173 Deaths In First Three Days Of Songkran

Lite Beer

We must respect and understand the Thai ways of life.

Government allows this by not policing the police.

The police allow this by not enforcing the laws.

So who do farangs think they are judging that 173 road-deaths in 1st 3 days of Songkran are so bad ??

It's another aspect of Thailand that is different from the West.

Get over it !!

Get over it?

I really have enough of this BS!

Let me know, when one of your friends or family get mowed done by some drunk guy, who is merely able to drive a car and is jumping a red light!

I will gladly ask you to get "over it"!

Chill out, I think and hope he is being sarcastic

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

~ 80% of all fatalities are motorbike rider/passengers.

I like the motto at the bottom of kaptainrob's post. If you missed it, it goes : "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting holy shit, what a ride!"

See that's someone who totally understands the spirit of Songkran !

I've been driving around all weekend on my motorbike in Chiang Mai. Sure, I get about 30 buckets dumped on me, and even some good hits when traveling 60-80km/hr on my way down to Hang Dong, but nothing much worse than a slight push. Bike actually seems more stable from hits when I'm going faster, though my side might not agree smile.png

Best one was when a Thai walked out into the middle of the Super Highway here to make sure I can came to a stop. I was having fun, so I didn't bother to go around him. He shook my hand, dumped a lot of water on me, and offered me and my girlfriend a sip of beer. Not sure I've ever been offered a beer while driving anywhere, but I enjoyed the experience and politely declined.

Only other comment is that I really don't mind the Thai's who dump water on me. It's the foreigners who seem to be the most drunk and stupid of all the people I've seen. Maybe ban the foreigners.

Sorry to say but the reality is a number of people get killed while riding motorbikes during songkran especially when the bucket of water gets in their eyes while they are driving and they cannot see so it is not all just fun but deadly to.

But they are supposed to be wearing a helmet and the face mask would prevent the water from getting in their eyes.

• Like 1

We must respect and understand the Thai ways of life.

Government allows this by not policing the police.

The police allow this by not enforcing the laws.

So who do farangs think they are judging that 173 road-deaths in 1st 3 days of Songkran are so bad ??

It's another aspect of Thailand that is different from the West.

Get over it !!

Get over it?

I really have enough of this BS!

Let me know, when one of your friends or family get mowed done by some drunk guy, who is merely able to drive a car and is jumping a red light!

I will gladly ask you to get "over it"!

Chill out, I think and hope he is being sarcastic

I hope so too. Point is, I have read far too many of similar "contributions" to the subject...no being sarcastic at all!

• Like 1

I believe those high numbers of casualties during a holiday season are unique in the world.

Indeed they are! Most countries with good highway infrastructure, strong driving laws enforcement, and skilled, capable ( I say that with some reluctance) drivers see holiday death tolls at a fraction of Thailand's during this and other holiday seasons. Most in this forum know why they're so high.

NOW...., ban all motor bike traffic (without exception!) during this time and the number would be cut by 65%+. Unfortunate that this is the single most common form of transportation here.

Why stop there?

Ban alcohol as well.

tongue.png

Ban everything. Sex. How dangerous is that? People dying of AIDS all the time. Ban Songkran, and Loy Kratong. Think of the fire risk. And drinking. And motorbikes. Pushbikes too. Ban walking. Some people walk around without looking where they are going and bump into innocent people. Swimming. Lots of people drown whilst swimming. Eating. The food poisoning numbers are horrific. Waking up. If everybody slept all the time then nobody would ever die.

Have you seen how many people die in their sleep?

Swimming. Lots of people drown whilst swimming. Waking up. If everybody slept all the time then nobody would ever die.

Have you seen how many people die in their sleep?

Not too many people die swimming. It's when they stop swimming that they have a problem.

I don't think the goal is to stop everything, but it is to stop the senseless and unnecessary slaughter of so many people on the roads.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 2

I believe those high numbers of casualties during a holiday season are unique in the world.

Indeed they are! Most countries with good highway infrastructure, strong driving laws enforcement, and skilled, capable ( I say that with some reluctance) drivers see holiday death tolls at a fraction of Thailand's during this and other holiday seasons. Most in this forum know why they're so high.

NOW...., ban all motor bike traffic (without exception!) during this time and the number would be cut by 65%+. Unfortunate that this is the single most common form of transportation here.

Better still, ban people from throwing water at passing vehicles, but this being Thailand they won't.

haven't you heard? the BOB have banned throwing water on motorcycles this year! also banned powder and throwing water from trucks! IN YOUR DREAMS! just watch the Thai news!

Just driving over to the Tesco by the house to get myself some alkeehol and at the intersection, waiting at the red, a group of about 10 motorbikes, each with an average of three youngish teenagers (boys/girls) pulled up besides me and without even really looking went forward right through the red. Really dangerous as there was no way to see if anything was coming from the road on the left, and they didn't even really stop. This is the five way intersection at Watcharaphol.

They didn't seem drunk, and were just out for a nighttime joyride. No helmets, all dressed in Songkran water splashing clothes and sandals, and carefree. Police box but of course nobody there (haven't seen a cop around these parts for about three days now).

One car could've wiped out several of those bikes...thankfully nothing like that happened, but it easily could have. I would imagine it is this kind of oblivious attitude (compounded when alcohol is involved) that causes the road carnage.

Whatever ur arguments or theories 173 DEAD is still far too many unfortunate deaths for a time of fun and celebration!!! I don't know what the answers are but everybody wake up!!! instead of blame start looking at no 1

• Like 1

So.....using the new government figures of 26,000 traffic deaths per year,which is the same number that WHO uses, that works out to 71.2 deaths per day. Times three days equals 213.7 deaths using this average. So this means using the government numbers, Songkran has saved 42 people for this three day period !!!! Or....using the same logic as the finance minister, the numbers are jiggered to make Thai people feel good.
  • Like 1

I know roads are for vehicles but it's a shame the authorities don't keep cars and bikes out of the crowded areas at this party time of year.

On a lighter note, went out earlier, got p*ss wet through, had a beer, had a laugh. thumbsup.gif

Edited by youngXpat
  • Like 1

Google "holiday death statistics" The toll here is relatively small when compared to other countries, for example, the 8 day new years period in South Africa this year, over 1,400 died. The US has over 45,000 vehicle deaths every year (about 5 times the population than Thailand).

Exactly...I don't know why they're making a big deal of it...in this website or elsewhere. I wonder if there is some political agenda going on here...I love this holiday and I don't care about the stats. on the masses...

Could happen anywhere! Leave if you don't like it! We're guests here!!

HAHA.

Whatever you do don't criticize, don't even try to suggest on improvement and definitely don't offer any advice!!! The 'GO HOME CREW' will bore the life out of you until have no thoughts, opinions or brain of your own! whistling.gif

I love the holiday and could not care less about the stats....this story is a bore and of no importance at all.

Could happen anywhere! Leave if you don't like it! We're guests here!!

HAHA.

Whatever you do don't criticize, don't even try to suggest on improvement and definitely don't offer any advice!!! The 'GO HOME CREW' will bore the life out of you until have no thoughts, opinions or brain of your own! whistling.gif

I love the holiday and could not care less about the stats....this story is a bore and of no importance at all.

Me too, love it, good fun!

But this is forum where within reason, we can give our own opinions right? So why when one does, we always get this, 'If you don't like it ....'

If we didn't like it here, we wouldn't be here, don't you think???

• Like 1

Ban HUMANS!!!

What's that saying, "IF you save just ONE person, it's worth it!!!"

If just one woman has AIDS, ban all prostitution!!! You will save one foreigner. At the expense of losing billions in revenue.

It's very sad, but we are all commodities. Pawns in a much bigger game played by the elite. Oh, we go to war and lose 100,000 people; however, the country gets billions in oil revenues.....yes, those people are disposable.

sad reality. Let's ban together and save the people?? Oh, you need to go ride the elephants first......oh, ok.

There are plenty of Thais who hate the massive death toll on the roads here. My only Thai family have been victims of drunk driving. Are they just supposed to accept it?

Everybody has been victim of something, it's called life. Nobody said it's fair. While every death is a tragic one, it's still 'life' and there r no rules. The <deleted> about 'life is sacred' bullshit is just that.. .<deleted>.

We're here now, tomorrow we're gone.

I come from a war torn country, people killing other people (multiple nationalities in one country - so in a sense... civil war). There are people today, not accepting what happened and still hating on everybody from 'the other side'.

Just as a matter of interest, which "war-torn country" do you come from? USA, with its War on Terror (never, ever, to end) with incidental little holocausts at Columbine and such places?

Sorry,. slightly off topic.

I've been driving around all weekend on my motorbike in Chiang Mai. Sure, I get about 30 buckets dumped on me, and even some good hits when traveling 60-80km/hr on my way down to Hang Dong, but nothing much worse than a slight push. Bike actually seems more stable from hits when I'm going faster, though my side might not agree smile.png

Best one was when a Thai walked out into the middle of the Super Highway here to make sure I can came to a stop. I was having fun, so I didn't bother to go around him. He shook my hand, dumped a lot of water on me, and offered me and my girlfriend a sip of beer. Not sure I've ever been offered a beer while driving anywhere, but I enjoyed the experience and politely declined.

Only other comment is that I really don't mind the Thai's who dump water on me. It's the foreigners who seem to be the most drunk and stupid of all the people I've seen. Maybe ban the foreigners.

Best idea yet. Ban the foreigners. They make more trouble than anyone. At the

very least, give them a personality test and a grooming test.

Foreigners often have very poor manners. Become very obnoxious when drunk,

not to mention they are often fat, ugly and smell like a goat.

Around Phrae everyone has been super polite, all I've seen has been water thrown at motorcycles and not the riders! When people wet the riders the riders slow down and the people "pour" the water over them, It's been really different from last year!

In the USA, more people die of heart attacks during Thanksgiving than at any other time of year. So not so unique. Thais kill themselves on the road, while Americans eat themselves to death. Neither is a good way to go.