Tips For Family Friendly Songkran Fun?

mccw

With my boys 3 and 5 years old. Drive in by car; park and walk a bit. 30 min or an hour if cold and tired retreat back to the car equipped with towls, dry clothes, etc head home or change location. Plenty place to still get a dry coffee or food; time out and recharge. Went to KSK Sunday wich was ok but the music went from quite fun kinda thsi ska to the terrible soft rock so we left. My kids love fun music like the dance music over round tapear but soon get grump if turns rubbish. St tapear on Saturday they lead me in to the thick of the bubble machines and jumping around with all the ravers in front of the speakers. 10 minutes and the heavens opened wich cut all the music though do good time for call it a day. The had a good little bop to the DnB inside THC bar before that though and plenty of splashing on the way to get there from car park. No problems with noise of over zealous splashing even in the thick of it.

Yeah I'll do the car thing better next year we had a support car of course but not going in and out, only for the ride home; and my 5 y old lasted an hour before he got cold so about the same...

I guess the trick is to plan ahead and not get stuck in places where it takes a long time to get out of; I went with a friend - no kids - around the moat, when we tired, we were around ta pae and getting out from there took another 15 minutes. A very long time for a cold, unhappy kid, and twice as long for the parents!

Central KSK was really great early in the afternoon; great music, a b-boy / hip hop dance show, great fun, and lots of dry people arriving... good thing I missed the soft pop, there should be a law against that...

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

We managed to get the front of The Olde Bell cordoned off, so a good barrier for my 5 year old son and the many other children that came along as well, to throw water from without getting over excited and running in front of a car. The best Songkran for several years! My only complaint is that the water chucking was allowed to go on far too late. The Thais stop at sundown - apart from a few bar girls who then encourage drunken young Westerners to carry it on. Around Thapae they were still throwing at 11pm or more.

• Like 2

So anyway, I appreciate this is not everyone's cup of tea, especially not in the TV demographic, but people enjoyed themselves. The party later moved from here (Loy Kroh) to the Reggae Area (Zoe, etc.). thumbsup.gif

==> Hehe although this video is a great example of how it's impossible to find good dance music in Chiang Mai; CM is a big city on many fronts, but dance music for some reason.... ugh! Same old cr**p, playing the Ibiza hits from 2011 that weren't all that good to start with but have become really stale since... yellow particularly, I always wonder why they have DJs if they keep playing the same songs from the last 2 years...

/rant

Yeah, ain't that the truth. At that particular place it was even worse (also gaps in the music, etc.) I think the guy who usually plays songs was already passed out by that time. But what you say is still true of course.