16/04/2013: Expat In Bangkok Attacked With Machete!

A Korean expat has been attacked today near Bangna with a machete! Earlier today he went jogging with his Thai girlfriend, when a "Thai mafia-type" man on a motorbike tried to 'stop' them by extending his arm in front of the couple. The Korean held his hand in front of the Thai, in order to stop the intrusion. He, the Korean, later went to his apartment building, followed by the mentioned Thai man, who took a machete to cut the Koreans face several times. The Korean was admitted to hospital.

(Remarks: OP is not the victim, but has the info from a travel agency, mostly catering to Koreans. Victim lives in the mentioned area close to Bangna. OP lived in mentioned area in the past, and has first-hand knowledge of Thais who could be called 'mafia', i.e. professional drug (e.g. ya-ba) dealers. OP has never taken drugs, but thinks that such ctiin that part of Sukhumvit is plausible. Best luck for the victim! Everyone, please be careful.)

How does he know or have 'first hand knowledge' of these mafia-types that attacked him with a machete?Everywhere I've been in South-East Asia the Koreans seem to continually get themselves into problems,deservedly or not!
I rented a house in the North and the previous Korean tenants had taken all the air-conditioners with them when they left the house!

• Like 1

How does he know or have 'first hand knowledge' of these mafia-types that attacked him with a machete?Everywhere I've been in South-East Asia the Koreans seem to continually get themselves into problems,deservedly or not!

I rented a house in the North and the previous Korean tenants had taken all the air-conditioners with them when they left the house!

No, not the victim (had) first-hand knowledge, but I, the OP! (Years ago, if you had asked me where to buy ya-ba, I could have told you what alley, what apartment building, what room... Not because I was into drugs, but because I knew someone, who sold this stuff, plus her friends who sold (and re-packaged) even more drugs! So, I know, that the Korean lives in an area (Soi 101), where you better don't live as an expat. As for Koreans, well, what was it about the owner of that visa run company? (Still, I am sorry for the victim, no matter what nationality.)

Edited by 007

There's dealers all over this and every other country. Every area in this country has them. Doesn't make them mafia.

All those farangs that have moved into condos there since Udom Suk BTS opened had better be careful then. Never had a problem while staying there myself, but it only takes one time.

Was the motorbike trying to turn left and wanted them to stop but they barged through ? It seems strange if they were trying to stop them there and then they went away and didn't deal with it then.

Obviously alot more to this story that we are not hearing.

I think (and left out for that reason), that the Korean, in response to the Thai on the bike, who stopped the Korean and girlfriend with his outstretched arm to tease(??) them, kind of pushed the Thai back(??). Perhaps the Thai was enraged, so he went to get the machete...

There's dealers all over this and every other country. Every area in this country has them. Doesn't make them mafia.

All those farangs that have moved into condos there since Udom Suk BTS opened had better be careful then. Never had a problem while staying there myself, but it only takes one time.

Was the motorbike trying to turn left and wanted them to stop but they barged through ? It seems strange if they were trying to stop them there and then they went away and didn't deal with it then.

Whenever I've seen houses for rent in that area,Bang Na/Udom Suk they're all big 3-4 bedroom villas,some with private pools.The only thing you'd need to be careful of is not getting lost in the gardens!

Obviously alot more to this story that we are not hearing.

I think (and left out for that reason), that the Korean, in response to the Thai on the bike, who stopped the Korean and girlfriend with his outstretched arm to tease(??) them, kind of pushed the Thai back(??). Perhaps the Thai was enraged, so he went to get the machete...

And bears ..............

-

If they want to remain in business (in some cases just alive), then they at least need to make their fealty payments to the BiB 2nd most important mafia in the LoS. That in my books makes them part of "the mafia" here.