Songkran Water Drenching Loi Kroh April 11

huli

My wife, daughter and I just got back from dinner at the new Teak House Restaurant on Loi Kroh. I was really surprised and not pleased to take a bucket of water to my back from farangs while making a turn on my motorcycle onto a busy street near the corner of Loi Kroh and the moat. My wife got the same from a bargirl while on her motorcycle.

OK, tomorrow is fair game but today is the 11th and it is after dark, and a moving motorcycle with busy traffic? Apparently I need to readjust my expectations. Next year the 10th?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sympathise with you but about 5 years ago I went to see an old friend near the 'White Temple' in Chiang Rai province and I got drenched - It was 1st April and no April Fools as they were at it for the next three weeks. What I don't know is when they started.

Edited by Khelang Velo

Was having a bit of a water fight on muang muang today. There were some Thai photographers, possibly from a real newspaper taking photos. I watched a farang fill a bucket and look to throw it at them. I said.. "careful mate hes got an expensive camera". "Who gives a f***" and threw it at the photographer.

This is not the spirit of songran. The guy was a total C*** if i had been bigger and braver and nobody was looking i would have elbowed him in the face.

I just hate these kinds of people... no respect!

well with that attitude you can bet that a Thai will lash out at him...not in songkran though

Was having a bit of a water fight on muang muang today. There were some Thai photographers, possibly from a real newspaper taking photos. I watched a farang fill a bucket and look to throw it at them. I said.. "careful mate hes got an expensive camera". "Who gives a f***" and threw it at the photographer.

This is not the spirit of songran. The guy was a total C*** if i had been bigger and braver and nobody was looking i would have elbowed him in the face.

well with that attitude you can bet that a Thai will lash out at him...not in songkran though

If he did that to me.. id push him in front of a speeding car.. oops i slipped "accident.. who gives a f***"

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Oh no! I wonder where these fresh foreign tourists who rightly have no knowledge of the bizarre local culture and interaction got the idea to do all this! rolleyes.gif

Getting drunk and throwing water around songkran time! The savages! Were there no underage Thai girls writhing topless on top of cars yet, like last songkran? rolleyes.gif

Edited by pilm

Lets put it one way, it is what it is, and that is all that can be said! I hate the tor ist making it fun for more than the expected, but it is the reason why C M is the top place to go in Thailand for Songkran. We have all been there! making are way on the expected journey, to be drenched by the heinous reaches that throng our main thorough fairs when all we want is a bowl of noodles or a pack of fags in the morning. We moan and bitch, but truthfully, would you be anywhere else!

"We moan and bitch, but truthfully, would you be anywhere else!"

Truthfully, yes. Almost anywhere else. I know Thais who agree.

But you are correct:

It is what it is; right is right; a fact's a fact; a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Hope so. Also.. same bar. An isralie guy outside the bar, backed up his bike to avoid getting drenched.. ok fair enough. Backed into a pickup behind him, very slowly of course. Pickup guy comes out and start shouting at the guy and took the key out of his bike and started demanding money. There were several big scratches on the pickup obviously not made by someone pushing a scooter into it. The bar girls took the isralie guys side (they hadnt even met him) and told him not to pay and the girls were going to be a witness on behalf of the isralie guy (which actually surprised me a bit). The pickup guy took the keys from the scooter so he couldnt drive away. The girls negotiated with the pickup guy for a good 15 mintues and eventually got the keys back. Isralie guy said something rude to the girls and then went without thanking them, offering them a drink, or even a smile. Horrible. What is with people these days?

>Was having a bit of a water fight on muang muang today. There were some Thai photographers, possibly from a real newspaper taking photos. I watched a farang fill a bucket and look to throw it at them. I said.. "careful mate hes got an expensive camera". "Who gives a f***" and threw it at the photographer.

I just hate these kinds of people... no respect!songkran though

It seems to be a cultural thing.

I have heard of hotels that will not even rent an Israeli a room.

I feel doomed. A cousin comes in tomorrow to late for the water but totally unprepared for this. On the other hand it should be no big deal to her she is coming up from Pucket where she had been taking scuba diving lessons. Any one interested in showing her all the sights. LOL

Unaware of any Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate.

the Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate

Erm.. the BBC.. the Beer Bar Centre .. was Chiang Mai's madhouse from the eighties to about 2001 when Loa Kroh Rd opened up

The boxing ring was surrounded by well patronised beer bars entertained by young lady boxers.. blind folded boxers.. kid boxers.. and various other acts that included a Thai guy who would get well off his face before performing his 'fire dance act' . good job my reactions were quicker back then..

• Like 1

Unaware of any Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate.

the Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate

Erm.. the BBC.. the Beer Bar Centre .. was Chiang Mai's madhouse from the eighties to about 2001 when Loa Kroh Rd opened up

The boxing ring was surrounded by well patronised beer bars entertained by young lady boxers.. blind folded boxers.. kid boxers.. and various other acts that included a Thai guy who would get well off his face before performing his 'fire dance act' . good job my reactions were quicker back then..

Before my time, but sorry I missed it :)

"We moan and bitch, but truthfully, would you be anywhere else!"

Truthfully, yes. Almost anywhere else.

I too would be anywhere else, the proof being that I in fact am. Have left Chiangmai to spend three weeks in Bali, for about the fifth Songkran in a row.

• Like 1

I haven't been hit with water from a water cannon yet, I reckon that'll come today whether I want it or not.

As an earlier poster commented, it is what it is. Songkran has evolved into the only Thai holiday that I don't care for due to how it's evolved.

Btw, I was splashed on the 10th on Nimanhaemin also.

Farang are the worst. They have been instrumental in ruining a once civilised festival.

I think you'll find the Thais did that all by themselves.

I don't know the whole story on that. But I do know that coming home one year from Pichet at the height of Songkran we drove through several communities where the road through town was every bit as busy with the water from people lining the road throwing it at vehicles going by many of them trucks with people in the back and a barrel of water.

These were not Farong people doing this. They were Thais. Can't say if they did it after dark or days early but they were no different than Chiang Mai along the moat except it was the main road through town.