Truemove H - Unlimited Wifi! 107B P/m! Fantastic.

pilm

Sure, you can get unlimited broadband for less than 4 bucks a month in Asia,... I don't believe it !

You're not in the rip-off, developing world West any more mate. smile.png

It matters not where I am - and the world wide web is just that.

Asia-Pacific bandwidth is fairly expensive.

Enjoy your "free" internet !!!

It isn't free. Perhaps being unable to read is why you get shafted elsewhere. :D

• Like 1

Rather than topping up from the 7-11, you could do it directly, on your tablet, via internet banking!!

Yes, did that already through my PC and my K-Bank account. Pretty cool.

Be very, very careful folks. My Wife bought similar from Truevision and was horrified to receive a bill for 1,800 and then 1,003 baht for a package that was meant to cost 150 baht per month. She queried this with the local Truevision provider who said they couldn't explain it (my Wife is Thai!) but she had to pay the bills. The Truevision person who owns the franchise got so much hassle over problems with these packages and was even threatened with a gun(!!), so moved premises. Hopefully they have sorted out this problem and with luck your package will not have any unpleasant surprises at the end of the month.blink.png

Er, I think you're confused.

You walk into a 7-11, but a Sim Card anonymously.

Top it up anonymously.

The username is the sim card phone number, and password they then send by sms.

There is no bill, address, name, anything.

But with True, their system only generates a log-in prompt every time asking you to open your browser and go thru their log-in routine. It's kind of a pain in the A**!

I think this is true for all cheap wifi only package. I had 3BB 99baht package before and it's the same deal ... browser login only.

Yes, every time you turn on the tablet and open the browser the login screen comes up.

Can't say it's that much of a PitA really. Just touch the password box then press enter. 1 second for most people.

That approach might be fine for someone who's using True Wifi at their home or in some other common, staying put location.

But I have my own internet at home, and my only purpose in having True wifi is to have and use it when I'm out and around BKK (meaning, being on the move).

In that context, for me, it is a PitA because every time you move or change locations, it means your device won't be connected to their service and you'll have to go thru the log-in process again and again and again....

At home, I walk in the door, and my smartphone automatically connects to my home wifi router. True's wifi, for me, ought to work that way. But I suspect it doesn't because that approach probably would result in the overuse of their already limited system capacity if customers were more easily and regularly able to connect.

Tallguy .. you can't expect more from a service that's around 100 baht per month (and one that doesn't need long-term commitment). For the price, I'm OK with getting the bandwidth I was getting on 3BB.

On my next trip, I will probably end up getting more than one wifi service since depending on location, you can't get one or the other.

For people who use it in a professional sense then sure, it has limitations. My main home internet (on a PC) is separate.

For peeing about with a tablet once a day though it is great. Just did a skype of the new baby with family at home and it's perfect for it!

"The Truemove Wifi signal is 3 out of 4 bars in my house in BKK,

Just look at where's covered.

http://www.truemove....i_area_bkk.html "

I looked at the wifi coverage map and only saw a few hotspots east of Si Rat expressway. That map right? 3G is everywhere though. Anybody recommend a well priced plan for 3g, True or other? I heard of one for Thais at about 220b with AIS. Need one for gf and don't want her caught with extra charges or high per min. rates if there's no wifi and she uses 3g.

True WiFi claims 30,000 hotspots nationwide. TrueMove and TrueMove H mobile customers can avail themselves of the daily, weekly and monthly WiFi promotions (39/69/100 baht, respectively). TrueMove and TrueMove H also bundle WiFi into some pre-paid and post-paid mobile packages/promotions. Those who are not TrueMove or TrueMove mobile customers can also subscribe to WiFi, but will pay a bit more: 75/150/300 baht.

3BB claims 60,000 hotspots nationwide. AIS/One-2-Call bundle WiFi into some pre-paid and post-paid mobile packages/promotions, and offer a similar 99 baht/month promotion to AIS/One-2-Call customers. Those who are not AIS/One-2-Call customers can also subscribe to 3BB WiFI services - not sure on the fees.

For mobile customers, you receive the WiFi username and password via SMS. There may be some limits on number of simultaneous IP addresses, connection time, speeds and feeds.

Assuming you can "see" one of these WiFi hotpsots from your primary location, and do not have alternate means of internet access, then these services might be of value. Given that 3G might be more widely/generally available, WiFi service, even if complimentary is sometimes just not worth the bother for the typical mobile data applications.

For low-priced calling plans, AIS offers a post-paid (monthly billing) of 200 minutes for 200 baht. Calls over that quota are 1.5 baht per minute. They also offer the same plan at 300 and 300. Those are call only plans.

Then, they have various add-on options off an ala carte services menu, including 99b per month wifi, GPRS data, supposedly 3G data, etc etc... Many many different variations.

They also have a combo add-on for 119b per month that includes 75MB of Edge/3G data on their legacy 900 Mhz network, 20 SMS and 5 MMS per month.

The prices supposedly are supposed to be lower once the various carriers launch their new 2100 Mhz 3G services in the near future, with AIS saying their service is due to launch next month. But I don't believe any of those new 2100 Mhz 3G plans have announced their pricing/packages as yet.

True Move also offered a prepaid service called InterSIM that prices domestic Thailand calling at 1 baht per minute. But not sure what's going to happen with that once True Move's original GSM calling concession expires this September (while they try to migrate their current customers to their new services and networks like True Move H).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Sure, you can get unlimited broadband for less than 4 bucks a month in Asia,... I don't believe it !

You're not in the rip-off, developing world West any more mate. smile.png

It matters not where I am - and the world wide web is just that.

Asia-Pacific bandwidth is fairly expensive.

Enjoy your "free" internet !!!

That's too general of a statement which isn't completely accurate, in at least some Asian countries..

Some of the best super fast internet in the world is in S. Korea and it's very cheap too, comparably. To get the speeds that you get there would cost much more in the West.

I've also read Hong Kong has some super fast internet that's quite cheap, as well.

So it really depends on what country you are describing.

Also. the DTAC and AIS wifi are much better, they use the 5GHz radio spectrum. I used to get excellent speeds and reliability.

3BB and Truewifi are ok most of the time, but hard to connect because they are on the over crowded 2.4 Ghz radio bands.

Except I've never seen either AIS or DTAC WiFi. Is it BKK only? AIS has a deal with 3BB so you can get the 99 baht / month package for unlimited 3BB WiFi. But that has never worked for me - total crap.

True WiFi is everywhere.

That said my own experience with it is hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and quite often it's just really slow. I have 30 minutes per day free on my 3G package so I try it now and then. Won't be getting the 100/month deal - it's not reliable enough and logging in is annoying.

PS: By and large internet speeds, and the so called international bandwidth are not an issue anymore in Thailand. Sure you get more lag, and you won't get the full line speed to overseas sometimes. But other times you do, and you never get full line speed in the west either. What's different in the west is that there's much less lag so websites and such load much faster.

Thanks to being in Thailand for a long time, I have the KB/s in / out in my menu bar all the time so I always have an eye on it. What I found is that when I am in the USA they're not getting full bandwidth either - but it's so fast it doesn't really matter. One friend had a 10Mbps connection - I got 2 to 3. Another one had a 30Mbps one - I got 6. That's in the USA mind you. In terms of throughput that's a little better, but not hugely better, than Thailand.

Lag in the US is between 30 and 80 ms, whereas here it's 200 - 300. That makes a big difference in web surfing. Pages there tend to pop up instantly. But, a lot of that has to do with the physical distance - nothing Thailand can do about that. Can't change the speed with which electrons hop along cables, and can't move the country closer ;)

Edited by nikster

i would admit it's pretty good for 99b/m in thailand. just got my connection 3mbps/1mbps. unfortunately it's not for everyone coz u have to find place with good signal strength and it varies even inside a single apartment

just thinking about sharing this connection with separate netbook and router to improve signals strength

• 2 months later...

does anyone have the number for SMS to activate the 99 baht True WiFi internet ?

I wrote it down somewhere :) but who knows now where is is......

It's all in the little booklet you get with the sim.

Just buy another one for 45b if you cant find it. :D

I use this service and its great. As there's a hotspot close by and I get a constant 7mbs from inside my house.

booklet is long gone by now !

and the True shop at the Airport was getting redone last week so I could not get my extra free sims !

does anyone have the number for SMS to activate the 99 baht True WiFi internet ?

I wrote it down somewhere smile.png but who knows now where is is......

It's all in the little booklet you get with the sim.

Just buy another one for 45b if you cant find it. biggrin.png

I use this service and its great. As there's a hotspot close by and I get a constant 7mbs from inside my house.

• 3 weeks later...

Using a laptop you can use the software 'Connectify' to turn it into a wireless hotspot sharing your LAN connection. Just a suggestion if anyone else out there is reading with only a LAN connection at home/apartment.

• 3 months later...

I did a search and this thread seemed to be the closest to what I may be looking for. My wife just arrived in Bangkok and will be there for a few months. I phoned her from Canada to a landline telephone where she's staying and she was asking me about this Truemove WiFi. I'm thinking she can go to a 7-11 and get set up from them for 300 baht a month. She wants to use the service both for a cell phone and internet. for a tablet. Is this a good idea? Please don't get too technical because both my wife and I aren't. We're just looking for a reasonably priced way of communicating. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a free True Tourist SIM at CNX airport this evening. Besides the low call tariff of 1.5B it also says now free Wifi on the package, one should just login to @TRUEWIFI with the telephone number. Can't test it here, but if that thing is really for free it would be cool. Alternatively the ICT by ... hotspots are also available in quite a number of places. Free but registration (possible on the spot) is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of the cheap 100 baht a month or so better than the others ?

Mostly for a tablet , it might be better to get 2 set-ups, True and AIS or DTAC , its still cheap smile.png

I've been using the True wifi for the past few days, coverage is spotty, 2 bars around my home in Ratchada, can connect but really slow connection. I was across the street from True Tower last night, 5 bars but still very slow connection. So many people I guess were using it, that thruput grounded to a halt. The ICT free was way faster for example.

Don't know about AIS/3BB or Dtac. But True is the classic Thai company, all fanfare and window-dressing and zero investment in basic infrastructure. True Online for example. There's a reason 3BB is eating their lunch.