Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/margaret-thatcher-dies-age-87-1818018

Britain's first female prime minister Margaret Thatcher dies at age of 87
8 Apr 2013 12:52

HER children Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.

Margaret Thatcher.
REUTERS/Andrew Winning

FORMER prime minister Margaret Thatcher has died today following a stroke.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.

"A further statement will be made later."

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING NEWS: Former prime minister Baroness Thatcher dies peacefully at the age of 87 after suffering a massive stroke

By Martin Robinson

PUBLISHED: 11:52 GMT, 8 April 2013 | UPDATED: 12:04 GMT, 8 April 2013
Comments (85)

Death: Former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died today after a massive stroke

Former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died of a stroke today aged 87.

Her spokesman Lord Bell revealed the news that the former politician had passed away peacefully after a long battle with poor health.

Lord Bell said: 'It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.

'A further statement will be made later.'

Britain’s first and only woman prime minister, who won three consecutive general elections, has been in fragile health since she suffered a series of minor strokes more than a decade ago.

She suffered acute short-term memory loss and had a series of strokes over a decade.

She spent 11 years in Downing Street, the longest run by any 20th century prime minister.

In 1990, a leadership challenge forced her to leave No 10 and two years later she was made a life peer, as Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven.

In recent years she has led a quiet life cared for by her loyal housekeeper Kate. She suffered a minor stroke in 2002 which left her with short-term memory loss.

Her beloved husband Denis died in 2003 and her children Mark and Carol both live abroad.

Her health was thrust into the global spotlight this year with the release of a Hollywood film about her with Meryl Streep in the lead role.

Death: Former Prime minister Margaret Thatcher leaves Number 10 Downing Street for the last time after she was defeated by John Major in the Conservative Party leadership election of 1990

The Iron Lady drew criticism from David Cameron and others for concentrating on the dementia she has suffered. Miss Streep won an Oscar for the role.

Lady Thatcher was not well enough to join the Queen for a lunch with former and serving prime ministers as part of the Diamond Jubilee this summer. And two years ago she missed an 85th birthday party thrown in her honour by Mr Cameron at 10 Downing Street.

In October she was sufficiently well, however, to mark her 87th birthday with lunch at a restaurant in London’s St James’s district with Mark and his wife.

Iron Lady Baroness Thatcher, the grocer's daughter, who became the longest serving British prime minister of the 20th century, is expected to be honoured with a full state funeral at Wesminster Abbey.

Not since Winston Churchill has a politician been granted such a tribute. During her 11 years at Number 10 she changed not only the face of Britain but the entire world.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305751/BREAKING-NEWS-Iron-Lady-Margaret-Thatcher-dead.html#ixzz2PsBpOsbp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Maggie R I P

Just would like to say that this is one American that thought you were quite the lady and an excellent PM

RIP

Many considered her Britain's Ronald Reagan. In fact, Reagan and Thatcher were political soul mates. Reagan called her the "best man in England" and she called him "the second most important man in my life." The two shared a hatred of communism and a passion for small government. What America knew as "Reaganomics" is still called "Thatcherism" in Britain.

Like Reagan, Thatcher was an outsider in the old boys' club. Just as it was unlikely for an actor to lead the Republicans, the party of Lincoln, it was unthinkable that a grocer's daughter could lead the Conservatives, the party of Churchill and William Pitt -- that is, until Thatcher. She led the Conservatives from 1975 to 1990, the only woman ever to do so.

http://gma.yahoo.com/margaret-thatcher--britain-s--iron-lady--prime-minister--dies-120034251.html

You clearly know nothing of Gordon Brown's constituency.

Thankfully I can reassure you that it is impoverished....in a worse state than most places I have lived in the South East. I've lived all over England in the last 20 years....the south has nothing to whinge about.

I enjoyed the film The Iron Lady, and Meryl Streep was exceptional. It was high controversial for many reasons, and Thatcher's family hated the portrayal reportedly.

Despite mixed reviews, Streep's performance in the title role garnered near universal acclaim. The Times Kevin Maher said: "Streep has found the woman within the caricature."[21] David Gritten at The Telegraph commented; "Awards should be coming Streep's way; yet her brilliance rather overshadows the film itself."[22] Xan Brooks of The Guardian said Streep's performance "is astonishing and all but flawless".[23] Critic Baz Bamigboye of the Daily Mail wrote: "Only an actress of Streep's stature could possibly capture Thatcher's essence and bring it to the screen. It's a performance of towering proportions that sets a new benchmark for acting."[24] Richard Corliss of Time named Meryl Streep's performance one of the Top 10 Movie Performances of 2011.[25]

Becoming her most lauded performance since Sophie's Choice, Streep's portrayal ultimately garnered her the Academy Award for Best Actress (her 17th nomination and third award overall), as well as several other awards, including the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role, and the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama.[26][27] The film also won the Academy Award for Best Makeup.

Margaret Thatcher herself did not watch the film, nor did her children.[28]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Lady_(film)#Reception

She polarised opinion.

For me I will celebrate with Chicog.

As a Scot she did nothing for me or my communty.

Most north of the Watford gap will feel the same I suspect.

I was going to say... we will find out who are the northerners and southerners in this topic..

I thought she was a great PM, represented us well on the world stage.. like others have said she wasn't perfect.. but then none of them are.

totster smile.png

• Like 1

I am truly sorry to hear that. I was a partial liberal at the time she was PM, but i still liked her and admired her. Most Americans i believe felt that way.I recall one story from a former SAS. Apparently one of the scenarios they ran was one involving some captives holding Maggy (if a yank can call her that). She was touring the SAS facility including the mockup of the building that they were using to run Maggies scenarios. She asked to step in for her dummy so she could see SAS work in real time. (SAS only uses live ammo for their drills. They want NO lapses of concentration at any time). Anyhow all her assistants strongly objected, but she said, "nonsense!" or to that effect. well the exercise went off without a hitch (this is the SAS) and when asked how she felt about it, she said "Delighted!". Live ammo, shooting in the same room with the PM of the UK, and she thought it was fun! Thats Maggie. Thats the way i want to remember her.

Not quite right. She visited the "Killing House" which is a permanent facility for close quarters combat training that can be configured for different scenarios (1st SFOD-D -the public calls them "Delta Force" - used their idea to make an even better one), it was not set up to rehearse for a specific set of scenarios including an abduction of the PM, and it's sole purpose is for live fire exercises (I don't believe it's true that the SAS/SBS only use live fire for every exercise but certainly in the Killing House they do).

Others have done the same thing that Mrs Thatcher did but perhaps none so important - mind you Prince Charles and Diana watched participated in exercises including in the KH and Diana's hair got singed by a flash bang.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

You clearly know nothing of Gordon Brown's constituency.

Thankfully I can reassure you that it is impoverished....in a worse state than most places I have lived in the South East. I've lived all over England in the last 20 years....the south has nothing to whinge about.

And you clearly know nothing of the South East, even though you claim to have lived here.

Some of the UK's most deprived areas and areas of highest unemployment are in London and the South East.

We don't all live in big mansions with uniformed lackeys catering to our every whim!

(I assume you mean the South East of England; if you mean the South East of Scotland I'll take you at your word as I have never lived there.)

• Like 1