40K A Month Isn't Enough Anymore

balloon chaser

Its all relative to lifestyle and more impotantly location.

It stands to reason things in and around bkk, are going to be totally different to nakhon nowhere.

In my area 40k would be living very comfortably, the average thai, manages on 10k- 15k.here.

My wife shops in the village market and rarely spends more than a 100 baht, for a full meal of fresh meat vegetables and fruit. Most items are 10 baht a kilo !

If you wanna sit in a bar or pay for female entertainment then thats a different story, (you couldnt do that here anyway).

The point being its all about where you are, you,re lifestyle, and perhaps your attitude, if yiu have champagne tastes on a beer income then you need to re-think or relocate and start living within your means not beyond it. That applies really to anywhere in the world, not just Thailand, but here location really is a huge difference.

• Like 2

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As FunFon/BigJohnnyBKK keeps saying, "To each his own" but I think we all know that, as far as Thai-centric tales of woe are concerned, the overwhelming majority appear to be centred on relationships where a foreign bloke's rocked up in LOS, thrown his lot in with an attractive but poorly-educated, financially-challenged, single mother willing - and, indeed, hoping - to abandon whatever source of income she may have for the far more desirable situation where he "takes care" of her and her equally cash-strapped extended family.

I fully accept that there are instances where a man has had his clock cleaned - both financially and emotionally - by a woman of ostensibly sound financial and social standing but there's no denying whatsoever that the first scenario is more prevalent in Thailand.

Does this speak solely to the quality of the women here?

No, not at all.

I think it speaks just as much to the quality of the men who come here to find them.

As rgs2001uk suggested, the only reason a relatively educated and experienced (when compared to the average Thai) Western man would hook up with and/or marry an uneducated financial and mental sponge of a Thai woman is - put simply - because that's all he can attract

In conclusion, is 40k enough anymore?

Yes it is if you have a woman who can pull her own weight financially and make a tangible, reasonable contribution to life's expenses.

No, it isn't if you have a woman who would rather stick by your side in return for regular handouts.

EDIT - I doubt I'll get one of FunFon/BigJohnnyBKK's trademark long-winded responses overflowing with fake erudition since, it appears he's just been banned.

how do you know the first scenario is more prevalent? Surely it is just that they are more vocal - less likely to hear stories of normality are we - tales of woe are carried, enhanced and regurgitated at every turn. Simply put, there is no way you, or anyone, knows that it is more (or less) prevalent than any other scenario. Your quote of rgs2001uk does little to lend you credence - this is one myopic posters vision/opinion, nothing more. Unless he interviewed every such male, and their wives, then he is just hot air, quoting him doesn't make that any less so. Would you also say, the only reason a black man marries a white women is because his penis is too small for a black women? Its just as absurd and racially stereotypical. In the west, it has only been a hundred years or thereabout that women have been educated at all (outside of royalty) - so were all men for the last 12,000 years of civilization only marrying women because that was all they could attract (what else would they want to attract?).

Oh dear what a daft post.

Lemme see if I've got you straight here.

You're saying the first scenario is not as prevalent because those men in the second scenario aren't as vocal in their lamentations.

That's ridiculous as is your suggestion that my assertions are akin to racial stereotyping. Men in both scenarios tell their tales of woe; it's just that there seem to be more where the man has emerged from a relationship where he's hooked up with a financial sponge.

The last 5 years, the cost of living in Thailand has almost doubled for most things, but not all. Many Thais are working a number of different jobs or running a number of different small business ventures (selling Amway, Allianz, selling at the street markets, etc.) trying to make ends meet.

Errrrr, I don't think so somehow.

• Like 1

Uhhh. If you have children you need a maid. I agree if you are single I don't understand the need for a maid other than once a month.

Who could live without a car? Maybe if you are single and live in a downtown area but who wants to go out and arrive all sweaty and smelly after sitting in the back of a bus or sawng tao during the hot season?

We have the Mrs's sisters boy stays with us so that one is debunked.

Nope I have no need for a car, plenty of public transport

You didn't answer the question; what is there for a maid to do?

Uhhh. If you have children you need a maid. I agree if you are single I don't understand the need for a maid other than once a month.

Who could live without a car? Maybe if you are single and live in a downtown area but who wants to go out and arrive all sweaty and smelly after sitting in the back of a bus or sawng tao during the hot season?

We have the Mrs's sisters boy stays with us so that one is debunked.

Nope I have no need for a car, plenty of public transport

You didn't answer the question; what is there for a maid to do?

If you don't know what a maid does then you don't need one.

• Like 1

We live on about 45K (3 people).

If you don't have a child or you don't have a car or you don't have a wife you should be able to have a good lifestyle on 40K /month.

(a good lifestyle doesn't include, in my opinion, getting drunk every day or hang around in bars)

We don't have to pay rent. (If you buy property you can usually sell it at the same or a higher price you bought it. I would never hire).

We have a car and one child that goes to a Thai school with a good reputation (expensive).

We go to eat outside every meal (or buy take away) and usually one meal per day is a nice meal (in a mall). We don't cook at home.

We don't go to places where farang hang around.

We sleep in an airco room.

We work 7 days per week, 365 days per year, 10 hours or more per day and we like it.

Gass for the car: 4000 B /month for CNG gass

Buying a car + maintenance + first class insurance : 8500 B /month

meals: about 22000 B /month

rent : 0 B

electricity : 2000 B /month

water : 200 B /month

school : 5000 B /month

cloths : 1000 B /month

internet : 600 B /month

maintenance cost for house : 1000B /month

going out/fun/hobby : 1000 B/month

telephone: 600 B /month

Total expenses: 45900 B /month for 3 people

The car is also used for work, so most people would probably spend less on a CNG car.

Saving on this budget would be hard. Cooking at home would be the most easy way to save, but we don't have time for that because we're almost never at home.

The second biggest expense is the car. We can't save on that because we use it for work.

If you and your family are happy with your lifestyle then far be it from me to comment, but just a small thought that your entertainment budget seems amazingly low blink.png

take a thai woman with an education that makes her own money in stead of depending on yours...

+1

Who would foot the bill for someone else (other than their children of course) in their home country?

Plenty of guys pay for women in their own country. It depends what your want out of your partner. I want my woman to look after me and my family and I am prepared to pay for it.

I've never heard of it in Europe or America. Only saps in Thailand.

If you don't have a child or you don't have a car or you don't have a wife you should be able to have a good lifestyle on 40K /month.

(a good lifestyle doesn't include, in my opinion, getting drunk every day or hang around in bars)

We don't have to pay rent. (If you buy property you can usually sell it at the same or a higher price you bought it. I would never hire).

We have a car and one child that goes to a Thai school with a good reputation (expensive).

We go to eat outside every meal (or buy take away) and usually one meal per day is a nice meal (in a mall). We don't cook at home.

We work 7 days per week, 365 days per year, 10 hours or more per day and we like it.

The car is also used for work, so most people would probably spend less on a CNG car.

Saving on this budget would be hard. Cooking at home would be the most easy way to save, but we don't have time for that because we're almost never at home.

The second biggest expense is the car. We can't save on that because we use it for work.

If you and your family are happy with your lifestyle then far be it from me to comment, but just a small thought that your entertainment budget seems amazingly low blink.png

He spends 22,000 on eating out every night. I would say his entertainment budget is actually 23,000.

He spends 22,000 on eating out every night. I would say his entertainment budget is actually 23,000.

we go to Makro once a month and buy in for about ฿4000.-. Anything else comes out of our garden/chicken coop. I do wish people would stop responding to posts like this as though everyone lived in Bangkok, has three kids in an international school. and thinks that everyone lives like this.

we go to Makro once a month and buy in for about ฿4000.-. Anything else comes out of our garden/chicken coop. I do wish people would stop responding to posts like this as though everyone lived in Bangkok, has three kids in an international school. and thinks that everyone lives like this.

I'm a little confused. sad.png

me too. We don't all live in Bangkok as most people responding to posts like this seem to believe. Out in the sticks you can live on ฿30 000.- easy. I support a large family so I know. what's the confusion about?

wel

me too. We don't all live in Bangkok as most people responding to posts like this seem to believe. Out in the sticks you can live on ฿30 000.- easy. I support a large family so I know. what's the confusion about?

Everything.

welcome to the club.

• Like 1

As FunFon/BigJohnnyBKK keeps saying, "To each his own" but I think we all know that, as far as Thai-centric tales of woe are concerned, the overwhelming majority appear to be centred on relationships where a foreign bloke's rocked up in LOS, thrown his lot in with an attractive but poorly-educated, financially-challenged, single mother willing - and, indeed, hoping - to abandon whatever source of income she may have for the far more desirable situation where he "takes care" of her and her equally cash-strapped extended family.

I fully accept that there are instances where a man has had his clock cleaned - both financially and emotionally - by a woman of ostensibly sound financial and social standing but there's no denying whatsoever that the first scenario is more prevalent in Thailand.

Does this speak solely to the quality of the women here?

No, not at all.

I think it speaks just as much to the quality of the men who come here to find them.

As rgs2001uk suggested, the only reason a relatively educated and experienced (when compared to the average Thai) Western man would hook up with and/or marry an uneducated financial and mental sponge of a Thai woman is - put simply - because that's all he can attract

In conclusion, is 40k enough anymore?

Yes it is if you have a woman who can pull her own weight financially and make a tangible, reasonable contribution to life's expenses.

No, it isn't if you have a woman who would rather stick by your side in return for regular handouts.

EDIT - I doubt I'll get one of FunFon/BigJohnnyBKK's trademark long-winded responses overflowing with fake erudition since, it appears he's just been banned.

how do you know the first scenario is more prevalent? Surely it is just that they are more vocal - less likely to hear stories of normality are we - tales of woe are carried, enhanced and regurgitated at every turn. Simply put, there is no way you, or anyone, knows that it is more (or less) prevalent than any other scenario. Your quote of rgs2001uk does little to lend you credence - this is one myopic posters vision/opinion, nothing more. Unless he interviewed every such male, and their wives, then he is just hot air, quoting him doesn't make that any less so. Would you also say, the only reason a black man marries a white women is because his penis is too small for a black women? Its just as absurd and racially stereotypical. In the west, it has only been a hundred years or thereabout that women have been educated at all (outside of royalty) - so were all men for the last 12,000 years of civilization only marrying women because that was all they could attract (what else would they want to attract?).

You're saying the first scenario is not as prevalent because those men in the second scenario aren't as vocal in their lamentations.

That's ridiculous as is your suggestion that my assertions are akin to racial stereotyping. Men in both scenarios tell their tales of woe; it's just that there seem to be more where the man has emerged from a relationship where he's hooked up with a financial sponge.

Nope never said that at all - try reading it again. I said YOU DON'T KNOW IT IS PREVALENT - you are guessing it is. I made no claim to know either way - that was your foolishness not mine (talking about being daft!).

And if you don't think "Western man would hook up with and/or marry an uneducated financial and mental sponge of a Thai woman is" is stereotypic or racist, then that says a whole lot more about you than me.

I think the expense everyone underestimates is food.

Suppose 3 people eat 4 dishes of 40B per day or 3 dishes and 1 snack you will spend:

3x40x4 = 480 baht on food

Suppose these people drink one soft drink or cheap ice coffee or 2 bottles of water.

They will spend 60 baht per day on drinks.

That's 540 B /day or 16200B/month on food only. And they quality and amount of food you'll eat will be not very good.

You can argue that you don't need to spend so much if you eat at home, but the average family in a city in Thailand spends very little time at home.

I think the difference between BKK and any other big city in Thailand is not very big. My experience was that the food in BKK is cheap, but the rent is expensive. Public transportation is cheap in BKK and everything is close to home, so you don't need a car. So for some living in BKK might be actually cheaper than living somewhere else.

Edited by kriswillems

Nope never said that at all - try reading it again. I said YOU DON'T KNOW IT IS PREVALENT - you are guessing it is. I made no claim to know either way - that was your foolishness not mine (talking about being daft!).

And if you don't think "Western man would hook up with and/or marry an uneducated financial and mental sponge of a Thai woman is" is stereotypic or racist, then that says a whole lot more about you than me.

You're not too smart, mate but I do love it when keyboard warriors rock up and start accusing people of being racist.

I believe that the first scenario is more prevalent. That's my opinion. You disagree - fine - you're entitled to yours.

Just how - exactly - is suggesting that there are uneducated, financially-challenged Thai women actively seeking out stupid Western men stereotyping? It's a fact

Pray tell, where - exactly - did I say that ALL Thai women were uneducated financial and mental sponges.

Perhaps try engaging your brain before touching the keyboard.

I am truly sorry for you Hardened soul and IMO if you don't change your rigid attitude you are destined to end up

a very sad, old, and lonely Hardened Soul. sad.png

I don't think I understand this. I really don't. I have always liked mentally strong women who were well educated as long as they were nice people.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

My ex wife is 11 years younger than I. It worked for a long time and we're still friends. She is highly educated, has a master's degree in the health care industry and pulls down well over US$100k per year plus benefits. She's good looking still, too. Why someone would marry an uneducated gal who was nothing but a drain financially and mentally is beyond me.

The prime suspect for me in LOS if I wanted to marry but don't, would be the same. A past her "sell by date" late 30's master's degree, 40k pm government job that would probably give my senior person government health insurance and some stability. She'd probably already have a house and car.

THEN if all I had (or was willing to admit I had) was 40k pm, we'd have 80k. I wouldn't be signing for a house or a car for her, just chipping in my 1/2 of the bills.

There are plenty of really good looking gals in LOS in that situation who would marry an older man simply because most Thais won't. If they will, she has a hard time finding someone who's a match for education, income, etc.

This presupposes you keep yourself in good shape and are sober and clean and have a little class.

Why scrape the bottom of the barrel?

From what I have observed its usually the woman who has scraped the bottom of the barrel.

Take a wander up to say Big C or tesco/Lotus at On Nut and see whats wandering around.

There are plenty of really good looking gals in LOS in that situation

I posted the very same recently, and gave 3 examples of women who have no need for anyones money.

Why someone would marry an uneducated gal who was nothing but a drain financially and mentally is beyond me.

Because for many its all they can attract.

I am with HS on this one, well done.

My first questions are,

Do you have children, yes, goodbye.

Do you have ajob, no, goodbye.

Do you come with baggage, yes, goodbye.

Do you come with an attitude, yes, goodbye.

Are you able and willing to contribute to a relationship, no, goodbye.

Not interested in eye candy or girls with a my shit dont stink attitude.

Well done. wai2.gif

One more question for me.

Do you have a professional job with nights and weekends off, no goodbye.

Also, there are some very pretty gals in this category. They may not be top of the line rare stunners, but they can turn heads.

Neversure/rgs2001uk:

No children
Don't plan to have a job this time next year, or anytime beyond that date
Baggage - 1x20kg and one carryon bag
Attitude - I think you and I have enough attitude for all the women in Thailand
Willing to contribute to a relationship - initially, no way

I know your questions werent directed at me, but it seems that I've failed all bar one of the criteria. Goodbye.

Edited by MrWorldwide

I am truly sorry for you Hardened soul and IMO if you don't change your rigid attitude you are destined to end up

a very sad, old, and lonely Hardened Soul. sad.png

I don't think I understand this. I really don't. I have always liked mentally strong women who were well educated as long as they were nice people.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

My ex wife is 11 years younger than I. It worked for a long time and we're still friends. She is highly educated, has a master's degree in the health care industry and pulls down well over US$100k per year plus benefits. She's good looking still, too. Why someone would marry an uneducated gal who was nothing but a drain financially and mentally is beyond me.

The prime suspect for me in LOS if I wanted to marry but don't, would be the same. A past her "sell by date" late 30's master's degree, 40k pm government job that would probably give my senior person government health insurance and some stability. She'd probably already have a house and car.

THEN if all I had (or was willing to admit I had) was 40k pm, we'd have 80k. I wouldn't be signing for a house or a car for her, just chipping in my 1/2 of the bills.

There are plenty of really good looking gals in LOS in that situation who would marry an older man simply because most Thais won't. If they will, she has a hard time finding someone who's a match for education, income, etc.

This presupposes you keep yourself in good shape and are sober and clean and have a little class.

From what I have observed its usually the woman who has scraped the bottom of the barrel.

Take a wander up to say Big C or tesco/Lotus at On Nut and see whats wandering around.

There are plenty of really good looking gals in LOS in that situation

I posted the very same recently, and gave 3 examples of women who have no need for anyones money.

Why someone would marry an uneducated gal who was nothing but a drain financially and mentally is beyond me.

Because for many its all they can attract.

I am with HS on this one, well done.

My first questions are,

Do you have children, yes, goodbye.

Do you have ajob, no, goodbye.

Do you come with baggage, yes, goodbye.

Do you come with an attitude, yes, goodbye.

Are you able and willing to contribute to a relationship, no, goodbye.

Not interested in eye candy or girls with a my shit dont stink attitude.

Well done. wai2.gif

One more question for me.

Do you have a professional job with nights and weekends off, no goodbye.

Also, there are some very pretty gals in this category. They may not be top of the line rare stunners, but they can turn heads.

Right, so if she has to fly around the region to justify her 400K baht salary each month, you'd have to put your foot down ? Welcome to 1955. ;)

Your joking right ? 40k a month!!! More like 120-200k a month when you add eating out 7 days a week, shopping, bar bill nightly for the man 2k. The wife drinks water.

Villa staff costs 20k ,

Then bills such as car fuel ,

I've met people out here who say they live on 30k their lives are very fugal (right word ?)

I'd love to know how you accomplish that!

I assume you're a tourist?

What's wrong with eating in - probably 90+% of the world do exactly that.

2k a night bar bill is throwing money away.

Frugal is the word you're looking for and it'd the wrong word - economical is better.

I used to live on 35k a month with 2 kids, car payments of 7000 and rent 3500. Actually, I look back on those days with very fond memories.

All do respect, no im not a tourist ,

i have not eaten in unless you consider cooking a paella here in august on the beach since well honestly i cant remember when, i always ate out or ate with friends than at home as i could not be asked with the cleaning, and why should i\? just because most do??? im not most im me after all, just because its fit for 90% of the world does not mean i need to follow the lead.

2 k a night depends on budget??? <deleted> me my clubbing bills were up to 300.00 a night some times in London, let alone the bar tab!!

35k? baht??? ok fair enough that was your situation and it is not a dick contest, and i dont want to insult any one however for me personally not everyone else i could not manage on that?? and i am sure there are few others out there in the same boat so to speak.,,,

...and it is not a dick contest...

Doesn't sound like it, Jay.

Its totally not, i personally could not live on 35k baht a month, its impossible with my lifestyle and i would not change my lifestyle for anything, but i understand many do, or live to this life style which hats off too. but rushing to the bar for happy hour or eating in the cheapest resturant in town to save a buck???? doesn't make sense to me, ultimately you move here with a plan right? or finacial's right? and not to live off the bones of your arse so to speak???

finding it hard to type what im thinking lol - too tired !.

Edit

Ok, for the people moving here and wanting to live like a thai, fair enough, thats their choice, but ultimately, i could not do that, i detest thai food, (fish and so on) in the little thai restaurants but that is me not everybody, and to eat the same food daily is ludicrous !! how is that living in paradise???

you move to thailand because of what it has to offer, the sun, sea, cheaper standard of living going by many posts on here however you then eat the same food every day - it would get boring for me - for you ? im pretty sure also.

so why not mix it up, yes the places i eat like many others is pricier but there are many others which i grab late evening - midnight snacks from, modena, romantica to name a couple, these are cheaper around 300 baht a pizza - 3 x cost of 100 baht dinner ive seen posted on here but more filling and more tasty ?

i just find it mad that people will eat the same food every day to save a buck when after all they happily spend 500b a night in the bar / cut bar bill eat differently - if ever i was in this situation i would certainly do that.

Edited by Jaybonnaza