Enforcement Of Thai Debts On My Way Out?

FunFon

As to speculations as the causes of my financial demise, my addiction to sex with eager young athletic cuties is certainly the primary cause of many contributory factors, but not at all directly related to my financial situation over the past several years.

A bad decision to leave a well-paid full-time job four years ago - motivated by my single-parent status, youngest still an infant at the time, and the first year I was able to keep an income level at 80%+ of my previous salary by tutoring private students in my home and freelance corporate TEFLing etc. Changing demographics among the student population and my connections at my previous school drying up combined to incrementally reduce this over time, combined with greater expenses as I was trying to pay for private school fees at the time.

By the time I started looking again for full-time work, things were pretty bad, and I wasn't aware just how much the climate had changed in that decent-paying jobs (50k+) really do require properly documented degree status.

However I'll also admit my sex addiction certainly contributed to my not pulling the plug sooner - OK get the whips out. . .

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get excellent service by the well-trained staff at the best-run American hotel chains, especially in America where they are confident of receiving tips.

I don't get to stay there for completely free, especially since I'm elderly, fat and balding.

-

I haven't been to Pattaya in eight years now, and have no interest in ever returning.

50's and bald probably describes half the guys in the forum Beetlejuice.

And I have never posted concurrently under more than one ID, and can't see any reason for doing so, doesn't push my buttons any more than playing video games (i.e. zero interest in playing)

Yes it is true that any one of the people in my "rescue committee" contributing the relatively small amounts toward my already-budgeted exit costs could in theory fund the much greater amount due the landlord.

However I've been unable to persuade any of them to actually do so.

None of them want me to renege on the debt, but are happy to see it paid off over time from home, and when I bring up the fact that the landlord could in theory block my exit, the response so far has been "we'll deal with that if we come to it, in the meantime do what you have to do to try to prevent that from happening."

Which has also been the advice from many of the constructive posters here, both in the thread and more so via PM. Some have gone so far as to actually offer to lend me further money if needed, which I greatly appreciate, but so far the only way I can see that making sense is via my wager proposal above, due primarily to the extreme entertainment value that would provide when the doubting Thomases learn every word is true. laugh.png

The only drama I would like to see is the one where the IMM folks take him into the side room at the airport based on the over-stay and leaving the country with 2 young kids in tow (and a stack of official looking papers on sole custody) and see how many questions this guy can answer before such questions by the IMM folks force him into rendering a few 'inconsistencies'.

• Like 1

RandomSand, on 15 Apr 2013 - 04:24, said:

The OP could have gone to any lawyer experienced in immigration law and had his initial questions answered "de facto". Instead he's spent countless hours on this site without making any real progress.

-

Actually I feel the time spent has been very productive, and I don't know any such lawyers willing to work pro bono.

-

...It would seem that the OP has already decided to leave Thailand one way or another.

-

Absolutely, as long as the kids come with me.

-

As for the method of transport if returning with children; I would have thought it best to break the travel into two legs: 1. Firstly Malaysia or Singapore. 2. and then when out of Thailand book the more expensive long haul tickets.

-

The current plan is to not give the landlord any reason to take drastic action but continue as we've agreed until we are able to go. In my heart I think the chance that she would do so if I were honest with her is less than 10%, but the downside risks are so great I'm now not willing to take my idealism so far as to endanger my kids.

Therefore the extra expense incurred by your suggestion seems to be unnecessary.

JLCrab, on 15 Apr 2013 - 06:05, said:

The only drama I would like to see is the one where the IMM folks take him into the side room at the airport based on the over-stay and leaving the country with 2 young kids in tow (and a stack of official looking papers on sole custody) and see how many questions this guy can answer before such questions by the IMM folks force him into rendering a few 'inconsistencies'.

-

I've discussed the overstay issue with dozens of people with direct experience and every indication is that you simply stand in the queue, show your ticket out and shell out the 20K, get a stamp and off you go.

I would imagine having two young children in tow would actually help facilitate that part of the process, as long as they were satisfied there isn't any custody issue, and of course the current plan is to have their mother along anyway.

Are you suggesting I first take the overstay trip separately and come back in as a tourist before heading out with the family on a second trip?

GooEng, on 15 Apr 2013 - 04:18, said:

likewise the mother with a jacuzzi who won't actually be accomodating him, but housing him in a poolhouse up the road!

mind you anything is an improvement on living under a bridge waiting for unsuspecting goats to eat!

-

Are you suggesting such accommodations are substandard? Personally I'd be happy camping out on the concrete floor of the dairy barns milk rooms, beggars can't be choosers.

But believe me the poolhouse is spacious and comfortable enough, includes the sauna as well as the hot tub, and a 10-foot 300-year-old carved oak snooker table. My only concern there is safety as the doors open right onto the pool area, the kids aren't yet very good swimmers and their mother has a habit of napping in the daytime (as do most rural Thais it seems).

JLCrab, on 15 Apr 2013 - 06:05, said:

-

I've discussed the overstay issue with dozens of people with direct experience and every indication is that you simply stand in the queue, show your ticket out and shell out the 20K, get a stamp and off you go.

I would imagine having two young children in tow would actually help facilitate that part of the process, as long as they were satisfied there isn't any custody issue, and of course the current plan is to have their mother along anyway.

Are you suggesting I first take the overstay trip separately and come back in as a tourist before heading out with the family on a second trip?

What I will suggest is that IMM officials of all countries have an uncanny ability to sense when something is wrong. All one has to do is look at your choice of this forum topic heading to know even you know that something is wrong. and letting you exit alone or with others is totally at the IMM official's discretion.

Edited by JLCrab

What I will suggest is that IMM officials of all countries have an uncanny ability to sense when something is wrong. All one has to do is look at your choice of this forum topic heading to know even you know that something is wrong. and letting you exit alone or with others is totally at the IMM official's discretion.

-

Of course there are lots of things wrong, but I can't see how the border guards would concern themselves even if I volunteered every detail of my situation, probably wouldn't give a stuff. Fact is I'm heading home because I can't make a go of it in Thailand, I'm happy to state that and they're likely to wish me the best of luck and on my way, happy to see the back of another farang kee nok!

It just gets better and better.

-

Why thanks, we do our best. Did I mention I'm writing an ebook? I'll be marketing it through TV.com sponsorship, and contributors to this thread will qualify for a discount.

Got the idea from a friend of mine, and George thought it was a good idea at the time.

troll.jpg

-

-

All those comments about living under a bridge I thought referred to the Thai saying about poverty, that's their expression for a homeless person. You've all be referencing the Brothers Grimm eh? Yes I realise I've been slow on the uptake.

But I've posted a challenge, put your money where your mouth is, I'm happy for every cent to go directly to my landlord as long as we can find a way that doesn't endanger my security. I've got a friend who's an attorney working in Bangkok, he's currently overseas on holiday but when he gets back (25th?) maybe we can work out some sort of escrow??

Just as a thought experiment, I'd be very curious to know if you were betting, which details you think are the least likely to be true and how much you'd put at stake to find out. . .

Edited by FunFon

Under Thai Penal Code OFFENCE OF CHEATING AGAINST CREDITORS if your land lady got wind that you were fleeing the country without making arrangements to settle your debt to her as a creditor she could file criminal charges against you and notify immigration officials as such ... but you seem to think all your noble actions would be above any such fray.

BTW Oprah has already been stung by a couple of totally fraudulent book authors so I doubt she would risk another one even if there was something interesting and engaging about which you may write.

Under Thai Penal Code OFFENCE OF CHEATING AGAINST CREDITORS if your land lady got wind that you were fleeing the country without making arrangements to settle your debt to her as a creditor she could file criminal charges against you and notify immigration officials as such ... but you seem to think all your noble actions would be above any such fray.
BTW Oprah has already been stung by a couple of totally fraudulent book authors so I doubt she would risk another one even if there was something interesting and engaging about which you may write.

-

Yes I'm completely aware of that as well as many other "unusual" aspects of the so-called "legal system" of the kingdom, which I give all the respect it deserves.

And no idea why you're bringing Oprah into this?

JLCrab, on 15 Apr 2013 - 07:14, said:

Write a book

-

I am of course currently engaged in doing so, and all of you have been helping me with the first draft, which is why I'll be offering you the discount.

sustento, on 15 Apr 2013 - 07:16, said:

Leave Thailand. I'm sure your landlady will be willing to wait for the rent that you owe her coffee1.gif

-

I will, as soon as I'm able to do so. I've already gasbagged a dozen times that it will take a month or two to get passports and visas processed first.

So why would we buy it if we've already read it?

But I really like the plot point where your landlady realizes you're doing a runner and files a criminal complaint which is waiting for you as you try to exit the Kingdom. (End Part 2)

sustento, on 15 Apr 2013 - 07:19, said:

Let us know when you're leaving. We'll organise a party at the airport.

-

Actually I'd be happy to do so, but in that case I should probably take RandomSand's advice and host it at the KL airport rather than Swampy.

You guys willing to chip in for the difference in ticket price and overnight accommodation?

I don't drink alcohol, so the party itself needn't be too expensive. . .

So the gent has said that -- so he has been advised by the rank-and-file -- it is no big deal to show up at Swampy or another airport with long-term overstay and pay the 20K but now enters the caveat as long as there is no outstanding warrant due to the filing of criminal charges under Thai Penal Code by some debtor ...

And with that our main protagonist has (temporarily) disappeared.

Edited by JLCrab

So the gent has said that -- so he has been advised by the rank-and-file -- it is no big deal to show up at Swampy or another airport with long-term overstay and pay the 20K but now enters the caveat as long as there is no outstanding warrant due to the filing of criminal charges under Thai Penal Code by some debtor ...

-

I don't understand the point of your post, repeating information already clarified without contradicting, clarifying or adding anything new.

Yes that is exactly my understanding, and in fact my conversation with the tourist police just confirmed the same.

Actually I don't believe a criminal warrant is necessarily required, many here have indicated there are other "border stop" notifications that don't have such stringent requirements.

If anyone can suggest a low-cost way to be able to safely check for the existence of such before actually showing up at the airport, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-

And with that our main protagonist has (temporarily) disappeared.

-

Despite appearances to the contrary I'm not actually sitting in front of the keyboard 24x7, and in fact may "disappear" for dozens of hours at a time if I feel so inclined.

I'm sure you can carry on quite well without me in the meantime tongue.png