Thai Film Industry Is Riding High On The Success Of The Hit Movie ' Pee Mak'

webfact

BIG HIT
'Pee Mak' scares up some big Baht

The Nation

30203658-01_big.jpg
Mario Maurer and Davika Horne in a scene

BANGKOK: -- The Thai film industry is riding high on the success of the hit movie "Pee Mak Phra Khanong", which is expected to surpass Bt300 million after just two weeks in cinemas.

On Sunday alone, "Pee Mak" earned Bt29 million for a total of Bt261 million since its release on March 28.

Produced by the GTH studio and directed by Banjong Pisunthanakun, "Pee Mak" is based on the famous ghost story "Mae Nak Phra Khanong", about a young woman named Nak who dies in child birth while her husband Mak is away at war. He returns to his happy life at home, unaware that his wife is a fearsome ghost.

The story has been adapted for film and television dozens of times, among them 1999's hit "Nang Nak" by director Nonzee Nimibutr and a 3D version last year. There was even "Mae Nak in America". But Banjong's version adds a comic twist, with four of Mak's bumbling army pals accompanying him home. They try to figure out how to tell Mak his wife is a ghost without angering Nak.

The movie stars popular young actor Mario Maurer as Mak with Davika Hoorne as the ghostly wife.

"'Pee Mak'" has the potential to be the top-grossing Thai film of all time," said GTH executive producer Visute Poolvoralaks.

He expects it to reach Bt550 million and surpass the current record holder, 2001’s "Suriyothai", especially if the nationwide box-office figures are taken into account.

Currently, only cinemas in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are being counted for the industry's box-office totals, even though in recent years more multiplex cinemas have opened upcountry. Moreover, ticket prices have also increased in the years since "Suriyothai".

Director Banjong said he feels less certain that his movie will top "Suriyothai", but is confident it will earn at least Bt350 million.

There's also overseas revenue to account for, with "Pee Mak" opening over the weekend in Jakarta.

"The feedback from Indonesians has been great," said Banjong.

"They seem to be more involved with the gags than Thai audiences. And when Mario comes out, they scream out loud."

Visute, whose Tai Entertainment studio produced "Nang Nak", which was among the films that revitalised the flagging Thai film industry in the late 1990s, has enjoyed a string of hits at GTH, including last year's No 1 Thai movie "ATM Er Rak Error".

He admitted that the success of "Pee Mak" has exceeded his expectations and attributes the movie's success to audience word-of-mouth and the comic story that appeals to all ages.

However the success of "Pee Mak" hasn't helped another Thai film, the World War II romantic drama "Khoo Kam", which is based on a popular novel by National Artist author Thommayanti.

Released last Thursday by the M-Thirtynine studio, "Khoo Kam" has had disappointing returns, earning just Bt24 million in its first four days.

And even though the country's biggest theatre chain Major Cineplex is affiliated with M-Thirtynine, it scaled back screenings for "Khoo Kam" in favour of the more-popular "Pee Mak".

Like "Pee Mak", "Khoo Kam" is a well-worn tale that's been depicted on film and television many times before.

However, the new version by writer-director Kittikorn Liawsirikul has fallen flat with fans of the novel, who prefer the older melodramatic style of Thommayanti's language to the modernised dialogue in the movie.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-09

Film is funny makmak.

After watching it last night (English subtitles, and I understand about 50% of the Thai), all I can say is: There is still a vast chasm between Thai humor and western humor. I consider myself a person who enjoys a fair amount of humor. I can actually be found laughing until the tears roll once or twice a year. After ten years here, I believe I understand Thai humor (ergo: I know what makes them laugh, and even I can make them laugh), but I just don't find their 1940's movie humor and outlandish plot disconnections that funny.

As for this movie: While the Thai audience around me was in stitches for the full two hours, I managed two chuckles, as did a fairly well-educated Thai sitting near me (who later apologized for the inane nature of the flick).

The I-never-thought-it-would-end declarations of love between Pee Mak and his ghostly wife at the movie's end was even worse and longer than the typical Thai death scene of a hero. It's like, "Alright, you love each other, (other movies: "you're dying"); get on with it!"

Edited by Fookhaht