Question About The Driving Test For Thai License.

DrAzTiK

Hi everybody,

I currently live in France and I have succed my liscence allowing me to drive bikes .( Licence A)

The big problem is that french admistration is very busy and I must wait 3 month before having my official paper... ( I only have now a temporary licence only valid two month in France )

I can't wait 3 month... and I am planning to go Thailand next week and my mother will send me my french licence paper (maybe eurpean card licence) by post in 3 month...

If I am not wrong, with a french licence (not international licence), I should be able to have a thai licence in Thailand . The only difference with a international licence is that I will must do some test. (writing test and maybe ride a bike with an examiner?)

Can you confirm to me please ? Have anyone already done and succed thai driver test for bike or car? Is it difficult? in English ?

Thank you.

I didn´t have motorcycle license from my own country(Sweden) when I came to Thailand, so I just did the whole procedure here in Thailand. It´s pretty simple and only takes a few hours to do.

You´ll get to see a video in English about the different trafic rules in Thailand, and you will also get a folder with all the different signs. Then you have to take a test about this. The test is in English, but very poorly written, and some questions don´t make any sense. If you fail, you can just take the test again the same day though. Then there´s a few vision and reaction tests that are pretty simple, and finally a few driving tests that are pretty easy as well. I would advise bringing a Thai person that can translate some of the stuff for you, but it is possiby to do it anyway.

All in all, it´s pretty easy getting a licence in Thailand, even if you don´t have one from your country or an international one. Can´t remember the rules about types of visa though, so look that up.

Edit: You´ll need some documents as well. Like a certificate of residence. I got mine from my embassy in Bangkok. Just check online for what you need.

Edited by Myran
  • Like 2

It isn't all that easy. My license from home (USA) was expired. So, I dd all of the tests for a motorbike. They make no distinction between a little 100 cc scooter or a 1000 cc Ninja. A motorcycle license is a motorcycle license here. It's pretty insane really because ... Well ... This is Thailand.

Then, I bought a car because our son was about to be born. He was actually just born on Friday. So, I had to go through all of the tests again for a car license. The tests are identical. The only difference is the driving portion. The car driving test was much more difficult for me than the motorcycle test. I saw many Thais failing their car driving test. I would say 75% failed on their first attempt. Many were there for their third, fourth, or even fifth attempt at the test.

The motorbike one can be tricky. It's all fine until you need to make a 90 degree turn in a narrow row of cones. Stay in the middle, make a narrow u-turn and then weave in and out of the cones. Touch a cone = fail. Put your foot down = Fail. I would say about 85% passed this test when I went and did it. If was far easier than the car. What's funny is that I don't even think it would be possible to pass the test on a real motorcycle. It simply wouldn't fit between the cones!

There are a bunch of documents you will need. As mentioned, you will need some sort of residence certificate from your embassy. A work permit can substitute for this, but you clearly don't have one. You need a medical certificate from a clinic or hospital. You need copies of your passport and entry stamps, etc.

It's not clear to me what kind of visa one needs to get a license. It would seem that some can do it on a tourist visa. In my case, I have a non-immigrant 'b', so it wasn't an issue. However, I have read that it has been an issue for others.

I drove without a license for several years. I do NOT recommend doing that. Thankfully, I bribed my way out of it 100 baht at a time, but I wouldn't want to go back to those days.

Do you mean that your driving license allow you to drive all kind of bikes?? (even a 1000cc)

Yeah, just like smileplur said, once you got the license you can drive whatever size you want.

Amazing, but I am not going to complain :)

Well at least the motorbike test seems quite easy. I think I will try to have my thai license in CHiang Mai .

Ty guys.

What's funny is that I don't even think it would be possible to pass the test on a real motorcycle. It simply wouldn't fit between the cones!

I did it on a new CBR150 and I thought it would be to big too to fit, but it was perfect because you can go really reallyslow on that bike and it is still very stable.

What is actually funny is that you can do the test on a honda wave and get a license for a hayabusa biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you arrive with an International Driving License what size of motor bike can I ride in Thailand and is motor bike insurance compulsory?

Any size cc you wish, the government insurance is compulsory and there's addition insurance available.

Some points to take on board :-

1. There's grey areas confusing many and someone usually only finds out what's what if the worst happens i.e. when involved in an accident.

2. Whatever full motorcycle license you have with an IDP if needed, if your on a tourist visa your allegedly OK to go, but check out insurance some only cover you if you have a Thai Motorcycle license.

3. As for the compulsory government insurance that should be already covering the bike not know what happens if you don't have a Thai license with that though.

4. If you have a Non Immigrant visa you need a Thai License.

5. The main consensus of all scenario's is get a Thai driving license.

It isn't all that easy. My license from home (USA) was expired. So, I dd all of the tests for a motorbike. They make no distinction between a little 100 cc scooter or a 1000 cc Ninja. A motorcycle license is a motorcycle license here. It's pretty insane really because ... Well ... This is Thailand..

Not sure where in the usa your from but in florida (last time i checked) they didnt care if you were on a harley or a cbr 250 a mc endorsement was good for all models. You could even take the test on a 3 wheeler.

If you arrive with an International Driving License what size of motor bike can I ride in Thailand and is motor bike insurance compulsory?

Any size cc you wish, the government insurance is compulsory and there's addition insurance available.

1. There's grey areas confusing many and someone usually only finds out what's what if the worst happens i.e. when involved in an accident.

2. Whatever full motorcycle license you have with an IDP if needed, if your on a tourist visa your allegedly OK to go, but check out insurance some only cover you if you have a Thai Motorcycle license.

3. As for the compulsory government insurance that should be already covering the bike not know what happens if you don't have a Thai license with that though.

Thanks for the info. I am only allowed to ride a scooter in my home country as I never took my bike licence. Does that still mean I can ride any CC motor bike in Thailand, I will be on a tourist visa.

Thanks for the info. I am only allowed to ride a scooter in my home country as I never took my bike licence. Does that still mean I can ride any CC motor bike in Thailand, I will be on a tourist visa.

Usually it is noted in your International Driving License what kind of vehicles you are allowed to drive. Thats what it is for :)

Usually it is noted in your International Driving License what kind of vehicles you are allowed to drive. Thats what it is for smile.png

So basically what ever vehicles you are allowed to drive/ride in your home country is what your allowed to drive/ride in Thailand once you get your international driving licence.

Usually it is noted in your International Driving License what kind of vehicles you are allowed to drive. Thats what it is for smile.png

So basically what ever vehicles you are allowed to drive/ride in your home country is what your allowed to drive/ride in Thailand once you get your international driving licence.

If the country you are in accepts the international driving licence you are allowed to drive the vehicles that the international driving licence is valid for smile.png

What is your problem? Do you ask yourself whether or not its worth to get a international driving licence? Just ask your issuing office if you want to be sure. But i doubt you will be allowed to ride bikes in Thailand without having made a valid bike licence in your home country. I guess it doesn't matter that you are allowed to ride small scooters without licence in your home country.

1. There's Grey areas confusing many and someone usually only finds out what's what if the worst happens i.e. when involved in an accident.

Thanks for the info. I am only allowed to ride a scooter in my home country as I never took my bike license. Does that still mean I can ride any CC motor bike in Thailand, I will be on a tourist visa.

So basically what ever vehicles you are allowed to drive/ride in your home country is what your allowed to drive/ride in Thailand once you get your international driving license.

Depends what language is written on your home country license, any license from another country that is not written in English will need in what is the correct terminology a IDP to translate into English for Thailand and it will usually also have other languages if applicable for other countries.

On a Thai tourist visa, original country license OK if in English if not, IDP required.

As pointed out before insurance cover can be the problem if someone is unfortunate to be involved in an accident.

• 8 months later...

There are a number of options.

For 6 years I drove my truck and rode my bikes and merely handed over my UK car license, when required and never had a problem.

Then two weeks ago I did my bike driving test and also got my car license. The driving test was very easy and I can now ride any bike and my car license was merely issued based on showing my UK license. Both licenses cost 400 baht.

For 6 years I drove my truck and rode my bikes and merely handed over my UK car license, when required and never had a problem.

Then two weeks ago I did my bike driving test and also got my car license. The driving test was very easy and I can now ride any bike and my car license was merely issued based on showing my UK license. Both licenses cost 400 baht.

in bkk i think i paid 600 total for the bike and car licence ,i suppose prices vary from office to office just like rules and regulations .....:)

in bkk i think i paid 600 total for the bike and car licence ,i suppose prices vary from office to office just like rules and regulations .....smile.png

I did have a yellow house book and was told that helped a lot.

By the way the driving test was a real hoot, about 20 of us doing a 1 minute test and it took all morning.

First of all, 3 guys turned up late and the last guy was really drunk and argued with the examiner, who told him he couldn't take the test. This made him very angry since he said he taken a day off work to do it and was losing money, anyway he wandered off for half an hour and then came back again and argued some more. He rang his father and asked him to talk to the examiner, saying that he wasn't very drunk and could easily do the test, but she was having none of it and so he carried on moaning. We laughed.

At one of the T junctions on the mini driving course a guy set his stand up to sell lottery tickets, the examiner had to go over and send him away. We all laughed.

The examiner then gave us all a bollocking for untidy parking and made 4 of 5 people walk over and park more neatly, by moving their bikes a couple of inches.

So we finally got started and the examiner asked for a volunteer to go first and a woman stood up to do so. the drunk then shouted out to her "You are going to fail"... and she did, poor girl. She forgot to stop at the T junction and indicate. She was told to come back on Monday.

Part way through the test session, while a guy was actually doing his test, someone rode across in front of him and parked his bike next to ours and walked off. The examiner shouted to him and he came back, telling her he was only going in to pay his road tax, she asked him to leave and use the proper car park.

At the end about 3 out of the 20 of us failed (excluding me) and the drunk started up again pleading with her, the examiner told him to shut up, he said he would shut up if she let him do the test. He said he could do it much faster than the rest of us, it was easy and so the examiner okay. His bike was a piece of crap and he had trouble kick starting it and he set of at a very fast pace through the slalom cones and by luck didn't hit any. The next obstacle was riding along a 20 metre plank, about foot wide, he not only fell off the plank but nearly fell off his bike. He looked up at the examiner and asked if he could try again, by which time everyone was falling about laughing. He turned his bike around and tried again, but again fell off the plank and finally realised he hadn't passed and grinned.

Now Thai TV should forget about their stupid whizz bang boing comedy shows and televise the driving tests instead. A very entertaining day.

Edited by AllanB