Price For Power ?

honoluabay

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this correct? Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

it is partly correct. i have two dogs who like fresh air and airconditioning. they open behind my back all windows and doors of our home and manipulate the remotes of our aircons. that's why our electricity bill is rather high. last billing cycle we used 3862kWh and paid 18,214.89 Baht. according to my calculator the unit price including all surcharges and VAT is 4.716 Baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/238057-financial-crisis/page-543#entry6306171

edit: sorry, forgot to mention that i am not living in Phuket but in Pattaya.

Edited by Naam

Well, there are quite a few apartments in my building. All of the tenants in my building, combined, would be using a lot of electric, and then there are the water pumps and common area lighting to run. It's possible 8 baht is a reasonable charge.

That said, why are peop[le in small complexes paying 8 baht per unit. Their small complexes of apartments/condo's shouldn't be using as much electric as the bigger ones, like mine, therefore, they should be on a lower unit price.

because the landlord pockets the difference!

Hi,

I have just looked at my bill.. I used up 216 units which starts at 0.0000 and billed at 699.23

The next line ft is .5204 which is 112.41

How do you workout the price for unit where it says 0.0000

Is you 216 x . 5204 it comes to 112.41

My question is, why is 216 charged twice for top and bottom price 0.0000 and .5204 why are the units used not split?

Thank you..

Go one line up. Above the 0.0000 is says 2 numbers, the first one your starting number, the second one the end number, the 3rd one the difference, so usage. That number has to be multiplied by the price, price is not mentioned on the bill, to reach the number on the right of the 0.0000

0.5204 (below the 0.0000) is the extra charge LIK was taliing about, mulitply that again by your usage and you see the endrult to the right. Add those 2 numbers, plus VAT 7%, and you have what you have to pay.

<snip>

The new bill takes into account the slightly reduced standing charge and lower FT.

Not sure why you talk about 'lower' FT - it's quite high at 0.52 baht, towards the end of last year its was 0.30 baht. Prior to that it was 0 and I even had a month at a minus rate i.e. a small rebate.

Sorry, I should've given the date for the first example. In that first example that I showed, this one:

The rates used to be, baht per unit,

First 150 kW.. 1.8047

Next 250 kW.. 2.7781

Above that...... 2.9780

...the FT was 0.5683 (Oct 2005)

Now, the FT for the second bill (July 2012) was 0.3000 so that's why I said the new bill used a lower FT.

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

Hi,

I have just looked at my bill.. I used up 216 units which starts at 0.0000 and billed at 699.23

The next line ft is .5204 which is 112.41

How do you workout the price for unit where it says 0.0000 and for this I presume to work out about 3.03

Is you 216 x . 5204 it comes to 112.41

So the ft number is also a fuel charge or something ?

Thank you..

216 units = 150 @2.7628 = 414.42 baht

+ 66 @3.7362 = 246.59 baht

Subtotal: = 661.01 baht

+ Standing charge: 38.22 = 699.23 baht

+ FT (0.5204*216 = 112.41 baht) = 811.63 baht

+ 7% VAT.

I have in my Condo 2 a/c Sharp and this runs 24 Hour/ 7 days a week in 25 C in automatic.

I cook by electric to but not all day and sure water heater in shower. My Computer runs 24/7 to. My monthly bill is 1700 baht +- 100 baht.

I think 2600 is many to much at a standard using.

I live in Udorn and just got my bill... 556 Units 2,450 THB works out to 4.4 THB per unit.... There is just the two of us but we run air to sleep, some times during day, computer etc...

556 units:

150 * 2.7628 = 414.42 baht

250 * 3.7362 = 934.05 baht

156 * 3.9361 = 614.03 baht

subtotal: 1962.50 baht

+ Standing charge 38.22 baht

Subtotal: 2000.72 baht

+FT 0.5204 * 556 = 289.34 baht

Subtotal: 2290.06 baht

+ 7% VAT 160.30 baht

Total: 2450.37 baht

@the OP

Best you tell us how much you are being charged per Kw unit. Hard to say whether 2,600 baht charge is excessive, could be you are running the air con in the heat of the day ?

wait until nightfall,and turn off the mains electric,see if any houses near by lose power at same time,especially if your landlord is near by,also,turn of every appliance,everything,and see if the dial on the meter is still going round.it does happen

....happened to me too....did it.... and true, the landlord was "using" my meter.....after a very polite complaint, he stopped and returned almost all the money... :)

I don't think 2600Baht is that extreme. I can use less than 500B / month with only a fan and up-to just over on 1700B / month with aircon. Which is on at night and during the day between 25C to 30C (really 30C feels like being in a fridge sometimes!) at 6B / KWh (in Phuket). I can't complain because if something goes wrong the owner swoops in like a superhero and sorts it out within a few hours!

I have computer / TV / fridge / water heater in the bathroom / kettle / rice cooker / electric wok... cooking can be 2-5 KWh / day depending on what is being cooked. Computer / TV / lighting are almost negligible. The Aircon is by and far the largest cost.

It's probably worth checking your meter and checking that the same numbers are on the bill. Also, doing some experiments with turning on and off power consuming devices to see what is using, and how much, power. Sometimes when one tenant leaves and another moves in the owner may try and charge for power from before you moved in. They can also make adding mistakes as it's almost always worked out manually. I usually take a photo (timestamped) when moving in... but that's just me.

Is this correct? Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

it is partly correct. i have two dogs who like fresh air and airconditioning. they open behind my back all windows and doors of our home and manipulate the remotes of our aircons. that's why our electricity bill is rather high. last billing cycle we used 3862kWh and paid 18,214.89 Baht. according to my calculator the unit price including all surcharges and VAT is 4.716 Baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/238057-financial-crisis/page-543#entry6306171

edit: sorry, forgot to mention that i am not living in Phuket but in Pattaya.

You have got to be joking, las bill I had in a 2 Story house with 4 air conditioners running almost all day was 11000Bt. in Pattaya, what are you doing!!

.......we are getting charged 8 bht per unit but landlord say rate is 8 bht for everyone here in phuket. Just want price rate here in Rawai.

I live in Bangkok's Silom area, in a serviced apartment to be precise. The electricity rate is 7 baht per kwh + VAT.

Everyone is posting different prices per unit.

Is it based on your geographical location at all?

Many are posting what they pay their management company. Some of us get the actual PEA bill and know what we are being charged by the PEA... Bangkok has a different electric authority than PEA. There maybe regional differences in the PEA price per unit, but I'm guessing it is not that much. As many of us have already stated, the more you use, the more you pay per unit! Plus the price has gone up over the years, per unit as well as for over the allowance at the lowest rate.

I live in Udorn and just got my bill... 556 Units 2,450 THB works out to 4.4 THB per unit.... There is just the two of us but we run air to sleep, some times during day, computer etc...

556 units:

+ 7% VAT 160.30 baht

Just wondering where you found these rates? My usage was a bit less than your example, but my bill wasn't much less. What's a standing charge?

Edited by Jimi007

556 units:

+ 7% VAT 160.30 baht

Just wondering where you found these rates? My usage was a bit less than your example, but my bill wasn't much less. What's a standing charge?

The standing charge is the rental rate for the actual meter.

@JetsetBKK - that's good work finding the actual unit step charges. Years ago I tried to find that sort of information but gave up looking. As most user do, I work out my unit rate by dividing the units used by the baht charge. So I guess that's why I am getting varied unit charges on our 3 properties as they each have quite varied unit usage..

same here pay usually around 3000 per month (no ac just fans ) but 2 pc and 1 leptop no waterpump

hopefully this month less cos me and the wife did'nt use the hot water

and electric is crap any way to many houses on the main cable so many times do not even get 230 V

suddenly wind and solar looking alot more interesting

same here pay usually around 3000 per month (no ac just fans ) but 2 pc and 1 leptop no waterpump

and electric is crap any way to many houses on the main cable so many times do not even get 230 V

if you are worried that your wife has a shot shower then you should not consider wind and solar. trust me! tongue.png

• Like 1

if you are worried that your wife has a shot shower then you should not consider wind and solar. trust me! tongue.png

@Naam not worried at all about that but the water in the tube is hot enough allready , believe me sometimes during the day wish i could mix some cold with it

Commercial and domestic properties both pay very different rates, on sliding scales.

In the case of a serviced apartment/guest house/hotel, the rates charged by the PEA are around double those paid by single detached houses, and pure condo blocks.

When building a new house, the temporary meter supplied will be charged at commercial rates - so best you go the PEA and order a domestic meter as soon as you think they'll accept that construction is completed wink.png

Edited by IMHO

OUTRAGOUS! I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with two other adults and two children. There is one A/C unit in the master bedroom which is used when the evening, inside tempature stays above 29 degrees. I never run it all night, but my highest bill ever was just over 1000 baht. This includes the electricity used by the pump that supplies well water.

556 units:

+ 7% VAT 160.30 baht

I found the charges posted by Yorkie, and posted about it here.

I don't know what's covered by the standing charge. In the UK, most utilities have a standing charge that can be much larger in proportion to the total monthly bill than the charge here. The 38.22 baht charged here seems almost not worth the effort.

• Like 1

@NKM

I would agree that 8 baht is high but maybe there are other costs that you are not aware off, and a commercial property will be paying nearer 5 baht/Kw. I happen to be a property manager and we are just happy to balance the costs against charges. We charged 5 baht until the end of last year but with this year's 0.52 baht surcharge we had to increase to 5.5 baht as we were not covering the actual PEA charge each month. It annoys me when folks quote these 3.9 baht prices. Yes that might be true with a lower use private home with own gov meter, but it is not the case with a higher use residential property with single gov meter.

And it is only going to get higher. Recent news articles in the Thai press are saying that electric prices are expected to rise dramatically later this year.

More important, will this dramatic increase in the price of electricity have a flow-on effect and increase the price of a beer???? :) :)