating puerile and conterproductive but there is no doubt it is happening and there are talks of riots possible happening at the weekend or during and following the funeral .I sincerely hope this doesn't happen but this is part of the current UK political landscape. Maggie would have loved the furore and impact her death was having and would bat away any defenders of her name as being uneccessary. I certainly prefer her to her heir Tony Blair.Thankfully we still have freedom of speech in the UK .

Edited by beautifulthailand99

The whole point of selling auto / biography is to sell big in a short space of time. It's not the same as a musical anthem that will draw in royalties for decades to come.

That it ends up in pound baskets after eighteen months means little to its initial phenomena. Money was made.

Boon Mee, good stuff. A punch up on Ludgate Hill with the police beating protesters like they were miners.

It's not going to happen. There'll be top security for our guests and that will be that and quite right too.

If the idiots want a scrap they'll have to try Trafalgar Square.

• Like 1

I did laugh at this:

Thatcher: No Silence At Football Matches

News > National News
4:10am 13th April 2013.

Baroness Thatcher will not be formally remembered at football matches this weekend despite calls from some club chairmen and former footballers.

Following her death on Monday, Reading chairman John Madejski and Wigan Athletic boss Dave Whelan suggested that a minute's silence should be held at games as a mark of respect.

Sir Bobby Charlton also joined calls for a formal remembrance in her honour.

But the Premier League, Football League and Football Association have decided not to, with the FA stating they are an "apolitical organisation" and it is not their policy to honour political figures.

As if they'd get a minute's silence ( or even applause! ). Guaranteed sing song of "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead"!

http://www.thebee.co.uk/news/national-news/945063/thatcher-no-silence-at-football-matches/

And apparently Northumbria police have said they will not permit fascist salutes at the Tyne and Wear Derby.

That will upset her supporters.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Hoorah! The wicked witch is dead.

I find it hard to feel anything but joy at the death of someone who so callously destroyed whole communities and the lives of millions...

Mrs. Thatcher did not destroy any communities. Rather, those communities were dead or dying long before she arrived. The communities were akin to people in a vegetative state, on a respirator and feeding tube with no brain activity. Instead of wasting hundreds of millions on what could not be fixed, the money was better used to support those parts of society that were moving the country forward. Sorry, but if you think that the closure of polluting, obsolete coal mines was catastrophic, then perhaps you should consider that the life expectancies of the people in those communities have actually increased, and the UK carbon footprint has been reduced. More importantly, those dead and dying industries were replaced by new and innovative activities that gave young people a future. Not everyone wanted to work in a filthy coal pit or at a textile plant with equipment form the previous century

• Like 2

This is real class - not!

Margaret Thatcher funeral: protesters plan to line streets and 'turn their backs' on casket

Protesters plan to line the streets by St Paul's Cathedral on Wednesday so they can "turn their backs" on Baroness Thatcher's casket,

Hope They Arrest The Whole Sorry Lot

Arrested for what?

Sorry lot? A bit better than 'street vermin', that you called those opposed to Thatcher's policies before. You very conveniently forgot to answer my question (post 422).

I think that it's important not to let another evil regime occur again. Let the youngsters today know the truth. Also, important to let older people become aware of the truth.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

More photos of street vermin like this here

Thatcher 'Death Parties' indeed.wink.png

I'd be taking apart in some of these celebrations if I were in the UK.What surprises me is the picture of some young girls - they weren't alive when Thatcher was in power.

Thatcher divided a country for sure - but to call one half, 'vermin' says a lot about you. Are the 'street vermin' in all the photos or just some? Even Thatcher, wouldn't degrade herself to call the Left 'street vermin'.

I agree with you,is does pose the question of why these young people have so much hate against Thacher?when they can't have been old enough to have any interest in Politics while Thatcher was in office. Perhaps its been handed down from families,or maybe they are protesting for perceived effects on their lives,such as poverty,and the bleak run down bomb site type areas they are forced to live in,to name but two possibilities?

These young people are not 'protesting' due to any feelings about Thatcher, handed down from their families or otherwise. You only had to listen to the moron being interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show (by Jane Garvey) this lunchtime. His knowledge of Thatcher and her government was lamentable, as his blaming her for invading Iraq shows.

The other guest on that interview was an ex miner who had been on the picket lines during Scargill's strike. He said that even though he had personally suffered at the time, he felt such 'parties' were wholly inappropriate.

It is obvious that the 'protesters' are made up of two groups

• The usual SWP troublemakers.
  • Naive youngsters who think any excuse for a drunken party is acceptable.
You'd make a good politician!

You pick one moron being interviewed - if you think ALL the protesters are like this you are VERY mistaken.

One ex-miner says it inappropriate !!!! <deleted> man can't you see the power of the media. Is it just chance that the one in a hundred was interviewed???

A lot of gullible, brainwashed by the media types on this thread. Look at the facts.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

May have been said BUT I'll do it again:

What a sad indictment on free living people, IMHO there is no call for this type of bullshlt no matter what ones political persuasion may be.

Shame on these idiots, just shows their mentality dragging out a 40 year old song to put crap on this respected lady in her death. NOT a one of em would have the balls to pull this sort of stunt to her face. bah.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-13/w ... ts/4627024

• Like 2

NOT a one of em would have the balls to pull this sort of stunt to her face. bah.gif

What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course they would, and often did. She was reviled by a large section of the population whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

Reviled by a large section of the population?

OK, she never achieved more than 50% of the vote in any of her election victories; no PM ever has. Most voters in the UK always vote for the same party regardless, UK elections are won or lost by the votes of the so called floating voters.

There were, and still are, many who disagreed with her policies, but to say she was reviled by a large section of the population is ridiculous.

Reviled by a very small but very vocal minority is closer to the truth.

• Like 1

OK, she never achieved more than 50% of the vote in any of her election victories; no PM ever has. Most voters in the UK always vote for the same party regardless, UK elections are won or lost by the votes of the so called floating voters.

There were, and still are, many who disagreed with her policies, but to say she was reviled by a large section of the population is ridiculous.

I would call millions a large section of the population. Obviously you consider that an insignificant number.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I'd be taking apart in some of these celebrations if I were in the UK.What surprises me is the picture of some young girls - they weren't alive when Thatcher was in power.

Thatcher divided a country for sure - but to call one half, 'vermin' says a lot about you. Are the 'street vermin' in all the photos or just some? Even Thatcher, wouldn't degrade herself to call the Left 'street vermin'.

I agree with you,is does pose the question of why these young people have so much hate against Thacher?when they can't have been old enough to have any interest in Politics while Thatcher was in office. Perhaps its been handed down from families,or maybe they are protesting for perceived effects on their lives,such as poverty,and the bleak run down bomb site type areas they are forced to live in,to name but two possibilities?

These young people are not 'protesting' due to any feelings about Thatcher, handed down from their families or otherwise. You only had to listen to the moron being interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show (by Jane Garvey) this lunchtime. His knowledge of Thatcher and her government was lamentable, as his blaming her for invading Iraq shows.

The other guest on that interview was an ex miner who had been on the picket lines during Scargill's strike. He said that even though he had personally suffered at the time, he felt such 'parties' were wholly inappropriate.

It is obvious that the 'protesters' are made up of two groups

• The usual SWP troublemakers.
  • Naive youngsters who think any excuse for a drunken party is acceptable.
You'd make a good politician!

You pick one moron being interviewed - if you think ALL the protesters are like this you are VERY mistaken.

One ex-miner says it inappropriate !!!! <deleted> man can't you see the power of the media. Is it just chance that the one in a hundred was interviewed???

A lot of gullible, brainwashed by the media types on this thread. Look at the facts.

I'm always surprised by what little regard the so called "sympathizers" hold their people in, No good for nothing but mining, eh? My, you must hold them in high regard!

I would call millions a large section of the population. Obviously you consider that an insignificant number.

coffee1.gif

Millions?

Where do you get that figure from?

Don't say it's the millions that didn't vote for her; as already said most people in the UK vote for the same party time after time, regardless.

Also, as said, most of those who actively disagreed with her policies did not revile her, as the tributes since her death from most of her political opponents at the time have shown.

• Like 1

Millions?

Don't say it's the millions that didn't vote for her; as already said most people in the UK vote for the same party time after time, regardless.

Also, as said, most of those who actively disagreed with her policies did not revile her, as the tributes since her death from most of her political opponents at the time have shown.

Surely someone as divisive as she was, is reviled by at least 10% of the country and probably somewhat more.

That's millions.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Millions?

Surely someone as divisive as she was, is reviled by at least 10% of the country and probably somewhat more.

That's millions.

That's hysterical woman logic.

That's hysterical woman logic.

What's that post supposed to be? Ad hominem? Insulting me for no reason at all other than you assume I'm on the side of those who reviled PM Thatcher?

If so, that's pathetic.

Or is it just a misogynistic way of saying the logic isn't sound - if so, enlighten me with your rational manly insights.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Where do you get this 10% figure from?

Remember that revulsion is totally diffrent to disagree with and oppose.

It's a hypothesis (which I would have thought obvious from the way the post was written). You feel convinced that it's not even that many? Fair enough. I'd bet you are wrong. (I would bet you could find nearly 10% who reviled almost any major figure.)

So, it's a guess with no rationale to back it up.

I would bet you could find considerably more than 10% who reviled any major figure; depending on who and how many you asked.

Lies, damned lies and statistics!

Edited by 7by7

So, it's a guess with no rationale to back it up.

I would bet you could find considerably more than 10% who reviled any major figure; depending on who and how many you asked.

Lies, damned lies and statistics!

As is your argument that only a tiny minority despised her.