Obtaining A New (First) Uk Passport At The British Consulate, Chiang Mai

naboo

I've emailed them with no response.

I need to apply for a first passport for my daughter. The UK in Thailand website says I must visit the embassy in Bangkok, but I can't navigate my way through the FCO site to the British Consulate. A friend said his friend got a first passport at the consulate in Chiang Mai. So I'm not sure.

I'd go down and ask myself, but they only open 9am-11am.

Edited by naboo

The staff at the UK Consulate are very helpful. Call them during office hours and they will explain what is required. Note that as mentioned above, office hours are not the same as visiting hours.

Also note that even the simplest services seem to cost an arm and a leg.

The Consulate in Chiang Mai
198 Bumrungraj Road
Muang

Chiang Mai 50000
Thailand

Email
[email protected]

Telephone
+66) (53) 263 015

Office hours: (Local time)
Monday to Thursday, 8am to 4.30pm
Friday, 8am to 1pm

Consular visiting hours: (Local time)
Monday to Friday, 9am to 11.30pm

• Like 1

As Greenside said, their services are expensive, but they have a monopoly on these services so not much you can do about it. The ladies at the CM consulate are lovely. They are also very professional and helpful.

• Like 1

You need to fill a form in, attaching the original translation of the birth certificate from Thai to English, you also need your original birth certificate, the full one not the shortened version, copies of your passport and visa.

The best way is to talk to the consulate on the phone, the people I've spoken to were very helpful. The fee is around 6000 Baht which includes postage for the application to go to Bangkok and then onto Hong Kong and the passport returned to your home address.

No idea why other people have said you need to go to Bangkok, it's not true. I wish people would not post answers when they don't know what they're are talking about.

• Like 2

As its for a kid, could this not be done by post in the UK (UKPA or whatever its called now) - I mean sending some photos to Grandma back in Blighty along with the filled in form (probably can download it in PDF or get granny to send it after a PO visit) and other papers (birth certs etc) and send it from there - then DHL it back when it arrives on Grannies doorstep.

Edited by wolf5370

As its for a kid, could this not be done by post in the UK (UKPA or whatever its called now) - I mean sending some photos to Grandma back in Blighty along with the filled in form (probably can download it in PDF or get granny to send it after a PO visit) and other papers (birth certs etc) and send it from there - then DHL it back when it arrives on Grannies doorstep.

And the Birth certificate shows the child was born where?

Try and buck the rules and you open a can of worms you wish you hadn't.

Better to go and see the nice ladies at the CM Consulate.

• Like 1

You can obtain a UK passport and register the birth of a British citizen. More on the registration:

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

I did both because you just don't know what the future holds. But I know that now my kids have UK passports and are registered as British citizens with the General Register Office in the UK and I have proof from them that they are British citizens. It cost more but I think well worth doing.

If its a British birth cert, then it doesn't matter. If no British birth cert, then I'd get that done first (as I did for my kids) and then do it via family and DHL.

It is not bucking the system as passports have been available via post for many years - the only difference is that you are not paying double for HK to forward your application for you (passport is still send from the UK anyway).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

If anybody is still looking at this forum I would appreciate some help! I am about to apply for a first passport for my daughter, born in Thailand. I am not married to the mother and do not live in Thailand. I have not been able to get through to the Embassy or consul in Bangkok. From everything I read the application must be made in person by the mother who has parental rights. My question is, does she have to go back to the Embassy to collect the passport when ready or can it be couriered to an address outside Thailand? i.e. to myself or to the mother who wants to move to a different country. Appreciate any help from someone with similar experience.

Question... Do I have to apply in person with my daughter in BKK to get her a passport...? This is implied on their website, but not clarified!

thanks

(I think it said that first passports had to be applied for in person, but not which person, child or parent or both parents or all 3!!!...)

Edited by DavidOxon

You need to fill a form in, attaching the original translation of the birth certificate from Thai to English, you also need your original birth certificate, the full one not the shortened version, copies of your passport and visa.

The best way is to talk to the consulate on the phone, the people I've spoken to were very helpful. The fee is around 6000 Baht which includes postage for the application to go to Bangkok and then onto Hong Kong and the passport returned to your home address.

No idea why other people have said you need to go to Bangkok, it's not true. I wish people would not post answers when they don't know what they're are talking about.

I have just sent off to the UK for a new passport, as far as I am aware All passports come from the UK now, they no longer come from HK. Changed a few months ago.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have just sent off to the UK for a new passport, as far as I am aware All passports come from the UK now, they no longer come from HK. Changed a few months ago.

Correct!

All now processed though Liverpool !