Where To Live - 20 Years On

WinnieTheKhwai

Which do you all think is best, downtown Chiang Mai or a little into the Mae Taeng suburbs?

I looked at units in the Baiyoke Santitham Tower which seems sufficiently far away from the Nimmanhaemin ghetto. The area is a bit posh though for my liking, with all the rich Chinese and Burmese yobs showing off in the pubs. But I like that it's walking distance to the Chiang Mai Historical Park area within the moat; the Farang price for a yearly entrance pass is a bit steep of course, but I still think it's one of the best places to visit, especially in the mornings before the crowds get in.

Another potential concern could be the distance to Sankamphaeng International Airport, as well as Meechoke Terminal for the HSR to Kunming; taxis are piled up sky-high at the Kad Suan Kaew parking lot, but are all demanding 3000+ baht where it should be 1000-2000 baht on the meter.

Not sure if that situation will improve soon with some more regulation. Or a city bus service. I wish they'd bring the red Songthaews back, where you could just hop on and go anywhere within the Historical Park for a handul of baht. Those were the days; I guess I'm getting old. :(

• Like 1

Well, maybe not Mae Taeng, but all of the other ones for sure. (Mae Jo, Doi Saket, Sankamphaeng/Bor Sang, HangDong-Sanpatong). wink.png

In the sense that those areas won't feel like distinct villages anymore, but rather be gobbled up by Chiang Mai.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Mae Tairng way too far, barely civilised, severe flooding problems, people die every year.

Doi Saket also too far and not enough amenities, very dull in the evenings.

Sanpatong, same.

I've tried driving in from all those, not much fun.

Just bought a house near MaeJo, lots of night life due to the Uni, 15Km in to CM center is just doable, Rimping and Sausage King very close.

BoSang also good only 10Km to CM center.

Mae Rim, this side is also OK, but expensive, don't know why.

Not sure I can make it for another 20 years though.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

After the Thai civil war?

Yes, that's why it referenced 'Kad Suan Kaew parking lot'. :-)

Genetic engineering transforms Bar Girls into Blue Girls like Avatar. "How much for the girl with the giant tail?"

I met her last Friday I think. :/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If I were young enough to relocate our Thai domicile from our present rural location that is already being gentrified by an invasion of both western and Thai folks, I would be moving to some property outside of Wat Chan.

• Like 1

After the Thai civil war?

Yes, that's why it referenced 'Kad Suan Kaew parking lot'. :-)

Genetic engineering transforms Bar Girls into Blue Girls like Avatar. "How much for the girl with the giant tail?"

I met her last Friday I think. :/

You should not walk on that side of the moat at night...

• Like 1

I live in the boonies of Bo Sang. Exactly 12 km's from the airport. Takes me all of 20 minutes on a bad day to get to the airport. I like the small town feel of the village we live in. I guess if there is to be a new airport in SanKampang all that will change unfortunately.

-snip-

Just bought a house near MaeJo, lots of night life due to the Uni, 15Km in to CM center is just doable, Rimping and Sausage King very close.

-snip-

I like your priorities: in an emergency, get to Sausage King before Thepanya Hospital!

T

20 years? Most of us will be dead.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Mesquite,

Are you implying that there are some here that are not "living dead" ?

~o:37;

Ha, and that gets close to what I tried to get in there between the lines: appreciate the moment; because these will be the good old days before you know it.

I'll have that diem to carpe, if nobody else wants it.. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I live like right next to Sang Dee and love the area since I can walk to Sumo, Ynot, Berr Republic, Monkey, Warm, and a plethora of other bars, but I don't think I would want to be there in 20 years, unless I someone owned something in the area.

Honestly, 20 years? I would be looking at Chiang Rai and Nan, which would be more like the Chiang Mai of 10 years ago.

Chiang Rai and Nan.. not enough history or substance to be comparable to Chiang Mai at any time in the past, IMHO.

Maybe Luang Prabang could be a closer match. Laos could well grow some common sense in the next 20 years and become more feasible as a place to live.

Of course that assumes that I would prefer a quieter, less developed place in favor of where Chiang Mai is going. So far I like how far Chiang Mai has come, and where it's is going.

i really dont get this love of CM and why people want to live here..Seriously

.Its ok for short term ,

,Only passed through it 30 years ago and still only passing through.

everyone to there own though,just my opinion.

The girlfriend is wanting me to move to CM for the long term future to be near her daughter and that i can understand,agree and accept.

so she took me to where her sister is getting some government subsidised house in a new scheme..

Nice enough,good wee small bungalows like many a nice street back home.

Nae the uncertainty of the visas and pollution tells me to get out

back to Europe

some great things going on there /here as well ,but no problems with visa

Chiang Rai and Nan.. not enough history or substance to be comparable to Chiang Mai at any time in the past, IMHO.

Maybe Luang Prabang could be a closer match. Laos could well grow some common sense in the next 20 years and become more feasible as a place to live.

Of course that assumes that I would prefer a quieter, less developed place in favor of where Chiang Mai is going. So far I like how far Chiang Mai has come, and where it's is going.

Oh, it has nothing to do with History, but living amenities, size, population, etc.

In 20 Years I can see Chiang Rai getting it's second mall, of a larger size, a sizable selection of restaurants, and bars, maybe a growing night life.

Nan will probably have something of a mall, maybe like Chiang Rai or only as big as Phits.

But with the influx of Chinese, and some opting to come overland through Laos, I can see both of these areas growing, especially due to people wanting that small town feel that Chiang Mai is rapidly losing.

My problem is that I don't see myself of my GF getting the salaries we can get elsewhere, or even the same caliber of jobs.

No worries though, as it stands now I plan to return to the US next April May to help out with some family issues, so for the next 3-10 years I may only be visiting Thailand, so I may just get the chance to check out all areas before settling back more permanently.

• Like 1

i really dont get this love of CM and why people want to live here..Seriously

.Its ok for short term ,

,Only passed through it 30 years ago and still only passing through.

everyone to there own though,just my opinion.

The girlfriend is wanting me to move to CM for the long term future to be near her daughter and that i can understand,agree and accept.

so she took me to where her sister is getting some government subsidised house in a new scheme..

Nice enough,good wee small bungalows like many a nice street back home.

Nae the uncertainty of the visas and pollution tells me to get out

back to Europe

some great things going on there /here as well ,but no problems with visa

No problems here with Visa's.

Just with the people getting them.coffee1.gif

If you don't mind the moaning and groaning they do you won't even have a problem with them.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well on second thought there is if you are trying to get one for your girl friend or wife to take them to North America or a lot of places in Europesad.png .

We as farongs can go to the nearest immigration office. Turn in the paper work and go. Most of the others have to go to Bangkok to the Embassies where they are interviewed after paying a certain non refundable amount of money.. Here in Chiang Mai we are fortunate if you are applying for an American one you can do it here.whistling.gif

Even then there is no guarantee. A friend of mine said he was on a flight to Seattle. There was a lady from Lao's with her visa and they still turned her back.sad.png