Buying Fish At The Local Fresh Market

tolsti

I have decided that I need to eat more fish and being in Patong we have a wonderful fresh market about 5 minutes away from where I live.

There are 2 or 3 rows of fish and sea food merchants offering all sorts of fresh fish produce.

My questions are:

1) Is it ok to buy fish on a Monday? Will it be fresh?... in the West we are told that as fishermen don't go to sea on Sundays you should never expect fresh fish on a Monday..... does that logic apply here?

2) how do I ask, apart from miming, for a fish to be scaled and filleted? I detest bones and it really detracts from the meal if I find any.

Cheers

Tols

Not sure how you would ask for the fish to be scaled and filleted (maybe learn the Thai words for scaled and fillet?).

However for the first question the answer is yes it OK to buy fish on Monday (or any day of the week), if the fish is fresh. To tell if a whole fish is fresh look at the eyes and gills. The eyes should not look sunken in but should look round and firm, and the gills should be bright red (or at least some shade of red, grey is generally not good). Also if you gently press on the side of the flesh it should not leave a lasting indent. For larger fish that are already fileted make sure that the blood line (dark portion in the center of most filets is not grey or discolored) and the fish does not smell bad. Fresh fish smell like fish but it should not be unpleasant (any hint of ammonia-like smells is a bad sign especially with shellfish). Good luck, hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

I love fresh fish, but don't buy it here because the Thai's don't fillet the fish normally. I hate messing with the bones. The Thai's have such great knife skills when working with pork. I don't know why they have not learned to fillet a fish.

When I buy fresh talapia at the market I usually get it "fillet" Thai style. They scale it and cut the head off. Then they fillet it but cut right thriougt the "rib" bones, leaving them. I only have to fillet the bones from the ribs, not the whole fish. They always want to put all of the bits in the bag and I have to tell them that I don't want the head or bones. No fish soup.

• 2 weeks later...

When I buy fresh talapia at the market I usually get it "fillet" Thai style. They scale it and cut the head off. Then they fillet it but cut right thriougt the "rib" bones, leaving them. I only have to fillet the bones from the ribs, not the whole fish. They always want to put all of the bits in the bag and I have to tell them that I don't want the head or bones. No fish soup.

If you don't like the "rib" bones take a pair of needle nose pliers (or strong tweezers) and pull them out before cooking. Feel along gently with your fingers for the bones, and pull them out. If you are thorough you now have a boneless fish filet.

• 1 month later...

When I buy fresh talapia at the market I usually get it "fillet" Thai style.  They scale it and cut the head off.  Then they fillet it but cut right thriougt the "rib" bones, leaving them.  I only have to fillet the bones from the ribs, not the whole fish.  They always want to put all of the bits in the bag and I have to tell them that I don't want the head or bones.  No fish soup.

Why not?

Make a stock then add to a fish stew. Delicious!

• Like 2

Why not?

Make a stock then add to a fish stew. Delicious!

Shocking. Can use fish stock instead of chicken or veg. stock in many dishes as it's so mild. Throwing money away.

I get my fish descaled but don't know the word in thai. I do the action of an imaginary knife running along the fish and they understand, the rest a do myself.

• Like 2

Can't be much of a Fresh Fish market. At the market I go to in Jomtien the fish are still jumping around the table and have to be euthanized while you wait with the assistance of a wooden club. I feel a bit sad having to select a specific individual for euthanasia.....normally the one that's jumping the most.

Buy a decent knife and try filleting yourself - it's easy enough and if you're going to eat more fish it might be a handy skill for the future.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is a direct Thai expression for "fillet". Probably closest is แล่ปลา (lɛ̂ɛ plaa).

You'll probably also need ให้ไส้ในออก (hây sây nay ɔ̀ɔk) - to gut.

t's jumping the most.

Buy a decent knife and try filleting yourself - it's easy enough and if you're going to eat more fish it might be a handy skill for the future.

Quality sharp flexable knife is very much the key. Problem with a market filleted fish is that you pay for the whole fish so there is no incentive for the seller to do the best job in getting the most out of the fish ie. the biggest fillet.

Year before last the local fishmonger at my sister's (UK) had whole plaice for a pound a pop or six for a fiver which was seriously cheap in the UK. Bought 8 and grilled 2 for myself, filleted 2 each for my sister and brother in law which I dusted in flour and pan fried and turned the last 2 into fish fingers for my niece. Home made fish and chips with a salad for 4 people for under a tenner. Fish dinner from the chippy for one must be 7 quid these day.

• 4 weeks later...

To scale = เอาเปลือกออก (aw plʉ̀ak ɔ̀ɔk).

This is incorrect. You use this for removing the skin off fruit and veg and nuts and stuff. And even then you dont say it this way - you say ปลอกเปลือก plawk pleuak

Fish have scales. You need to say เอาเกล็ดออก aao gled awk

But if you tell them to fillet it, they will remove the scales anyway:

แล่ให้ด้วยครับ lae hai duwai - fillet it for me...

The word for fillet is แล่ - lae

• Like 1

If you really detest bones, even after they fillet it there will still be bones along the center of the fillet starting from the head end. You will need to take a pair of tweezers and carefully run your finger along the fillet and pluck the bones out one by one until you can't feel any pricking anymore... They will not do this for you.

• Like 1

Have a look at this post fish-and-shrimp-farm where the Farmer describes going to the Fish Market.

The gf's Parents farm the Tilapia (Pla Nin) fish.

The harvest starts not long after Midnight and ends with delivery at the Fish Market before Daybreak.

Below is a behind the scenes look that you might not get to usually see.

So, if bought direct, less then 12 hours from the catch to your plate.

Ditto the Farm Prawns ... actually they are usually fresher ... but that's another story ... rolleyes.gif