-"bangkok-Pattaya Hospital" - Still Terrible In My Experience

Tiger7Moth

i don't "seriously imagine" anything concerning your irrelevant statement about buying cars in Bangkok or Pattaya because i'm sure you have no idea about expensive car prices. and if you consider me foolish to pay more for a clean and efficiently run hospital over a dirty government hospital where people wait for hours (see postings) to save a few bucks then... so be it. not always, but most of the time i believe in the old wisdom "you get what you pay for!"

Actually the irrelevant nonsense about cars was all yours. I merely prolonged the analogy to point out your error. I invite you to re-read your comments to refresh your memory which appears to be failing a little.

You also dont appear to have noticed that I was specifically not comparing pay hospitals with government hospitals, but was comparing similar private hospitals that just happen to be in different locations. Having been in pay hospitals outside of Pattaya I can assure you that they are not necessarily any more or less dirty than the ones in Pattaya.

Others have pointed out that a different branch of the BPH group just a few tens of km away charges half the price to do the same tests that BPH does. You dont appear to have noticed this. Or are we to assume that in spite of them being in the same group they are also dirty and inefficient, perhaps just due to them not being in Pattaya? From personal experience I can confirm that the hospital in Sri Racha also does a perfectly competent job in clean surroundings and with staff that speak English, for a lesser price than that charged by BPH.

And indeed you still dont get the fact that just because you pay more for something does not necessarily make it better. It just makes it more expensive. And that really does apply to cars and hospitals and indeed just about everything else on the planet. Only an idiot would imagine otherwise.

Maybe your apparent lack on comprehension here goes some way towards explaining how BPH suckered you in so easily? There must be an explanation, after all.

my apparent lack of comprehension is nobody's business and the same applies to my judgment of hospitals or me "foolishly" spending money on medical care or for whatever.

for me, any "yada yada outside Pattaya is cheaper and the savings pay for many bottles of Chang" is irrelevant and that applies especially to wasted time driving to Sri Racha or Sattahip and then waiting for a doctor or for medical care.

as a summary i repeat the age old wisdom "you get what you pay for!" although exemptions might prove the rule and mileages do vary.

Clearly you're not aware of the age old wisdom "There's a sucker born every minute".

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my apparent lack of comprehension is nobody's business and the same applies to my judgment of hospitals or me "foolishly" spending money on medical care or for whatever.

for me, any "yada yada outside Pattaya is cheaper and the savings pay for many bottles of Chang" is irrelevant and that applies especially to wasted time driving to Sri Racha or Sattahip and then waiting for a doctor or for medical care.

Hmmm. If you wanted to say "I would rather pay more at BPH than spend 15 extra minutes in a car to go somewhere cheaper" why not just say so, instead of trying to pretend that there is some real difference in the treatment at BPH compared to cheaper places? Personally I rather enjoy the drive to Sri Racha and a wander around Robinsons afterwards, and I am in absolutely no hurry to do anything at all so this isn't an issue for me.

As for waiting, it has already been pointed out by others that you can wait just as long for treatment/appointments at BPH as anywhere else, if not more so. Indeed this was in fact the whole basis of the thread. Maybe you were too busy making appointments to actually read the thread before commenting?

For what it's worth I had a general check-up at Sri Racha booked and it started the second I arrived, and it continued without any breaks (apart from breakfast) until the whole procedure was finished several hours later. Short of having someone stand-in for me for some of the tests I dont see how anywhere else could have possibly done it more efficiently or quickly. My various dental appointments there have also all started bang on time and have continued to the end without any hold-ups.

i don't "seriously imagine" anything concerning your irrelevant statement about buying cars in Bangkok or Pattaya because i'm sure you have no idea about expensive car prices. and if you consider me foolish to pay more for a clean and efficiently run hospital over a dirty government hospital where people wait for hours (see postings) to save a few bucks then... so be it. not always, but most of the time i believe in the old wisdom "you get what you pay for!"

Actually the irrelevant nonsense about cars was all yours. I merely prolonged the analogy to point out your error. I invite you to re-read your comments to refresh your memory which appears to be failing a little.

You also dont appear to have noticed that I was specifically not comparing pay hospitals with government hospitals, but was comparing similar private hospitals that just happen to be in different locations. Having been in pay hospitals outside of Pattaya I can assure you that they are not necessarily any more or less dirty than the ones in Pattaya.

Others have pointed out that a different branch of the BPH group just a few tens of km away charges half the price to do the same tests that BPH does. You dont appear to have noticed this. Or are we to assume that in spite of them being in the same group they are also dirty and inefficient, perhaps just due to them not being in Pattaya? From personal experience I can confirm that the hospital in Sri Racha also does a perfectly competent job in clean surroundings and with staff that speak English, for a lesser price than that charged by BPH.

And indeed you still dont get the fact that just because you pay more for something does not necessarily make it better. It just makes it more expensive. And that really does apply to cars and hospitals and indeed just about everything else on the planet. Only an idiot would imagine otherwise.

Maybe your apparent lack on comprehension here goes some way towards explaining how BPH suckered you in so easily? There must be an explanation, after all.

as a summary i repeat the age old wisdom "you get what you pay for!" although exemptions might prove the rule and mileages do vary.

Clearly you're not aware of the age old wisdom "There's a sucker born every minute".

i am very much aware. i read Thaivisa every day and, extrapolating what i read, gives me the feeling that "a sucker is born every few seconds."

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

To the OP:

I really recommend against having Vaser Lipo done in a clinic setting. It is not safe to have any procedure involving general anesthesia (which this does) done outside of a hospital.

I can recommend Sikarin Hospital (Bang Na area not far from airport) http://www.sikarinaesthetic.com/contact_en.php

Dr. Narongdej there is quite good. (He's also at Vejthani but it costs less to do it at Sikarin).

i am very much aware. i read Thaivisa every day and, extrapolating what i read, gives me the feeling that "a sucker is born every few seconds."

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

Seems that you have turned into Victor Meldrew.

Agree wholeheartedly. Example: Went to the BPH with a broken hand. Total bill for consultation and dressing a very reasonable 1000 baht or so(this was a few years ago). After a while my dressing got dirty so thought to change it. The Doctor there did a very poor job(the dressing fell apart after a couple of days) and charges me 2000 baht. Huh? What? Random pricing. smile.png

Went to Phyathai in Sri Racha for a dental implant. Had the first part of the procedure done and had some other work done at the same time. Then I realised that if I paid a day later, the CC bill would be on the next month's bill and not the current month. So I asked the dentist if I could pay the next day. Without a blink of an eye, she agreed. Amazing woman and dentist. Popped back the next day to settle the bill and now have all my work done by the same person.

Used to hate going to the dentist. Not any more. smile.png

It's seems the 'premium brand' has a bit more of a bad reputation.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Hmmm. If you wanted to say "I would rather pay more at BPH than spend 15 extra minutes in a car to go somewhere cheaper" why not just say so, instead of trying to pretend that there is some real difference in the treatment at BPH compared to cheaper places? Personally I rather enjoy the drive to Sri Racha and a wander around Robinsons afterwards, and I am in absolutely no hurry to do anything at all so this isn't an issue for me.

As for waiting, it has already been pointed out by others that you can wait just as long for treatment/appointments at BPH as anywhere else, if not more so. Indeed this was in fact the whole basis of the thread. Maybe you were too busy making appointments to actually read the thread before commenting?

For what it's worth I had a general check-up at Sri Racha booked and it started the second I arrived, and it continued without any breaks (apart from breakfast) until the whole procedure was finished several hours later. Short of having someone stand-in for me for some of the tests I dont see how anywhere else could have possibly done it more efficiently or quickly. My various dental appointments there have also all started bang on time and have continued to the end without any hold-ups.

Is the hospital you are talking about that is in Sri Racha Phyathai Hospital?

Every year my husband gets his annual physical done at BHP cost in 2012 6000 baht.

This year company forgot to book so he went to BH rayong cost 3000 baht for exactly the same physical

What is the program that he selected for the 3000 thb physical. I see that many options are offered for different prices. Could it be he had fewer tests done in Rayong?

I ask cause I don't see any 3000thb physicals being offered there other than the very basic marriage physical for men

96fa2bb4b3aaa5f2119415f25a3c5474.jpg

And here is what is on offer at Phyathai Sriracha

http://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/en/other/Check-up-Packages.php

I'm interested in getting a yearly physical and I'm looking for where offers the best value for the service.

Thanks

Edited by Jayman

I ask cause I don't see any 3000thb physicals being offered there other than the very basic marriage physical for men

I'm interested in getting a yearly physical and I'm looking for where offers the best value for the service

It's very hard to tell from that poster what is and isn't included (tiny Thai font sizes, as usual), but I think that I had something between the "Working Male+" and the "Premier Male" at Phyathai for about 5000.

Discounts seem to be very common for all these test packages at all hospitals.

I'm interested in getting a yearly physical and I'm looking for where offers the best value for the service

It's very hard to tell from that poster what is and isn't included (tiny Thai font sizes, as usual), but I think that I had something between the "Working Male+" and the "Premier Male" at Phyathai for about 5000.

Discounts seem to be very common for all these test packages at all hospitals.

Hmmm... I wonder why...?

Because showing an artificially high list price and then discounting more or less all the time it is a fairly common marketing practice, widely used by shops and businesses all over the world.

And of course it would be in their interest to do the tests even at a big loss as the odds are that the client will need/want extra things doing, either straight away or in the future. It worked for me at Phyathai: I went in for a free dental check and ended up ordering two implants. That said, the price of the implants at 40K each was reasonable and the hospital implantologist is managing to do them when other implant places in Pattaya said it wasnt possible.

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital drug prices.

I went to the skin clinic for a skin allergy after an insect bite.

I declined to purchase the clinics small tube of skin cream, priced at 660Baht.

Fascino Drug Store had similar stuff fo 95Baht.

• Like 1

My wife was in a couple of weeks ago for the birth of our daughter. She was quoted the package price of 30K for regular birth and 40 for cesarean. When I mentioned my insurance company they said if the insurance company pays they aren't entitled to the package price. I said no problem I will pay up front and ckaim afterwards.

I paid and to cut a long story shirt there were some extra costs involved and someone sent the whole bill to the insurance company who paid it all. The doctor said that as the hospital made the error it was their duty to absorb the cost. The money I paid was given back to me in cash.

I have no complaint and to be honest the level of care was outstanding.

A day later we had to have a procedure done at short notice for my daughter, the nursery staff told us to go straight in and they did it for free, can't argue with that.

You do get what you pay for. Last time I was in a government hospital in another country I was adequately cared for. If you dont mind and can afford it I want that high level of treatment for my family.

A side note of little importance, 2 days after the birth a nurse came in and closed the curtains, then in came all the nurses singing and carrying a birthday cake for my wife, nice touch.

My friend, a Canadian, fell off a baht bus and broke his arm. He went to BPH for a 2 hour operation, which included steel pins, and cost US$6,500, which was paid by credit card. He continued to have pain for months afterwards and eventually went to his doctor in Canada. The Canadian doctor did x-rays and determined the break was not set correctly. Consequently, the operation was re-done, without pins, and all is better, no pain. Does BPH give refunds?

Edited by cigar7

We might wonder what the reaction of the PTB at the hospital.

For old, very old Brits who may have taken the "Daily Mirror", Does it still exist. ?

I am reminded of an acerbic columnist "Cassandra", who wrote disparagingly about "Liberace", particularly his gushing femininity.

Liberace was asked for a comment on the attack.

His reply.."I cried all the way to the bank":

They told me I needed to have my septum straightened, or I would develop a bone infection. When I told the ENT that I would like to be examined before being diagnosed, she got annoyed, and took a quick look at my snout. She then gave me a written estimate of 200,000B -not including 'incidental' costs. I payed 600B + a nurse fee, and then they wanted 6000B for the medicine. This consisted of antibiotics, anti histamines, nasal steroids, and pseudo ephedrine. I declined the medicine, and was very doubtful about the need for the operation because A. I had already had my septum straightened in Las Angeles, and B. the throat and sinus scope showed no infection or polyps. I went back to my doctor with this story, and she told me that the only other likely explanation for my sinus pain and pressure was a dental infection that was telegraphing it's pain, and that the infection had been there for some time, but had not erupted. She recommended a top dentist who confirmed her diagnosis.

For some reason, the ENT section at BH-P seems to be quite unreliable and inaccurate in their diagnoses and treatment. There have been several reports over the years here in this forum section -- including mine -- about the ENT section, and none of them have been positive. I see there is even another reference in this thread.

e.g. Over a period of about six weeks, I had recurrent/chronic ear infections and went through several (I think it was four) separate courses of antibiotics from the doctors at BP-H. I *hate* taking oral antibiotics when unwarranted, and was becoming alarmed that I had taken so many in such a short time, so I returned to my favorite ENT doctor at BNH hospital in Bangkok. It one visit, he correctly diagnosed my problem and prescribed a TOPICAL antibiotic which worked a charm. He also suggest that at the first inkling of a new infection, I syringe the ear canal with vinegar, and I have and it works!

I have replied to a similar topic before but I will do so again.

My background is medical for over 40 years. Besides being a qualified nurse, I am a nuerology technician, a cardiac technician, an audiology technician, a lung function technician and an allergy test technician. All my training was done in the Royal Army Medical Corps though the exams for each of the above were done in civilian establishments to make the qualifications valid.

I have gone to various private hospitals for treatment for myself and family, aswell as worked in one when covering for,a colleague of mine.

It is a fact that no matter what you initially go in for one is subjected to a whole barrage of tests some of which are meaningless to diagnos your condition. It is all about making money. The insurance companies really haven't a clue as to what tests are warranted for any particular complaint and the hospitals know this.

One time when I was standing in for my colleague asa audiologist in a private hospita in UK, a boy of 12 years was admitted into the private hospital for specialised x-rays followed by a relatively minor operation under general aneasthetic. The extensive tests that I had carried out before his admission showed without doubt that his hearing problem was congenital and that nothing medically or surgically could help him. I approached the doctor and asked why he was doing this as it would do no good, and he just shrugged and said 'well you never know'. This act in my opinion was disgraceful as it put the young boys life in danger as no general aneasthic is 100% safe. All in all it was just a way to bump up the bill for the insurance company. Three weeks later the boy was sent back to me by the consultant for a Hearing Aid which due to the unnecessary operation had to be much stronger and larger than would have been initially.

Many times in the past I have queried what the doctor has suggested making it known that I do know a little about medicine, their attitude normally changes then.

Unfortunatly the priorities of private hospitals is making money, not the care and well being of the patient.

Recently had severe tootache so went to see a dentist here in Thailand. The tooth that was troublesome had a cap on it which has been in place for over 25 years. The dentist took an x-ray and said there was an infection on the root. She asked me if I wanted her to take it out. I didn't want this mainly because it was one of my top front teeth. She then told me should would have to refer me to a specialist 50kms away as she could not take off the cap and that I need a removal of the root of the tooth. I asked if antbiotics would help. 'Not sure' was the reply. I left and went to pharmacy, bought antbiotics and 5 days later I was pain free.

Recently had severe tootache so went to see a dentist here in Thailand. The tooth that was troublesome had a cap on it which has been in place for over 25 years. The dentist took an x-ray and said there was an infection on the root. She asked me if I wanted her to take it out. I didn't want this mainly because it was one of my top front teeth. She then told me should would have to refer me to a specialist 50kms away as she could not take off the cap and that I need a removal of the root of the tooth. I asked if antbiotics would help. 'Not sure' was the reply. I left and went to pharmacy, bought antbiotics and 5 days later I was pain free.

She was right to say "not sure" and you were lucky that antibiotics did the trick. The pain could just as easily have come back a few days later, with a root canal being required for any sort of permanent cure. Not all dentists will do root canals, just as not all dentists will do implants, so it is entirely normal that she should want to send you to someone who does do that particular treatment.

Normally that specialist would only be a few minutes drive away at most if you live in a built-up area, or even in the same clinic. Where I go they have dentist who do implants, dentists who do root canals and dentists who do general dentistry, and none of them will do each other's jobs. I am happy with this because it means that the person who does whatever is needed for me on the day really does specialise in that particular task, and does it well.

An extraction seems to be a fairly common solution for general dentists in Thailand, presumably because fewer people here can afford the more expensive procedures that would normally be done in the West to save the tooth.

She was right to say "not sure" and you were lucky that antibiotics did the trick. The pain could just as easily have come back a few days later, with a root canal being required for any sort of permanent cure. Not all dentists will do root canals, just as not all dentists will do implants, so it is entirely normal that she should want to send you to someone who does do that particular treatment.

Normally that specialist would only be a few minutes drive away at most if you live in a built-up area, or even in the same clinic. Where I go they have dentist who do implants, dentists who do root canals and dentists who do general dentistry, and none of them will do each other's jobs. I am happy with this because it means that the person who does whatever is needed for me on the day really does specialise in that particular task, and does it well.

An extraction seems to be a fairly common solution for general dentists in Thailand, presumably because fewer people here can afford the more expensive procedures that would normally be done in the West to save the tooth.

To some extent I agree with you, there ae those that do specialise but all dentists (qualified) can do root canals. implants being fairly new and more difficult maybe not.

In the UK it is an offense not to try and save a tooth if that is possible. Not here though. Always the first option is to yank the tooth out. I do not call that proper dentistry.

Any medical practitioner or dentist abiding by the ethics code should always try non evasive treatment before surgery.

Any sort of infection should first try and be controlled by antibiotics and pain killers.

My point was this was not suggested to me or even offered when I asked the question. I took it on myself to try antibiotics which thankfully worked and after 6 months still ok.

Edited by Pormax

My background is medical for over 40 years. Besides being a qualified nurse, I am a nuerology technician, a cardiac technician, an audiology technician, a lung function technician and an allergy test technician. All my training was done in the Royal Army Medical Corps though the exams for each of the above were done in civilian establishments to make the qualifications valid.

I have gone to various private hospitals for treatment for myself and family, aswell as worked in one when covering for,a colleague of mine.

It is a fact that no matter what you initially go in for one is subjected to a whole barrage of tests some of which are meaningless to diagnos your condition. It is all about making money. The insurance companies really haven't a clue as to what tests are warranted for any particular complaint and the hospitals know this.

One time when I was standing in for my colleague asa audiologist in a private hospita in UK, a boy of 12 years was admitted into the private hospital for specialised x-rays followed by a relatively minor operation under general aneasthetic. The extensive tests that I had carried out before his admission showed without doubt that his hearing problem was congenital and that nothing medically or surgically could help him. I approached the doctor and asked why he was doing this as it would do no good, and he just shrugged and said 'well you never know'. This act in my opinion was disgraceful as it put the young boys life in danger as no general aneasthic is 100% safe. All in all it was just a way to bump up the bill for the insurance company. Three weeks later the boy was sent back to me by the consultant for a Hearing Aid which due to the unnecessary operation had to be much stronger and larger than would have been initially.

Many times in the past I have queried what the doctor has suggested making it known that I do know a little about medicine, their attitude normally changes then.

Unfortunatly the priorities of private hospitals is making money, not the care and well being of the patient.

One of the compelling arguments for govt funded hospitals and dentists is that it removes the profit motive from unscrupulous operators of which there are way too many in private practice.

I have spent my life trying to avoid doctors and dentists for a very good reason because no one cares about your health more than yourself.

• Like 2

One of the compelling arguments for govt funded hospitals and dentists is that it removes the profit motive from unscrupulous operators of which there are way too many in private practice.

I have spent my life trying to avoid doctors and dentists for a very good reason because no one cares about your health more than yourself.

Something like Houses of Horrors.

India,cheap damned good ,can be gotten there cheaply too. Go there a couple of times a year for preventative testing/whatever wants doing etc,just so so good

I have been to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital a few times over the last 10 yrs, for ear infection, malaria, badly cut foot, dental treatment and probably other things I have forgotten. I have had nothing but good treatment and very professional doctors and nurses treating me. My insurance company Bupa had no problem paying out for all and any treatment and they also visited me to see how things were. Also had visits from Dr Ian, the guy that is always racing cars, who followed up on a query I had. All in all, good service all round.