Ye Olde Back Pain...what To Do About It?

Deserted

You need to see a Doc who can definitively identify what is the cause of the pain....then and only then can you start to treat or deal with it. There could be any number of reasons, from physical damage to strain etc etc......some may just be down to posture caused by some other problem, others may require surgery........ going to quacks and other ad hoc therapists may bring some (temporary) relief but but without a good doctor you will never know the real cause and never sort it properly.

I used to have the same symptoms for years and years with lower back pain, probably caused by too much sitting in the office and too little exercising. I have visited doctors that suggested spinal surgery and anti-inflammatory medicine. I did not want to take the risk, there is always related with spine surgery and anti-inflammatory medicine just gives me a serious stommach pain.

The last year or so the pain was getting worse, so in Bangkok I firstly tried several sessions of accupuncture (Physio One), that helped a day or two, but unfortunately not longer. Then I tried several sessions of physiotherapy (again Physio One) with ultrasound, stretching and massage, which helped a little more than accupuncture, but not completely solved the problem. Then later I visited a chiripractor (Dr. Patrick Svensson at D-Spine, Sukhumvit soi 24), who found that something in my hip and SI joint didn´t move properly and used manipulation to treat this. After only 4 treatments, I am 100% pain-free for one month now. I have often visited chiropractors before, but not with long lasting results, so I am very happy that I found Dr. Patrick, who in my opinion is very skilled to treat back related problems. Before visiting Dr. Patrick, I went to Sukhumvit Hospital (use any hospital) to take a few X-rays (lower back and hip seen from the back and from the side), which costs THB 500 per photo, including a doctors written diagnosis, of what is seen in the X-rays.

P.S. Don´t carry your baby around more than absolutely necessary. Little babies can crawl and when they get bigger, they can walk, run and climb, so no need to carry them around all the time. In Thailand I often se mothers carry their 5-6-7 year old children around in the shopping malls. Find a way to let them get used to not be carried. This worked very well with my last baby.

Edited by Xonax

I used to have the same symptoms for years and years with lower back pain, probably caused by too much sitting in the office and too little exercising. I have visited doctors that suggested spinal surgery and anti-inflammatory medicine. I did not want to take the risk, there is always related with spine surgery and anti-inflammatory medicine just gives me a serious stommach pain.

The last year or so the pain was getting worse, so in Bangkok I firstly tried several sessions of accupuncture (Physio One), that helped a day or two, but unfortunately not longer. Then I tried several sessions of physiotherapy (again Physio One) with ultrasound, stretching and massage, which helped a little more than accupuncture, but not completely solved the problem. Then later I visited a chiripractor (Dr. Patrick Svensson at D-Spine, Sukhumvit soi 24), who found that something in my hip and SI joint didn´t move properly and used manipulation to treat this. After only 4 treatments, I am 100% pain-free for one month now. I have often visited chiropractors before, but not with long lasting results, so I am very happy that I found Dr. Patrick, who in my opinion is very skilled to treat back related problems. Before visiting Dr. Patrick, I went to Sukhumvit Hospital (use any hospital) to take a few X-rays (lower back and hip seen from the back and from the side), which costs THB 500 per photo, including a doctors written diagnosis, of what is seen in the X-rays.

P.S. Don´t carry your baby around more than absolutely necessary. Little babies can crawl and when they get bigger, they can walk, run and climb, so no need to carry them around all the time. In Thailand I often se mothers carry their 5-6-7 year old children around in the shopping malls. Find a way to let them get used to not be carried. This worked very well with my last baby.

One of my SI joints seizes occasionally, I usually have to get it 'freed' off, but now if I seem to be able to sort it myself with our PEMF m/c. I find that sitting in a bad position or lifting something heavy should be avoided.

Edited by JAS21

Never let anyone touch your spine without taking x-rays first.

Never use Chiropractors - they are potentially dangerous and their treatment is based on implausible theory therefore any diagnosis is likely to be inaccurate.

Do not self-prescribe painkillers.

Nothing wrong in using a good Chiropractor. Yes an xray is a must before any treatment starts. I suffered for years with lower back pain, all the physicians could do was prescribe pain killers.

Visitied a Chiro and after looking at the x-ray she pointed out that I had slight lateral curvature of the spine, scoliosis. After a few weeks of treatment I felt better than I had for years, knocked 4 shots of my handicap in that time as well!

• Like 1

I've recently been diagnosed with sacroiliitis which is inflammation of the si joints, basically where the dimples are in your back. Had back pain since September last year and it is getting worse, still to find out what's causing it. Sounds similar to what you might have, it's worse when standing for a long time. I've tried physio too but didn't help, was hoping to visit someone in Thailand who might be able to help.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

Its muscle related for sure. It kicked in when my daughterwas born and in a brief break from parenting it almost went completely. The muscle has hardened either side of the spine above the bum.

The question is why? Muscles don't just cramp up for no reason.

I strongly suggest to have a proper diagnosis before you start any treatment which could make it worse. It could be a hernia, since you carry heavy things. Refrain from carrying heavy loads until you know what causes the pain.

BTW, I can feel with you, this pain can be just horrible and nothing seems to ease it. I have had back pain since the age of 18 (now I am 64) and it comes and goes. Actually since I live in Thailand, it's much much better, almost gone. My pain comes from an arthritis kind of illness. Best medicine was Voltarene, but please see your doctor first, before you treat yourself.

The muscles cramp (go into spasm) because of excessively repeated firings of the controlling motor nerve that is inflamed - most likely due to a bulging disc in the spinal column that is touching the root of the nerve in question... very commonly the Sciatic nerve. This repeated nerve impulse firing causes the muscle to contract - relax - contract - relax, etc, etc. The muscle soon tires and locks in a spasm - often a big knot. This is a well documented and common physical event involved in back pain. The deterioration of the vertebral junctions leading to bulging disc could be caused by or aggravated by osteoarthritis or initially by a malformed spine. For some aging is also a big factor - deterioration of ligaments, tendons, and connective tissues lead to bulging disc.

A bulging disc would usually not persist for 6 months, hiowever degeneratiev disk disease can lead in some people to a diminished space for nerves exiting the vertebrae. With pain of this duration, that definitely needs to be excluded.

A bulging disc would usually not persist for 6 months, hiowever degeneratiev disk disease can lead in some people to a diminished space for nerves exiting the vertebrae. With pain of this duration, that definitely needs to be excluded.

I would agree with that.. twenty years ago my back did just that - bulging disc degenerated. Some of the disc tissue remaining was touching the Sciatic nerve causing a severe inflammation and many back and leg problems. After a series of cortisone injections I gained great relief. After 20 years and staying away from fulcrum lifting and odd angled lifting - I am just fine.

Never let anyone touch your spine without taking x-rays first.

Never use Chiropractors - they are potentially dangerous and their treatment is based on implausible theory therefore any diagnosis is likely to be inaccurate.

Do not self-prescribe painkillers.

Nothing wrong in using a good Chiropractor. Yes an xray is a must before any treatment starts. I suffered for years with lower back pain, all the physicians could do was prescribe pain killers.

Visitied a Chiro and after looking at the x-ray she pointed out that I had slight lateral curvature of the spine, scoliosis. After a few weeks of treatment I felt better than I had for years, knocked 4 shots of my handicap in that time as well!

Use a Chiropracctor at your PERIL! - First look up the history of Chiropractic - it is a joke!