Udon Immigration Open On 16Th?

Hi all,

My 30 day 'under consideration' stamp (Non Imm O based on Marriage) states I've to go back to Udon Immigration Office on the 16th of April. Just found out that the 16th is a substitution day (for the Songkran festival falling on a Saturday / Sunday?) for government agencies.

My wife spoke with someone (not an immigration officer) this morning and was told that its fine and I can go on the 17th. Just want to confirm this is true? Anyone had any experience with this before? Can't get the immigration office today so would call them otherwise.

Thanks in advance & Happy Sonkgran!

The16th is a substitute holiday, immigration will be closed. Going on the 17th will be fine, as that is the first day they will be open again.

---------------

They will not complain because it is a official holiday and they weren't open so obviously you couldn't go there on the 16th.

However, as this the 17th is the first day they will be open since the Songkhan holiday expect there to be MANY people in the queue for service.

So get there as early as you possibley can on the 17th to get the lowest queue number you can.

Expect to be waiting a while.

whistling.gif

Strikes me as daft that Udon gave the OP an "under consideration" stamp which they should have known full well expired on a date when they were not open! Why on earth could they not have dated this stamp until the 17th?

I strongly suspect that the answer to that question is TIT!! However, I only hope that the OP isn't stopped by the BIB en route to his immigration office on the 17th and instantly hauled off to the slammer for overstaying. The fact that the overstay was technical might not necessarily make much difference in BIB eyes.

Although the chances of this happening are hopefully small, it is surely still a risk, is it not?

No it is not much of a risk small or otherwise unless arrested for some other matter and the reason would be obvious to even a casual observer. Just getting stamps set to 30 days is enough of an issue - to try and allow of holidays/weekends and last minute days off would likely make for more errors.

Strikes me as daft that Udon gave the OP an "under consideration" stamp which they should have known full well expired on a date when they were not open! Why on earth could they not have dated this stamp until the 17th?

I strongly suspect that the answer to that question is TIT!! However, I only hope that the OP isn't stopped by the BIB en route to his immigration office on the 17th and instantly hauled off to the slammer for overstaying. The fact that the overstay was technical might not necessarily make much difference in BIB eyes.

Although the chances of this happening are hopefully small, it is surely still a risk, is it not?

The law will not allow immigration to extend any visa due to public holidays this is the same rule worldwide, it is the visa holders responsibilty to ensure their visa is done prior to the holiday if the visa will expire during the holiday period. Also it is not illegal to overstay so nobody will be haules off to the slammer, When the op goes to Udon he should be prepared to pay an overstay penalty of B500 per days overstay. This was explained to me when my visa was due to expire on a public holiday at new year.

Edited by Keith67

Actually we are talking about extension of stay - not a visa - there is no overstay fine if reporting on the first day after a holiday. And overstay is most surely illegal - normally a fine is imposed but there could be time in jail awaiting a judge if at a local police lockup and if unable to pay extra time in immigration lockup.

Actually we are talking about extension of stay - not a visa - there is no overstay fine if reporting on the first day after a holiday. And overstay is most surely illegal - normally a fine is imposed but there could be time in jail awaiting a judge if at a local police lockup and if unable to pay extra time in immigration lockup.

According to the Immigration official that deals with my visa and extension of stay (marriage visa) they told me at new year "if you cannot come into immigration until after new year it's no problem overstaying is not illegal but you will have to pay a B500 fine per day" those were their exact words not mine i thought it a little strange but we are in Thailand where nothing is the norm. Previously when i lived in Phuket i went to the local office to apply for an extension of stay for 3 days as i was flying to Australia 3 day after my visa expired (bad planning on my part) and was told there "don't worry just pay the overstay at the airport when you leave" this i did with no problems but that was 5 years ago and immigration laws have changed since then.

If your stay ends on a holiday and you appear on first workday the policy is not to fine you but extension will be dated from expiration date.

It is illegal to overstay - that is the reason for the 500 baht per day fine (you get fined for being legal in your home country?). There meaning is they will not hold it against you and jail you as long as fine is paid. Immigration laws have not changed - it was just as illegal three days years ago as today. But immigration policy is as long as you pay the fine all is well. Not the same if involved with local police however as you can be arrested and jailed until judge provides judgement (which is normally a fine that is a bit less than immigration fine would be - but you do have some time in cell). Immigration officers have long said to just stay the few extra days and pay the fine but now seem to have adopted the declined application for extension and 7 days to depart as routine procedure and available just about anywhere to cover these extra days.

Below is the law as outlined in immigration act of 2522

Wherease it is deemed proper to revise the Law on immigration

Section 54 : Any alien who enters or come to stay in the Kingdom without permission or when such
permission expires or is revoked , the competent official will deport such alien out of the Kingdom.
The provisions of Section 19 and 20 will be applied Mutatis Mutandis if in the case that
investigation for deportation in reference to Para.1 of this Section must be conducted.
In case there is an order of deportation for the alien; while waiting for the alien to be deported the
competent official may order the alien to stay at any prescribed place or he may order the alien to report
to him ( competent official ) according to a prescribed date, time ,and place with Security or with Security
and Bond. The competent official may also detain the alien at any given place as many be necessary.
The expense of detention shall be charged to the alien’s account.
The provision of this Section shall not apply to aliens entering and talking up residence in the
Kingdom before the enforcement of the Immigration Act B.C. 2480 [ 1937 ]
Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked
shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or
both.