Locals Ready To Evacuate As Thai, Cambodian Troops Take Position: Preah Vihear Ruling

webfact

PREAH VIHEAR
Locals worry about clashes over ruling

Jittima Janprom
The Nation
Si Sa Ket

Villagers ready to evacuate as Thai, Cambodian troops take position

SI SA KET: -- People living in this border province are keeping their fingers crossed and hoping that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling on the Preah Vihear Temple and its surrounding area will not trigger a war or bloody clashes between Thai and Cambodian troops.

"We are worried about the possibility of a battle," Prayote Meemui, 50, said yesterday. Prayote lives in the border village of Phoomsaron in Khantaralak district.

"We have been hearing the exchange of gunfire from time to time recently," he said.

In response to Cambodia's request, the ICJ is scheduled to hear statements from both countries between April 15 and April 19 before it forms an opinion on its 1962 judgement in relation to the ownership of the Preah Vihear Temple.

At the centre of the dispute is not just the ancient Hindu temple, which is now inscribed as a World Heritage site on Cambodian soil, but also its surrounding 4.6 square kilometres.

"My neighbours and I will watch the live broadcast of the ICJ hearings. We have to be alert at all times," Prayote said, adding that he believed Cambodia would become dissatisfied if the ICJ ruled in Thailand's favour or vice versa.

Locals say they have noticed that both Thailand and Cambodia have been moving more troops and weapons to the border zone since mid-March. While both sides claim to be doing military exercises, the locals believe that they need to be prepared for possible evacuation.

"I keep my car's tank full at all times," Niran Lumthaisong, 50, said, adding that he had packed up all their important documents and belongings to ensure that he and his family can leave the area immediately in case of emergency.

He said seven border villages in Si Sa Ket's Tambon Sao Thong Chai have already set up protection teams, which will guard villages should a border clash erupt and most residents need to evacuate.

"We need security teams because evacuees cannot remove all their belongings immediately," Niran explained.

Thailand and Cambodia have locked horns over the Preah Vihear Temple issue several times before, especially after Cambodia registered the Hindu temple as a World Heritage site.

Prayote said he hoped the ICJ would deliver a neutral verdict and support joint management of the area surrounding the temple.

Thai officials have closed down the Mor E Dang cliff, a popular tourist attraction, since the beginning of this month. The cliff is close to Preah Vihear and Thai authorities are concerned that some groups might go there to stage a protest, which might encourage the use of violence.

Soldiers have now been posted to guard the entrance to the Mor E Dang cliff.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The exchange of gunfire recently, Thailand and Cambodia moving more troops and weapons to the border zone, the possibility of a battle, villagers ready to evacuate.

Hysteria or nationalistic posturing? And what next after the ICJ ruling?

This is an odd situation, politically. Will those two 'eternal brothers ' and respective leadersof their governments allow anything more than nationalistic posturing to take place over this issue? Both have much bigger fish to fry.

• Like 2

I doubt either side will adhere to the ICJ ruling - certainly Thai's will not give up land. Perhaps even though the temple is a WH listed item, perhaps a stray shell and its demolishment could solve the issue then no one will care. But of course, just saying... whistling.gif

Lots more saber rattling, nothing more.

Cambodia have nothing to worry about. The ruling will either go in their favour, meaning the 4.6 km2 is theirs, or will go in Thailand's favour, meaning the ownership of the land is still in dispute.

Either way a no-win situation? Why can't both Governments just agree to share the site for the benefit of all? By the way more plumbers are required in the area to unscrew the outside toilets in the villages so, they can be moved in case of damage!

At the centre of the dispute is not just the ancient Hindu temple, which is now inscribed as a World Heritage site on Cambodian soil, but also its surrounding 4.6 square kilometres

The temple isn't at the centre of the debate or even part of it at all. It's Cambodia's.Do try to keep up Nation.

I don't think that anyone could blame them for trying to keep/catch up however, there may just be better ways to do it!

Its just a bloody temple - as much as I am all in favour of maintaining historic buildings - if it comes to a battle and bloodshed over a xxxxxxx building...jeeesus...blow the damned thing up.

It is NOT worth a human life - not at all.

Worse than that. It's not about the temple. It's about a couple of square kms of scrubland.

Aah but it has a talang wah value and must not fall into the hands of foreign ownership.

Its just a bloody temple - as much as I am all in favour of maintaining historic buildings - if it comes to a battle and bloodshed over a xxxxxxx building...jeeesus...blow the damned thing up.

It is NOT worth a human life - not at all.

The faulklands was just a little island

At the centre of the dispute is not just the ancient Hindu temple, which is now inscribed as a World Heritage site on Cambodian soil, but also its surrounding 4.6 square kilometres

The temple isn't at the centre of the debate or even part of it at all. It's Cambodia's.Do try to keep up Nation.

Quite correct, its not about the temple, its all about loosing face.

Will these idiots ever learn, that "face" is not as important as "life"?

If this leads to war-actions and the loss of only one life again, the whole world will shake its head about Thailand (mostly) and Cambodia (a little less).

They will loose face to the whole wide world, if they don't understand, that fourpointsomething squarekilometers of dusty soil is NOT worth the life of anyone!

It is easy to think of all kinds of things to do with this scrubland. I think that people forget that these two countries each believe it belongs to them.

I would have a problem cooperating with someone if what they were planning to do was being done on my land.

• Like 2

There isn't likely to be a war. The last war only occurred because the Democrats were in power, and Hun Sen instigated shelling of Thai villages in order to help out his buddy Thaksin prior to the election. Abhisit's failure to invade Cambodia, as they knew he would, caused the yellow shirts to abandon his party and give the election to Thaksin. In the current situation I don't see how Thaksin or Hun Sen would benefit from fighting, they have important matters to deal with like plundering their respective constituents.

The nationalist fascists wearing yellow shirts are at the border now trying to inflame the situation into conflict.

Someone should put a leash on them for starters.

If the Thai and Cambodian armies start fighting because of a few yellow shirt protesters, they've got no one to blame but themselves.

If only Thailand's military didn't occupy the temple in 1959 and refuse to leave.

The ICJ then had to step in as Thailand was acting, as per usual, like a naughty child.

So they only have themselves to blame for the previous ruling in 1962, and will only have themselves to blame if this ruling doesn't go in their favour.

We may well be arguing technically over the scrubland, but it is the UNESCO World Heritage Site award to the temple that made nationalist Thais jealous and angry. It was just unfortunate they had a voice as at that time we had a government in power supported and put there by a handful of fascists and nationalists who took up militant protest, and under the control of the Thai military, the biggest stumbling block to an equal and fair Thai democracy since absolute monarchy was abolished.

The Cambodians will not soon forget the invasion of their country by Thai forces during WWII either, when fascist dictator and Japanese ally Phibunsongkram, the 'inventor' of the Vietnamese noodle dish Pad Thai, took advantage of Allied weakness fighting the Japanese and annexed large swathes of Western Indochina, built a monument in central Bangkok to commemorate this 'great victory', only to end up on the losing side and have to give the whole lot back again. I'm pretty sure that loss of face adds to the ignorant nationalism on display and that we are currently witness to.

Edited by FarangTalk
  • Like 1

The nationalist fascists wearing yellow shirts are at the border now trying to inflame the situation into conflict.

Someone should put a leash on them for starters.

If the Thai and Cambodian armies start fighting because of a few yellow shirt protesters, they've got no one to blame but themselves.

The nationalist Yellow Shirts are the whole reason this affair has occured. The governments they ousted had already agreed to support Cambodia's application for UNESCO World Heritage status for Preah Vihear temple.

I don't know what the fuss is about. Cambodia has sold off thousands of square kilometres of its soil to foreign (mostly Vietnamese and Chinese) economic land concessions in the last few years, lost a fifth of its natural forests, and in so doing displaced tens of thousands of it's own citizens, denying their rights to any benefit from the land or its natural resources in order to make way for rubber plantations that bring economic benefit only to those in the circle of ministers and their relatives. Look here and see for yourself how much of the country is now under ELCs or mining concessions, even overlapping protected areas and important protection forests http://www.opendevelopmentcambodia.net/maps/. This has prompted imaginative titles on Cambodia's forestry sector such as "Country For Sale". That Government could care less about the country's own heritage or territory, let alone its people. Their primary concern is ensuring they win the upcoming election, and this act is entirely choreographed in order to influence the uneducated masses whose votes are up for grabs that the current regime is powerful and can stand up to an aggressive neighbour. Thailand should work to delay any ruling from the ICJ until after the June election so whatever the outcome, Cambodia doesn't have the opportunity to use the decision as a pawn in their game.

I doubt either side will adhere to the ICJ ruling - certainly Thai's will not give up land. Perhaps even though the temple is a WH listed item, perhaps a stray shell and its demolishment could solve the issue then no one will care. But of course, just saying... whistling.gif

Lots more saber rattling, nothing more.

Whilst we all have our opinions, I will gladly extend an invitation to you when the ' sabre rattling ' starts. Then you can experience at first hand just what it is like to live near the border -- guns firing and incoming shells exploding all around. Also in the last round of ' sabre rattling ', one of our family was killed. please join us by all means.....

• Like 1