Chiang Mai Gears Up For Chinese Invasion

webfact

Chiang Mai gears up for Chinese invasion

CHIANG MAI: -- Songkran, the traditional Thai New Year celebration from April 13 to 15, promises to be a chiefly Chinese affair in Chiang Mai this year, thanks to the popularity of the Chinese film "Lost in Thailand".

"Chinese tourists account for 55 per cent of our bookings for Songkran this year," said Phunat Thanalaopanich, president of the Thai Hotels Association's northern chapter.

"Altogether we are expecting 95-per-cent hotel occupancy rates, including Chinese, European, Thai and other Asian guests," he said.

The celebration is also called the water festival, as it features playful splashing to cleanse oneself from the old year and help cool off during the hot, dry season. Chiang Mai has never been high on the destination list for tourists from China, even last year when an estimated 2.7 million Chinese visited the Kingdom, outdoing Malaysia for the first time.

But only about 100,000 of those tourists visited Chiang Mai, 600 kilometres north of Bangkok, according to government estimates.

"Normally Chinese prefer going to the beach," said Wisoot Buachoom, Northern region director of the Tourism Authority ofThailand (TAT).

"Chiang Mai is seen as more suitable for the European market as a cultural and historical city," Wisoot said.

"Lost in Thailand", a low-budget Chinese comedy released in December that has become the country’s largest-grossing, domestically made film, has proved to be the TAT’s best marketing investment.

The government office gave the film’s Chinese producers Bt2 million to shoot it primarily in Chiang Mai and feature some of the city’s famous attractions, Wisoot said. Some of the featured sights, such as a beautiful transvestite praying at an ancient Buddhist temple, were not wholly appreciated by Thai officials, but no one is complaining about the results.

During the Chinese New Year festival, which fell on February 10, Chinese tourists accounted for 50 per cent of Chiang Mai’s 40,000 hotel-room bookings, up more than 30 per cent from last year, Phunat said.

"We were taken by surprise. When we asked them, why are you coming to Chiang Mai, they answered, because of the film 'Lost in Thailand'."

Chinese visitors are faithfully touring the locations in the film’s plot-line, which follows a pair of businessmen trying to find their boss in Thailand, with a Chinese tourist they meet on the way.

The itinerary includes elephant rides, visits to temples, sampling spicy Thai cuisine and a chase scene at Chiang Mai’s Night Bazaar.

"They are chiefly interested in the Lanna culture and shopping, especially wooden handicrafts," Phunat said.

Not everyone has been happy with the influx.

Some Thai tourists complained that the Chinese were rude and pushy during the Chinese New Year, according to newspaper reports.

While hoteliers were unprepared for the sudden influx of Chinese in February, they have geared up for Songkran.

"In our rooms we have a brochure in Chinese explaining how to follow Thai customs and what you shouldn’t do," Phunat said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-10

"on slot"

"Gearing up for" should read "Braising for the unclean and rude Chinese on slot ".

"on slot" is crying out for a [sic] or equivalent. And, for that matter, Braising. Is language your first tongue?

"Gearing up for" should read "Braising for the unclean and rude Chinese on slot ".

I guess you don't have any Chinese friends to make such a sweeping racist judgement?

The "racist judgement" I think you are referring to, given that northernboy hasn't expressed any substantially new information in his post, was well expressed in the original post: "Some Thai tourists complained that the Chinese were rude and pushy during the Chinese New Year, according to newspaper reports.", though I'm not sure how 'racist' it is given that the Chinese are not themselves a 'race'. Perhaps you mean "ethnically biased".

Edited by neek

I guess you don't have any Chinese friends to make such a sweeping racist judgement?

The "racist judgement" I think you are referring to, given that northernboy hasn't expressed any substantially new information in his post, was well expressed in the original post: "Some Thai tourists complained that the Chinese were rude and pushy during the Chinese New Year, according to newspaper reports.", though I'm not sure how 'racist' it is given that the Chinese are not themselves a 'race'. Perhaps you mean "ethnically biased".

I know what I mean,and this is probably one of the most racist forums I have ever come across,but makes a change from the Thai bashing.

• Like 1

What is wrong with being a Racist? Everyone in the world is a racist when they need to be. People must be allowed to express their feelings. Also,I beleive the word Racist is reasonably new in the english language.Or am I a racist for merely suggesting this?

he has though expressed so

What is wrong with being a Racist? Everyone in the world is a racist when they need to be. People must be allowed to express their feelings. Also,I beleive the word Racist is reasonably new in the english language.Or am I a racist for merely suggesting this?

Yes, nothing racist about it. Just observation. It is like saying that Israelis are arrogant. Not racist. Just reality. Ever tried boarding a bus in China? They don't behave like Thais and that is the problem in a nutshell.

• Like 1

Having worked in China for 5 years, he is not off the mark, though the English could use a scrubbing. Most rudest and uncivilized people I've ever encountered. Call me a racist if you want.

• Like 1

Having worked in China for 5 years, he is not off the mark, though the English could use a scrubbing. Most rudest and uncivilized people I've ever encountered. Call me a racist if you want.

Fairly sweeping statement for a country of 1.3 billion people. May I ask just where it was you were in China to form such an opinion?

Fairly sweeping statement for a country of 1.3 billion people. May I ask just where it was you were in China to form such an opinion?

Southern and Northern China, but to be specific for you; Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Suzhou. I like painting my racist pictures with a big brush.

• Like 1

Xenophobia may be the issue here.

more like people behaving badly

... who all happen to be visiting from China.

You racist!

Idiot. Phobia is fear of something, not hatred or discrimination. I don't hate racists, either.

lol, i think it's funny how both the article mentions instructions on how the "Chinese can observe Thai customs" and people on this forum saying how rude they are...listen, i'm 100 % Chinese (American) and come from NYC. I can attest to how rude, pushy and obnoxious MY PEOPLES can be :) ...I see it daily on the subways/ buses. When I flew into Phuket via Air Asia back in Feb., I thought I was still back home as the mainland-Chinese were just as pushy/aggressive in boarding/unloading the plane. When my cousin, a female went to visit China a few years ago, she told me how rude the other women are as they just cut you in line for the bathroom. And my Taiwanese uncle prefers to not take Chinese airlines as he knows how stressful the trip will be, lol. I don't think anyone's being racist here, lol...i know you can't make stereotypical statements,but there is def a "cultural difference" btwn Thai and Chinese...sabai-sabai everyone :)

• Like 1

Yeah, man, nothing wrong with being racist. It is perfectly okay to tar an entire people with an uncouth attribute because some subset at some point displayed that attribute. Like, I mean, I've seen a few Brits scratch their <deleted> and then smell their fingers, so clearly all Brits do that, even The Queen. I'm just making an observation, not being unkind or foolishly ignorant.

T

I have to admit to elbowing an elderly Chinese lady quite viciously at a ticket counter at a railway station in Hangzhou. I was at the window, and they were coming in from both sides. Said elderly Chinese lady's elbow was demonstrating to me how to do it, and they were hefty nudges - couldn't understand how one so little and old could have that much strength in her arms.

Probably years of practice have built up the appropriate muscles tongue.png

Edited by Konini

I have to admit to elbowing an elderly Chinese lady quite viciously at a ticket counter at a railway station in Hangzhou. I was at the window, and they were coming in from both sides. Said elderly Chinese lady's elbow was demonstrating to me how to do it, and they were hefty nudges - couldn't understand how one so little and old could have that much strength in her arms.

In her youth perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbMLeeV1ww

Check out the "Pink Army" near the end!

1508946.GIF

In her youth perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbMLeeV1ww

Check out the "Pink Army" near the end!

1508946.GIF

Not. just cool - supercool!

• Like 1

Well I am sure it has been good for many businesses in Chiang Mai, but I can tell you from daily experience that it is hell for all of us motorcycle riders. The Chinese tourists are nightmares on a motorbike. I have never seen anything like it! I hope there is a new hot movie in China this year featuring someplace that it not Chiang Mai :)