Non-Immigrant B Renewal.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't see a thing when I search.

I am Australian, have a non-B 12 month visa, but will probably go for a non-O next time around as I doubt I'll be doing any more teaching.

I entered Thailand on October 20th 2012, so my visa expires next October;

Question 1) Can I extend another 90 days after October 20 before having to renew my visa?

Question 2) What has been the experience of T.V. members when renewing? I rather dread the thought of hanging around Chiang Mai Immigration all day for this.

I have a return ticket to Brisbane, Australia for October, not only for Immigration. Should I use this and get a visa renewal in more congenial surroundings?

wai2.gif

You either have a multi entry non immigrant B visa issued at a Consulate which would be valid until the date on the visa (one year from date of issue) and require and exit/return to get a new 90 day entry.

Or you have a one year extension of stay from an immigration office on basis of work.

Extensions are one year at a time for employment so not sure how you expect to obtain from Chiang Mai unless with full employment paperwork and it would be for one year but end if employment ends.

With your present visa if you leave say a week before the visa expires and come back to Thailand before the date the Visa expires you will get another 90 days.

Effectively giving you 15 months on your visa.

You either have a multi entry non immigrant B visa issued at a Consulate which would be valid until the date on the visa (one year from date of issue) and require and exit/return to get a new 90 day entry.

Or you have a one year extension of stay from an immigration office on basis of work.

Extensions are one year at a time for employment so not sure how you expect to obtain from Chiang Mai unless with full employment paperwork and it would be for one year but end if employment ends.

I have a multi entry non immigrant B visa. As I am not working now, there would be no 'basis of work extension'.

From what you say, must I depart Thailand 12 months after the visa expires, or as the next reply suggests, I can extend a further 90 days and then apply at a consulate for a non-B visa??

Can this be done at CM Immigration office or is it necessary to obtain this from an overseas consulate?

I have a multi entry non immigrant B visa. As I am not working now, there would be no 'basis of work extension'.

From what you say, must I depart Thailand 12 months after the visa expires, or as the next reply suggests, I can extend a further 90 days and then apply at a consulate for a non-B visa??

Can this be done at CM Immigration office or is it necessary to obtain this from an overseas consulate?

OOps. that should read "non-B visa".

A multiple non-B visa is valid for 1 year, but only allows you to enter for 90 days at a time. Than you have to depart and can re-enter again the same day as long as your visa is still valid. (I hope you did leave every 90dyas, otherwise you will be on overstay, unless you have an extension of stay from immigration. The stamp in your passport tells till when you are allowed to stay).

By leaving and re-entering just before the visa expires, you get a new 90 days.

You can not obtain a non immigrant O visa from immigration if already here on a non immigrant visa but you can extend your stay for Thai wife if you meet the requirements during the last 30 days of any entry from the B visa entry the same as from the O visa entry.

whistling.gif If you have what you say you have....meaning a Non B multi entry visa that is good until 10 October 2013, you do not need to extend it in Thailand.

A multi entry visa should be stamped as valid for 1 year, or more likely have a expiration date on it that shows it is good for one year from date of issue.

For that visa it is date of ISSUE that is important NOT date of entry to Thailand.

That is because the visa you got form that Thai consulate that allowed you to ENTER Thailand originally is good for one year from date of ISSUE.

Once past that one year issue date your visa expires.

If your visa is good until 10 October 2013 than you can do a border run to the nearest border, exit Thailand making sure to get a valid exit stamp, enter the neighbouring country (getting stamped in entry ther), and then turn around and rxit that country (making sure you get exit stamp from that country also).

Then you can enter Thailand and get a 90 day permission to stay stamp based on that multientry visa,

Even though the visa will expire the next day (10 October 2013) that permission to stay stamp will keep you legally in Thailand until it expires.

That's how you max out a 12 month multi entry visa .... staying here for 15 months on a one year visa....by getting that 90day permisson to stay stamp one day before your visa actually expires.

That's called "maxing out" or "milking dry" your one year visa.

If you're in Bangkok, there are services that you can do a "border run" with.

They will run around 2000 Baht all included (Cambodian visa included also). It's about a 12 hour day trip to the Cambodian border from Bangkok in a 16 passenger air-conditioned van (with toliet/snack stops along the way.

You can do it cheaper if you do it all yourself, but a "border run" with one of those services is the luxury VIP method.

I did 3 of them on my one year Non O multi-entry visa before I then finally did my retirement extension when my visa expired.

wai.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am single, no wife, no worries there. It seems that in summary, I can go up to Burma a day or so before the visa expires, get a final 90 day extension, and that's it. Yes, I've been very careful to keep within my 90 days limit.

BUT, to get another multi-entry, non-B visa for 12 months, I have to apply from a consulate outside of Thailand. Correct?

I'm 74 and within retiring age, but the 'money in the bank' requirement prevents a retirement visa at this stage.

You are aware and pension income can be used along with bank money to reach the required 800k. If that is not available a multi entry non immigrant O visa might be available from your home country with less financial requirements so you should check if that is an option from an honorary consulate.

Am I wrong? The regional consulate will only give a 90 day single entry? To obtain 1 year one must return to home country?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am single, no wife, no worries there. It seems that in summary, I can go up to Burma a day or so before the visa expires, get a final 90 day extension, and that's it. Yes, I've been very careful to keep within my 90 days limit.

BUT, to get another multi-entry, non-B visa for 12 months, I have to apply from a consulate outside of Thailand. Correct?

I'm 74 and within retiring age, but the 'money in the bank' requirement prevents a retirement visa at this stage.

Normal visa for retirement is non immigrant O-A issued in home country which provides one year stay on entry. Alternate is single entry non immigrant O and you extend yearly inside Thailand. The multi entry O may be issued by some Consulates to those that travel often but of retirement age but often will require trip to home or western country to obtain and most often from honorary consulates that are unable to issue the O-A visa. Locally multi entry is not normally issued for retirement age reasons.

^ Thanks for that but I thought a B could be converted at immigration to retirement?

Can I ask please, do you think I can do a border run and get a 90 day extension on my current 7 day extension ? ( from a 1 year ext.) ?

Cheers

You do not appear to have any visa so no you can not obtain a new 90 day entry - if you qualify for requirement with the funds available you could extend for that reason at immigration but that is not what you appeared to be asking.