218 Killed So Far In Road Accidents In Four 'dangerous' Songkran Holidays

webfact

218 killed so far in road accidents in four 'dangerous' Songkran holidays
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The death toll in Songkran road accidents has risen to 218 in the first four of seven dangerous Songkran holidays, the Road Safety Centre announced Monday.

Deputy Education Minister Sermsak Pongpanit told a press conference that on Sunday, which was the fourth day of the so-called seven dangerous days for road accidents, 45 people were killed in 451 accidents. He said 494 people were injured.

He said the number of people who were injured in road accidents during the four days rose to 2,020.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-15

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4th Songkran Day Accident Toll: 16 accidents, one death in Surin

SURIN: -- The Songkran festival has taken a heavy toll in Surin Province, with 16 accidents, with one death, reported as the water-throwing festival ended its fourth day, said Deputy Surin Governor Vichien Chantaranothai.

According to him, the local anti-accident center on Sunday reported another road accident, pushing the number to 16, with one death. Most of the accidents have reportedly been caused by drivers driving under the influence.

Motorcycles top the list of the accident chart. Over 41,000 Songkran traffic offenders have been arrested so far. Of the number, 11,709 of were stopped for driving without a license, 11,625 for riding without a helmet, and 303 for driving under the influence (DUI); which has been the major cause of accidents in Surin.

Meanwhile, 10284 teenagers, those between 15 and 19, accounted for the majority of offenders, the Deputy Surin Governor said. Mr. Vichien added that the province had set up 34 checkpoints throughout its 17 districts, with more than 1,000 officers deployed to enforce traffic laws and facilitate motorists' travelling during the Thai New Year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-15 footer_n.gif

The fines are so so so low that they are no deterrent at all. And if caught drunk, just sat at side of road until semi-sober cheesy.gif

I've a couple of friends who were caught, paid an " on the spot " fine and drove away still unable to bite their own fingernails

For many Songkran is just a party at the side of the road. I think kids are a lot tamer over here so its nice to see them go a bit wild, it certainly helps that the shenanigans are condensed to 2-3 days of the year, makes life easier for all.

Saw a bus in the center ditch on the way to Bangkok from Hua Hin, somewhere near Nakhon Phatom I think. It was on its side and looked as if it had been turned around.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by TomTao

The fines are so so so low that they are no deterrent at all. And if caught drunk, just sat at side of road until semi-sober cheesy.gif

I've a couple of friends who were caught, paid an " on the spot " fine and drove away still unable to bite their own fingernails

Today or tomorrow, your friends will posthumously receive the Darwin Award, some problems solve themselves....

• Like 2

Over 41,000 arrested so far whistling.gif put in which prison clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Lost in translation. The figure is based on the fact that people do not distinguish in Thai between "stopped by the police" and "placed under arrest".

Songkran death toll reaches new high

BANGKOK, 15 April 2013 (NNT) - The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has made known that the number of road fatalities on the first four days of Songkran has broken last year’s record.

The agency reported that 218 motorists had been killed during the past 4 days, 8 more than the number in 2012. There have been 1,897 road accidents with over 2,000 people injured.

Nakhon Si Thammarat has seen the highest number of accidents at 71 so far. Prachuap Khiri Khan and Kanchaburi saw a record death toll of 11 each. The most accident-free provinces meanwhile include Chonburi, Trat, Nonthaburi and Phuket.

More than half of the accidents were caused by drunk driving, followed by speeding and dangerous driving on motorcycles.

Last year 320 motorists died during the seven-day holiday period. Before Songkran began this year, the government had vowed to bring down the toll.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-15 footer_n.gif

For many Songkran is just a party at the side of the road. I think kids are a lot tamer over here so its nice to see them go a bit wild, it certainly helps that the shenanigans are condensed to 2-3 days of the year, makes life easier for all.

I agree with you about the kids being tamer than where I'm from and generally Songkran is fun for all.

Not sure I agree with letting the under age kids ride motorbikes on these roads though. This time of year, as well as the lack of bike licenses and helmets, most have been drinking and they scoot around on bikes like their invincible. They don't only hurt themselves but others trying to have some fun.

The figures from the report show 'teenagers are the main offenders'. Why can't the B.I.B do their job ALL year round and enforce the law properly? Many will say it's a cultural thing and I somewhat agree but it's commonly known you can literally get away with murder here because the B.I.B are a joke, corrupt and lazy all rolled into one!

• Like 1

The agency reported that 218 motorists had been killed during the past 4 days,

This is all simply complete bolleux! The average death toll on the roads in Thailand is 17000-20000+ per year depending on where you scrounge the data from, some reports have it even higher. 218 people have died in 4 days giving an average of 19 892 for a years worth of similar carnage. The fact is there is no differnce in anything during Songkran, it is just that the Government and police are so woefully pitiful that they decide only to act upon, drunken, wreckless, unlicenced driving once a year for 7 days. The whole thing is shocking with all Governments and police forces proving culpable in their negligence towards normal law abiding Thai people. A pox on all those responsible.

I have to agree with you here. I am sure that if the police did their job efficiently and honestly, the drunken, unlicenced and under-age might live much longer.

I have yet to read of someone failing a breathalyser test, and doubt if they have them here. It's just a terrible shame to see so many people dead an injured when proper policing and education could prevent so much of this.

It took breathlyser use in all states around Australia to drastically lower the D.U.I. problem, and would work here if there were real fines, and loss of points.

It's all very well having modern technology such as fast motor bikes and motor vehicles, but the law must keep up with such things and have policing that reflects current technology.

Makes me laugh when ex-pats and the government get their knickers in a twist about how so many are unlicenced.

What difference does having a 'Thai' driving licence have anyway? The whole test is a joke so it makes no difference to how you drive on the roads.

Valid point.

Do you think it's wise to let 12 - 15 year old kids out on these roads though? Would you let your 12 year old kid out, no license, no helmet on his buddies bike at Songkran? Just asking.

A party at the side of the road??? Kids a lot tamer??? Nice to see them go a bit wild??? Are these kids the offspring of the stupid parents who let them throw water at vehicles particularly motor cycles? If you think that's OK then your'e mentality is as low as what theres is.

• Like 2

A party at the side of the road??? Kids a lot tamer??? Nice to see them go a bit wild??? Are these kids the offspring of the stupid parents who let them throw water at vehicles particularly motor cycles? If you think that's OK then your'e mentality is as low as what theres is.

See your point but who lets them through water at moving bikes? Who ignores when people drink drive? Who turns a blind eye to the under age kids riding bikes? Who is it that doesn't stop bike riders wearing helmets at night?

See your point but who lets them through water at moving bikes? Who ignores when people drink drive? Who turns a blind eye to the under age kids riding bikes? Who is it that doesn't stop bike riders wearing helmets at night?

I have seen the parents time and again watching their children throw water at motorcyclists. I presume this is your'e first Songcran?

I have seen the parents time and again watching their children throw water at motorcyclists. I presume this is your'e first Songcran?

Riders not wearing helmets are only potentially harming themselves. Of course the BIB are to blame for turning a blind eye, but TIT.

@ possum1831

Yes this is Thailand and no granddad this is not my first Songkran. You are being pedantic and totally missing my point. You think the kids are wild, why? Who lets them behave like this and endanger others?? You know who so now say something of relevance please.

EVERYONE

I would not judge or know what the real toll is but I have seen a lot of death on roads and it strikes me this festival is never going to change that fact and will only increase exponentially. Similarly all the lip service of the additional 10 rules, the 'crackdown' and all the rubbish sprouted by the attention grabbing morons is simply that - rubbish. The lame RTP are not the least bit interested unless they can scam money and the data reported here is fantasy.

Whatever I think we can all agree Songkran is a great way of keeping the numbers down.....

I just feel sorry for the families left behind and of course those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and were wiped out by one of the drunken off their heads morons!