40K A Month Isn't Enough Anymore

balloon chaser

SOULLESS

Regardless, I stand by what I said which is; Any man who pays his wife or girlfriend a monthly stipend is an idiot. I'm not talking about money for houskeeping, some nice clothes, gifts or what have you; I'm talking about a regular payment she "sends to the family" that ensures she'll remain with him.

Tell you what; tell your wife or girlfriend that the stipend is being rescinded then come back and tell us all what happened . . . once you've fought through the cloud of dust she's left on the way out.

I totally agree - And while we're at it I think we should stop taking care of our children. Let the little buggers buy their own diapers and milk, doctor visits, cute clothes and toys. Damn straight.

Simply a feeble attempt of humor. Forgive me.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I couldn't do that I would be unhappy.

-

If circumstances were such that you had to make do on less, I would hope you'd find a way to still find happiness.

Just to give some perspective, some of the Jews waiting to be exterminated by the Nazis found ways to be happy.

And were you there to witness that happiness then? Ridiculous comparrison.

Some people are only able to achieve happiness through doing things which entail spending money. Others are happy with activities that involve spending little.

There are many variables. The majority of farangs married to Thais that I know complain about their wives spending, inability to budget and the "little white lies" when it comes to what they've spent money on. Trying to reason with them or expalin financials is a waste of time - regardless of their background. So few would be happy with 40k a month farangs as they all like to show off. I'm sure they wouldn't get away with this with a Thai husband. But, in reality that is part of the reason they look for a farang husband.

^^ HardenedSoul ... nope ... just asked what your partner worked as.

If you don't wish to reveal that ... fair enough.

But continuing to show her photo as what partner you can attract, saying that you never contribute a stipend under any circumstances, then the question re her vocation remains.

Just giving you the platform to man up and say ... then the question is mute.

If you choose not to ... fair cop.

As Thailand often says ... up to you ... rolleyes.gif

EDIT:- BTW ... I do respect your conviction, and the fact that you are prepared to stand by them ... thumbsup.gif ... our mileage varies though.

I hope you have more luck retaining your partner once you've told her the stipend's history than you do retaining information.

The original post containing the photos says - really, really clearly - that:

I've got a woman I've been seeing for nigh on 3 years. She's hardly unattractive. She's got no kids. Her family are more than self-sufficient. She runs her own business selling artificial flowers to high end hotels in Asia. She owns property in Ubon Ratchatani (spelling?)

The mileage in my argument is infinte. Yours . . . not so much.

If circumstances were such that you had to make do on less, I would hope you'd find a way to still find happiness.Just to give some perspective, some of the Jews waiting to be exterminated by the Nazis found ways to be happy.

Yeah, for sure. One guy came up with a ballpoint pen about seven years before it was actually invented. The one that Anne Frank used to finish her diary.

And were you there to witness that happiness then? Ridiculous comparrison.

-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633324-40k-a-month-isnt-enough-anymore/?p=6309858

Yes ridiculously extreme example but wanted to make the point that one's happiness doesn't need to depend on anything external.

Edited by FunFon

SOULLESS

Regardless, I stand by what I said which is; Any man who pays his wife or girlfriend a monthly stipend is an idiot. I'm not talking about money for houskeeping, some nice clothes, gifts or what have you; I'm talking about a regular payment she "sends to the family" that ensures she'll remain with him.

Tell you what; tell your wife or girlfriend that the stipend is being rescinded then come back and tell us all what happened . . . once you've fought through the cloud of dust she's left on the way out.

I totally agree - And while we're at it I think we should stop taking care of our children. Let the little buggers buy their own diapers and milk, doctor visits, cute clothes and toys. Damn straight.

Don't be daft. That's hardly the same is it?

You can't compare a helpless child with a fully-grown woman who'd rather meet her financial obligations with the proceeds of a stipend provided by a hapless, lovelorn idiot than rely on her own efforts.

Guys getting into relationships where they know full well the woman's gonna chuck her job in favour of the meal ticket he represents are idiots and time usually proves it.

SOULLESS

You can't compare a helpless child with a fully-grown woman who'd rather meet her financial obligations with the proceeds of a stipend provided by a hapless, lovelorn idiot than rely on her own efforts.

Guys getting into relationships where they know full well the woman's gonna chuck her job in favour of the meal ticket he represents are idiots and time usually proves it.

ThaiVisa members are different, I know that, because they tell me on the on the internet that they are different, nearly every Farang I know in real life ended up with a bargirl, seems very strange that nearly every Farang on an anonymous internet forum, didn't.

It don't make sense, most guys on ThaiVisa are old, how would they get a normal Thai woman without there being some financial benefit to her, it just don't happen in real life, only in internetland.

This woman 30 years my juniour loves me for who I am..............yeah right, of course she does.

40K a month for beer - not sure I remember what I spend the rest of my money on.

-

Take a room above a pub, promise to only drink there and you'll get room and board for free!

Just be sure to stay on top of the bar tab. . .

cheesy.gif

SOULLESS

ThaiVisa members are different, I know that, because they tell me on the on the internet that they are different, nearly every Farang I know in real life ended up with a bargirl, seems very strange that nearly every Farang on an anonymous internet forum, didn't.

It don't make sense, most guys on ThaiVisa are old, how would they get a normal Thai woman without there being some financial benefit to her, it just don't happen in real life, only in internetland.

This woman 30 years my juniour loves me for who I am..............yeah right, of course she does.

Yeah well some of us don't live in Phuket or whatever, so we may beg to be allowed to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I don't agree. Anyone that can't be content at 40K will not be content at 400K

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Well, I am.

Seriously, when I walk up to a Krungsi ATM and push the buttons for 30,000 baht I am relieved when the machine spits out the 1000 baht notes. I can do that several times in a month. On the other hand, when there was a disruption and I was forced to use a SCB for 20K, I was stressing for 2 days until my bank sorted the account issues out. I can't live my life the way I want on 40K.

I'd be miserable relegated to living in a small room with no fan and forced to subsist on cheap Thai food. Sometimes I will take a cheap FD or NOK airfare at 2,000 baht or so, but mostly, I will pay the 3200 baht to fly in business so as to avoid the hassles of some airports. That's what the difference in income means. It also means being able to take care of those I love , and being able to support some charities that I hold dear. If I couldn't do that I would be unhappy.

I live on less than 40k per month, my wife works with me not against me. We have 2 children and we still eat out at least 3 times a week and enjoy weekends at the beach.

If you cant live on 40k per month you need to take a long look at your lifestyle.

Would I like more money...of course. Would I be any happier.....no!

Ceteris paribus, you WILL be happier if you had more money.

These ladyboys are prostitutes. Why do so many people think ALL ladyboys are all hookers?

Nobody said ALL ladyboys are hookers. There is a huge khatoey fraternity in Thailand (as there is 'girls') who go nowhere near prostitution. DP25's post was specifically about the Cowboy area and, in that context, it is absolutely right to classify them together.

Don't single out ladyboys, in the context of these posts, for moral fortitude. They are often the lowest of the low and some of the most dangerous individuals.

That's what I was trying to say.

DP25 wrote - "You can get a 2 bedroom for 1/4 to 1/2 that price and not have to put up with living next to a whorehouse and deal with hundreds of hookers, sex tourists, taxi touts, scammers, ladyboys, and beggars everywhere."

You say !!

You are also not married with a bar girl aren't you ?

Because according to this post of yours http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/467118-100000-yen-enough/?p=4420733 You're 29 years old, Japanese national and your girlfriend works in a beauty salon in Thailand.

But you seem to age quickly and change nationality like others change underwear, because according to this post of yours only 1 year later http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/593380-my-brother-in-laws-girlfriend/?p=5785055 you are frrom the UK, live here for 23 years already and bought umpteen cars and houses for your Thai wife, while at the time you left the UK you already had an ex-wife. That was at the age of 7 years then.

Now get back under your bridge instead of calling other members a troll.

Now that was an outing.

Right up there with internet millionaire, "meatballs" who apparently makes enough to pay all his expenses with a click of his mouse and then rocks up on the Pattaya forum trying to find a condo with all the trimmings for 2,000 baht a month.

geriatrickid, on 17 Apr 2013 - 07:45, said:

GuestHouse, on 16 Apr 2013 - 22:31, said:

I first came to Thailand in 1990 ... 40K was not enough then, 2013 it barely covers transport and fuel costs.

Well that's because you insist on a proper toilet and aren't a pro with a bum gun.

You are probably one of those high fallutin farangs who won't wear polyester or eat street vendor delights featuring soups made with unknown water sources and mystery meat.

I could go on, but I know your type - too hi so for Thai whiskey and insistent on using soap in the shower.

In 1990 I went to Koh Pa Ngan where I could eat a noodle meal for 10 baht, rent a beach bungalow for 60 baht and buy 6 bottles of drinking water for 20 baht. All I needed extra was a bottle of Saeng Thip 50 baht and a few Changs(4 large for 100 baht). That's being a tourist, or a drunken backpacker. That's 8000 baht a month.

What exactly were you doing in Pattaya Guesthouse?

a few Changs(4 large for 100 baht).

You were doing well to get Chang in 1990, it wasnt even available, from memory the only beers available were, Kloster, Singha and Amarit.

Carlsberg came before Chang, and we all know the Carlsberg story, even now Chang cant produce decent beer, how many goes have they had, Chang, Chang Lite, Chang Draft, Chang Classic and their latest offering of piss Chang Export.

• Like 2

You say !!

Because according to this post of yours http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/467118-100000-yen-enough/?p=4420733 You're 29 years old, Japanese national and your girlfriend works in a beauty salon in Thailand.

But you seem to age quickly and change nationality like others change underwear, because according to this post of yours only 1 year later http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/593380-my-brother-in-laws-girlfriend/?p=5785055 you are frrom the UK, live here for 23 years already and bought umpteen cars and houses for your Thai wife, while at the time you left the UK you already had an ex-wife. That was at the age of 7 years then.

Now that was an outing.

Right up there with internet millionaire, "meatballs" who apparently makes enough to pay all his expenses with a click of his mouse and then rocks up on the Pattaya forum trying to find a condo with all the trimmings for 2,000 baht a month.

There are at least 3 other user names he should also have spotted, all used by the same user.

geriatrickid, on 17 Apr 2013 - 07:45, said:

GuestHouse, on 16 Apr 2013 - 22:31, said:

I first came to Thailand in 1990 ... 40K was not enough then, 2013 it barely covers transport and fuel costs.

Well that's because you insist on a proper toilet and aren't a pro with a bum gun.

You are probably one of those high fallutin farangs who won't wear polyester or eat street vendor delights featuring soups made with unknown water sources and mystery meat.

I could go on, but I know your type - too hi so for Thai whiskey and insistent on using soap in the shower.

In 1990 I went to Koh Pa Ngan where I could eat a noodle meal for 10 baht, rent a beach bungalow for 60 baht and buy 6 bottles of drinking water for 20 baht. All I needed extra was a bottle of Saeng Thip 50 baht and a few Changs(4 large for 100 baht). That's being a tourist, or a drunken backpacker. That's 8000 baht a month.

You were doing well to get Chang in 1990, it wasnt even available, from memory the only beers available were, Kloster, Singha and Amarit.

Carlsberg came before Chang, and we all know the Carlsberg story, even now Chang cant produce decent beer, how many goes have they had, Chang, Chang Lite, Chang Draft, Chang Classic and their latest offering of piss Chang Export.

I don't know when Chang originates, as I only came here in 1994, but I remember very well that you could get 4 Changs for 100 Baht at some time since i live here.

You say !!

Now that was an outing.

There are at least 3 other user names he should also have spotted, all used by the same user.

That could just be a random shot from the hip........

........ you will have to name names now smile.png

Chang wasn't around til mid 90's as far as I recall...when I moved to Samui circa 1992, it didn't exist.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I don't know when Chang originates, as I only came here in 1994, but I remember very well that you could get 4 Changs for 100 Baht at some time since i live here.

It could have been something else - whatever it was it affected my memory!

Edited by Neeranam

Why do you think the threshhold,for retirement visa is Bht 62,000 per month.

Not Bht 40,000.

Bht 80,000.is comfortable.

Because most of the farangs have to pay their wife/gf a salary and can't live without hanging in the bar 8 days a week.

Deduct thes two expenses and most save 50.000 Baht a month.

"Most of the farangs"?

I think you may actually be quite surprised.

^^ Agreeing with you.

So much of the banter here talks about 'me' or 'her' ... but rarely about 'us' ... as you described it ... a 'partnership'.

Even more laughable when HD claims to know what women want. That might not be far from the truth though since he has "dated" more than a few, yet he has to stick around long enough to know what they really want. Perhaps he is the modern 1 min man.

^^ Agreeing with you.

So much of the banter here talks about 'me' or 'her' ... but rarely about 'us' ... as you described it ... a 'partnership'.

Y'know, I don't think the sentiments in Smokie's post really apply to you, Dave. You're paying your bird.a salary so she doesn't leave you beside the kerb and go back to work in gainful employment in order to take care of her family.

That's not a partnership and you know it.

Still, you go ahead and use that term to make yourself feel better about what you're doing but you're not fooling anyone here.

If I couldn't do that I would be unhappy.

-

If circumstances were such that you had to make do on less, I would hope you'd find a way to still find happiness.

Just to give some perspective, some of the Jews waiting to be exterminated by the Nazis found ways to be happy.

Were you there? If so, you must have been in the SS as not many Jews escaped with their lives.

Back in 1984, my wife, myself and our then 1 child, could live comfortably in Chiang Mai on 10,000 baht per month, and had money spare at the end of each month, I kid you not.

I can remember during those times, going to the now closed, Paradise bar in the town. Spending for the whole evening, with a meal, drinks and lady thrown in, for under 900 baht. Drinks were about 30 baht each, a reasonable meal, 60 baht and a lady with bar fine 500 to 600 baht, sometimes less if she liked a guy. A packet of smokes about 9 baht. I was doing this on a regular basis once a week. There is no way I could afford to live like that in present times.. And before anyone mentions it, I was married at the time. Shame on me.

To be able to afford a similar sort of lifestyle today, including living expenses, I estimate that it would require 60000 to 80000 baht, perhaps more.

i think everything, perhaps because of greed, has gone way out of proportion. Never before has the Thai saying of; no money, no honey, been so absolute.

• Like 1

Were you there? If so, you must have been in the SS as not many Jews escaped with their lives.

-

Most estimates put the count at around 200,000 - here are some lists.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633324-40k-a-month-isnt-enough-anymore/?p=6309858

Yes ridiculously extreme example but wanted to make the point that one's happiness doesn't need to depend on anything external.

"Most of the farangs"?

I think you may actually be quite surprised.

-

IMO most farang living here are in relationships that at least started off as explicitly commercial.

Many high-horse types here wouldn't call them marriages, but that's not for someone outside to say IMO.

If the term were always defined to only include strong intimate relationships between "equal" partners, then many back home would be disqualified as well.

• Like 1