Fuses, Breakers, Amps, Max Load... Crossy!

Naam

So it is really pointing towards either sensor or relay problem. Dont think it would be the coil on the contactor.

Agreed.

I'm not sure we can get much further here to be honest. It can't be a hard fault as the fuse stays intact for long periods. A Thai sparks would put in a bigger fuse and see what blows up sad.png

@Naam, you are getting your full 45A supply.

Do those sensors really need slave relays to drive the contactor coils, or is there another function being performed by the relays?

with the present setup? you mean i don't have to change to MSBs???

Correct. I think the fault happens when the sensor kicks in, thus taking out the control fuse. Everthing will work fine untill the 'sensor' has been switched

why do i get 45A supply when there are fuses with 32A and MCBs with 40A?

It sounds like the fault happens when indeed the voltage drop by 10% and the control circuit kicks in, could be a lose wire, wrong connection, or faulty device sensor or relay.

You have 3 control circuits, 1 is bad for whatever reason. Look at the 2 good ones!! The items positions should be relative, but you will need to check that.

for one incident in five years i don't do anything because i'm not qualified to do the check and i don't know where to find a qualified electrician.

replacing the fuse and the melted holder takes 3 minutes. i have spare fuses as well as spare holders.

but the question is still whether i can replace these fuses with MCBs because i would save 2 minutes 59 seconds of work by flipping the tripped MCB if it happens again.

now tell me something interesting how my two 3-phase gadgets come into the picture although i have plans to replace the motors with single phase units.

No need now

i feel already quite guilty taking with my shit your precious time gentlemen. please contact me should one of you be in the Pattaya area and savour a good bottle of wine with me!

I will enjoy that!!!! and I will pm you!!!

Edited by Forkinhades

It sounds like the fault happens when indeed the voltage drop by 10% and the control circuit kicks in, could be a lose wire, wrong connection, or faulty device sensor or relay.

You have 3 control circuits, 1 is bad for whatever reason. Look at the 2 good ones!! The items positions should be relative, but you will need to check that.

that's an illogical conclusion. the fault was caused clearly by an overload of the phase because on this phase my 36k btu/h pool area aircon is connected. if the controls had kicked in, the fuse would not have cracked and the holder not melted. the latter indicates clearly a longer period of intense heat.

i feel already quite guilty taking with my shit your precious time gentlemen. please contact me should one of you be in the Pattaya area and savour a good bottle of wine with me!

please do that!

Your control fuses are indeed just doing protecting your control circuits. Take a look at the small yellow wire thats coming out of the bottom of your control fuses. Small cables NEED small fuses. That cable cannot handle 32 amps let alone 45 Amps.

As mentioned previosly the control fuses should at most be 10Amps, I think 2amp would be ok

Without a diagram we are really going to struggle here trying to work out what's popping the fuses.

Knowing what we now know I would NOT replace with bigger fuses, but 30A MCBs would be OK and easier to reset should they open.

overlooked that advice. thanks Crossy, that's what i will do.

please do that!

Afer songkran with pleasure

Your control fuses are indeed just doing protecting your control circuits. Take a look at the small yellow wire thats coming out of the bottom of your control fuses. Small cables NEED small fuses. That cable cannot handle 32 amps let alone 45 Amps.

As mentioned previosly the control fuses should at most be 10Amps, I think 2amp would be ok

SIR! YES SIR! stupid me SIR! why didn't i realise that before? but how do you explain that a 32A fuse burned its holder?

Without a diagram we are really going to struggle here trying to work out what's popping the fuses.

Knowing what we now know I would NOT replace with bigger fuses, but 30A MCBs would be OK and easier to reset should they open.

overlooked that advice. thanks Crossy, that's what i will do.

You really should consider lower rated MCBs for your control circuits. (post 98)

SIR! YES SIR! stupid me SIR! why didn't i realise that before? but how do you explain that a 32A fuse burned its holder?

small cable high resistence, dead short when sensor was called, lucky you did not have a fire biggrin.png

The fuses have no effect on your load, they feed only the sensors etc.

You actually have 43A (if that is actually the rating of the Safe-T-Cut MCBs), if they are not opening then no need to upgrade. A change to 50A MCBs would be acceptable to PEA on your 15/45 meter (it's what we have) if you need a few more Amps.

MCBs are cheap, why not try a 10A one in place of one of the fuses and see how it works before swapping all the fuses for MCBs?

Enjoy the Archa Forky, we have Kingfisher or Kingfisher in the hotel bar sad.png (in Bangalore, India)

• Like 1

The fuses have no effect on your load, they feed only the sensors etc.

You actually have 43A (if that is actually the rating of the Safe-T-Cut MCBs), if they are not opening then no need to upgrade. A change to 50A MCBs would be acceptable to PEA (it's what we have) if you need a few more Amps.

MCBs are cheap, why not try a 10A one in place of one of the fuses and see how it works before swapping all the fuses for MCBs?

you mean all our highly scientific exchange and me walking miles back and forth was for nothing? ohmy.png

Mrs Naam! unlock the bar. i do need a drink now!

Consider it a fitness regimen, we can have you running around again if you need instructions an replacing a light bulb smile.png

No problem Naam, it's been much more interesting than sitting in this hotel room (Indian New Year holiday today) smile.png

Consider it a fitness regimen, we can have you running around again if you need instructions an replacing a light bulb smile.png

No problem Naam, it's been much more interesting than sitting in this hotel room (Indian New Year holiday today) smile.png

you are either in Tamil Nadu or Kerala? right?

Bengaluru (Bangalore), Karnataka.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), Karnataka.

i knew it had to be the south. but it's India... therefore my condolences!

After reading this thread I think that I will go out and disconnect my meter and run an extension to my neighbor's house and let him worry about the CU. OOPS! I can't find my eye glasses that I had 10 minutes ago so I can't disconnect the meter and I just remembered that I don't have any neighbors!

I just want to know why the heck a guy would need 19 air conditioners in his house for? wink.png

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you (OK Naam would).

This question is not permitted wink.png

I just want to know why the heck a guy would need 19 air conditioners in his house for? wink.png

must be some weird chap indeed! w00t.gif

i might be wrong but i think he uses the aircons for cooling his house when it's too hot for his liking? ermm.gif

Edited by Naam

After reading this thread I think that I will go out and disconnect my meter and run an extension to my neighbor's house and let him worry about the CU. OOPS! I can't find my eye glasses that I had 10 minutes ago so I can't disconnect the meter and I just remembered that I don't have any neighbors!

He actually did not want to disclose this information for.............