Big Crowds In Gold Shops Today....buying Or Selling?

jaideeguy

The whole point of buying gold is to have it in your hand as an emergency hedge against war/disaster/financial collapse/ethnic cleansing/zombie plague.

Anyone accepting paper in the place of gold, has to be completely insane more insane than the gold bugs.

Well, that's ONE reason for buying gold. There are others. I don't mind much what I buy or sell so long as I believe a] the price is likely to change sufficiently in a useful time scale; b] the market is sufficiently liquid and likely to be around when the time comes to buy or sell. I've been trading gold stocks (in companies that buy and sell the metal) for some time. Purely for the convenience that I can trade it with a few mouse clicks.

Edited by telstrareg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold is dropping because global inflation rates are so low,gold is generally used as a hedge against inflation.That's at least according to JP Morgan but I'm sure there's some boiler room Billies on here that know better than them! :
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-15/the-price-of-gold-is-crashing-dot-heres-why#r=rss

Also there was 500 metric tons of paper gold dumped onto the market on Friday in two lots,100 tons and 400 tons.

• Like 1

The whole point of buying gold is to have it in your hand as an emergency hedge against war/disaster/financial collapse/ethnic cleansing/zombie plague.

Anyone accepting paper in the place of gold, has to be completely insane more insane than the gold bugs.

Well, that's ONE reason for buying gold. There are others. I don't mind much what I buy or sell so long as I believe a] the price is likely to change sufficiently in a useful time scale; b] the market is sufficiently liquid and likely to be around when the time comes to buy or sell. I've been trading gold stocks (in companies that buy and sell the metal) for some time. Purely for the convenience that I can trade it with a few mouse clicks.

You can trade spot gold online with just about any online broker also,the benchmark platform for it is Meta Trader 4,a Russian built platform.

Edited by Eesat

Gold is dropping because global inflation rates are so low,gold is generally used as a hedge against inflation.That's at least according to JP Morgan but I'm sure there's some boiler room Billies on here that know better than them! :

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-15/the-price-of-gold-is-crashing-dot-heres-why#r=rss

Also there was 500 metric tons of paper gold dumped onto the market on Friday in two lots,100 tons and 400 tons.

There are many reasons why the price of gold does what it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are people trying to argue about what's already happened?The answer to the question of 'How much of an effect will it have on the market?',is the biggest single one day drop in gold bullion in three decades!

That's how much of an effect it had,only on Thai Visa could people argue it's a drop in the ocean and nothing will happen when it just has!

What's the follow-up thread,'Is Black really White?'

Your "biggest single day drop in gold bullion" is false.

Bullion didn't drop.

It's the paper position (ETF, Derivative, Futures) margin buying paper hangers that took this hit.

The bullion market is another kettle of fish.

Please don't come back with another opinion here.

Facts.

Possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen,spot gold is the price at which gold bullion is bought and sold.If you don't understand that you really have no business posting here!

Ok, eesat, some people on this thread would like to know where they can buy .999 London Good Delivery List physical gold (bullion) for "spot".

Been to Yawarat to see what's for sale lately? Chains and trinkets

Have you read anything about mainlanders from PCR mobbing Hong Kong's gold dealers?

Have you noticed that Tulving, Gainsborough, Kitco and the other big dealers have pulled their physical gold off the market.

Have you noted that the premiums on physical gold and silver have increased dramatically in response to demand for physical on

(What was it?) paper ????

Before you order a poster off the board or out of a thread because he does not agree with your opinion on something you know little about I would advise you to learn something about the subject at hand.

You and gold ? Fugeddabowdit

And *me* and what *I* know about buying and selling gold ?? Fugeddabowdit

• Like 2

And yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know that Yaowarat gold, even Thai bullion, is only 23 kt.

It's not bullion as such.

Kitco will take it on after they assay it in their smelter at your expense and their are *still* line-ups of Thais who want to to buy it as a storage of wealth.

The price of gold and silver bullion, 999 Fine Gold bullion has been corrupted by massive dumplings of paper positions most notably naked shorts and paper positions that never entitled their holders to delivery of anything.

The big attraction of paper is that you can buy it on margin.

BMO was offering 10/1 four years ago.

You want bullion? You get a few weeks credit but you don't get credit until the check clears.

You try to kite the deal like you effectively can with paper gold and derivatives and they will send you to jail.

Paper positions the same as 999 London Good Delivery List bullion ???

Hey, fuggeddaboudit.

Why are people trying to argue about what's already happened?The answer to the question of 'How much of an effect will it have on the market?',is the biggest single one day drop in gold bullion in three decades!

That's how much of an effect it had,only on Thai Visa could people argue it's a drop in the ocean and nothing will happen when it just has!

Bullion didn't drop.

It's the paper position (ETF, Derivative, Futures) margin buying paper hangers that took this hit.

Facts.

Possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen,spot gold is the price at which gold bullion is bought and sold.If you don't understand that you really have no business posting here!

Ok, eesat, some people on this thread would like to know where they can buy .999 London Good Delivery List physical gold (bullion) for "spot".

Have you read anything about mainlanders from PCR mobbing Hong Kong's gold dealers?

Have you noticed that Tulving, Gainsborough, Kitco and the other big dealers have pulled their physical gold off the market.

Have you noted that the premiums on physical gold and silver have increased dramatically in response to demand for physical on

Before you order a poster off the board or out of a thread because he does not agree with your opinion on something you know little about I would advise you to learn something about the subject at hand.

Do you honestly not understand that spot gold is the selling price of physical gold bullion then?Quite laughable that you try to pass yourself off as an expert in gold really,isn't it?

The best way to own gold is South African Kruggerands,freshly minted but obviously historical coins fetch more but take longer to sell.It appears that your only experience in the gold market seems to be in Thai gold shops in Yawarat, in one single place in one single country,quite laughable really!laugh.png

Edited by Eesat

ermm.gif Now let me think............... Gold goes down, buy or sell? Gold goes up buy or sell? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You're comment would be amusing if it was actually correct (usually a good place to start). Gold has been decreasing steadily since September 2012. It didn't just bottom out overnight and spur a rush to buy gold. A couple of factors to consider:

1. The type of people who use gold shops are generally those from lower incomes. Same as the check cashing places back in the US. These people aren't hoarding large quantities of cash and monitoring the price of gold futures on Bloomberg to decide when the right time is to get back into the market.
  2. During Songkran people buy gifts, just like we do at Xmas. Some of us use credit cards around that time if we don't have all of the cash. They use their gold.
  3. The baht is very strong against the dollar as a result of higher demand for the baht which stems from higher direct investment from foreign investors (Check out the recent pronouncement from the central bank). With rock bottom interest rates, Thai banks and financing companies have been lending money faster than they can acquire it. If a Thai bank, financing company, or the government borrows money from overseas, they do so in the lender's domestic currency (say the dollar or yuan). They then convert it into baht, hence the strong demand for baht.

Some may disagree, but it is pretty clear we have a credit bubble here. Home loans and car loans have increased dramatically of recent, however, salaries have remained relatively constant. Pretty clear indicator of what's going on.

• Like 1

Bullion didn't drop.

Facts.

Do you honestly not understand that spot gold is the selling price of physical gold bullion then?Quite laughable that you try to pass yourself off as an expert in gold really,isn't it?

The best way to own gold is South African Kruggerands,freshly minted but obviously historical coins fetch more but take longer to sell.It appears that your only experience in the gold market seems to be in Thai gold shops in Yawarat, in one single place in one single country,quite laughable really!laugh.png

South African Kruggerands in Australia attract goods and services tax of 10% as they're not investment gold <99%

I would'nt buy them.

Bullion didn't drop.

Facts.

The best way to own gold is South African Kruggerands,freshly minted but obviously historical coins fetch more but take longer to sell.It appears that your only experience in the gold market seems to be in Thai gold shops in Yawarat, in one single place in one single country,quite laughable really!Posted Image

South African Kruggerands in Australia attract goods and services tax of 10% as they're not investment gold <99%

I would'nt buy them.

Of course you wouldn't.

Many countries, Canada is an example, class the state's own national .999 gold or silver rounds as currency.

You'll pay a premium to the seller ie Kitco etc., but since you are buying and selling your own national currency, you will not pay any tax.

I'll hazard a guess and suggest that since Kruggerands are not Australian currency, and may not be .999 gold, you would have to pay tax. Gold and silver are a universally recognized, portable storage of wealth. They will have value in the event of a fiat paper currency collapse.

Once in a while (as we did in the last few decades) you get spikes in the asset price of gold and silver bullion.

While this is lovely it is not the best reason to buy gold.

An ounce of gold has always bought a good suit.

A silver .25 cent piece will almost fill the tank of your Firebird in 2013 just the way it did in 1966.

Buy gold and silver as a storage of value.

How much you need is a matter of personal judgement.

Eesat

Do you even read any posts other than your own replies to comments you haven't fully understood ?

A lot of us would just love to know where you can buy anything but a paper position on gold at the spot price.

We buy bullion from places like Tulving's, Kitco and Gainsborough for spot plus a premium.

If you can tell us where to get g&s bullion without paying an over-spot premium please share.

Who's selling gold bullion much cheaper than Kitco?

Just go to these sites and stop trolling the grown-ups with your provocations.

A few things to consider if you live in Thailand and are buying Thai gold or considering buying it.

As a couple of posters have mentioned already, Thai gold is normally 23 K or 96.5% pure. The daily price you see, with the 100 Baht spread, is the current price for bullion (96.5%) ingots. Jewelry, although still the same grade (96.5%), attracts a labour premium meaning there is an additional surcharge per baht for buying or selling. In Yaowarat this is normally 400 THB per baht of gold added or deducted for the transaction you are making.

If you live in Thailand, plan to stay here (retire) and want to buy and sell gold; the only gold to buy is Thai gold. Just because you own investment grade (99.99%) coins and bullion from overseas doesn't mean the Thai gold shops will buy them. As a friend of mine found out recently, when he tried to offload some 1 oz American Eagles, normally they won't buy them. The reason? because it's not Thai gold. If you are living here, and you want to get involved in buying and selling gold, on the ups and downs (as the Thais do) then the only gold to buy is Thai gold.

The Thai measurement of gold (Baht) = 15 grams approx., and the daily price tracks the world bullion price per gram. A good website is the following:

http://www.goldpricethai.com/price

Another good website for looking at the big picture re economies, world finance, markets, investment comment and looking forward is:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2013/5/9_The_Single_Most_Important_Chart_For_All_Of_2013.html

The chart on this commentary is very interesting. In 2000 the gold price was at about USD 280 per oz. It is currently at USD 1450 per oz. That's almost a five fold increase in 13 years. Who's to say where it will be in another 13 years?

• Like 1

Bullion didn't drop.

Facts.

Do you honestly not understand that spot gold is the selling price of physical gold bullion then?Quite laughable that you try to pass yourself off as an expert in gold really,isn't it?O

I would'nt buy them.

OK,admittely Krugerrands were a bad example as I'm not into numismatics but the point is pure gold coins are the best way to hold physical gold.Just replace Krugerrand with American Eagles,Canadian Maples,Mexican Libertades or even Fijian Gold Pacific Sovereigns if you like!

ermm.gif Now let me think............... Gold goes down, buy or sell? Gold goes up buy or sell? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You're comment would be amusing if it was actually correct (usually a good place to start). Gold has been decreasing steadily since September 2012. It didn't just bottom out overnight and spur a rush to buy gold. A couple of factors to consider:

1. The type of people who use gold shops are generally those from lower incomes. Same as the check cashing places back in the US. These people aren't hoarding large quantities of cash and monitoring the price of gold futures on Bloomberg to decide when the right time is to get back into the market.
  2. During Songkran people buy gifts, just like we do at Xmas. Some of us use credit cards around that time if we don't have all of the cash. They use their gold.
  3. The baht is very strong against the dollar as a result of higher demand for the baht which stems from higher direct investment from foreign investors (Check out the recent pronouncement from the central bank). With rock bottom interest rates, Thai banks and financing companies have been lending money faster than they can acquire it. If a Thai bank, financing company, or the government borrows money from overseas, they do so in the lender's domestic currency (say the dollar or yuan). They then convert it into baht, hence the strong demand for baht.

Some may disagree, but it is pretty clear we have a credit bubble here. Home loans and car loans have increased dramatically of recent, however, salaries have remained relatively constant. Pretty clear indicator of what's going on.

I see people buying these bars they didn't strike me as lower class. Don't know that it's much of a bubble as one could have made a couple thousand baht a bar in the past week or so. But I am all for learning new stuff. What does buying a bar of gold for 18,000 baht and selling it in a week for 20,000 baht have to do with a bubble?

post-73727-0-31375000-1368364607_thumb.g

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Eesat

Do you even read any posts other than your own replies to comments you haven't fully understood ?

A lot of us would just love to know where you can buy anything but a paper position on gold at the spot price.

We buy bullion from places like Tulving's, Kitco and Gainsborough for spot plus a premium.

If you can tell us where to get g&s bullion without paying an over-spot premium please share.

Who's selling gold bullion much cheaper than Kitco?

Just go to these sites and stop trolling the grown-ups with your provocations.

If you want to trade spot gold online you still have to pay the broker or liquidity provider as most are now ECNs,&lt;deleted&gt;!rolleyes.gif

The average spread is 50-75 points or pips,plus you pay swaps on positions left overnight to liquidity providers,do you expect them to do it for free?

Your arguments are weak at best to non-existent at worst!

There is no way in hell u r buying and selling in the West for lower margins than Thailand.

True.

Since you are only trading in 23kt gold, you are already giving up about a 4% premium plus the hundred baht per "baht" handling fee.

But since both the seller and the buyer get clipped by handling less than pure gold it's a wash.

Anyone who thinks that Yaowarat gold trades are for peasants and small holders would do well to spend a day or two down there watching the trades. Bags of wads of 1000's are handed over and bars and ornaments are exchanged. That's the wealth storage market. Few middle class Thais wear these clunky shows of wealth. The show boat market is smaller. And it is more rural.

There are huge transactions of 10 baht wafers and ingots done every day.

Except now.

It's almost impossible to find bullion bars of 23kt gold for sale at these prices.

You'd think that with gold being sold off that this would not be the case.

It's paper trades that have pushed the bullion price down.

Central banks all over the world are scooping up this cheap gold by the ton.

Go figure.

• Like 1

Buy and Sell Aurora Thailand 99.9% today 21,170 21,220

Is online cheaper or more expensive?

Maybe I didn't ask correctly. But..... Is it more profitible to buy gold on line or 99.9% pure gold bars in a Thai gold shop given one is correct at projecting a profitable position? A few days ago the price was 18,000 and today it's 21,000. Very little risk holding real gold eh? A few percent as opposed to whatever one has to put up for margin on line. But what is the cash profit difference?

Thai gold is about 96.1% give or take a few stray molecules of accidental or intended "corruption".

Apparently, at least officially, these Yaowarat (wouldn't go anywhere else Hua Heng Sen is best) these dealers aren't interested in anything else.

.999 London Good Delivery List from our good friends at Kitco work best. Maple Leafs, wafers, 5 to 10oz, cast ingots are all "list"

Silver maples are useful in a collapse as well.

It's only every so often that gold pokes its head out of the sand to look like a good quick buck play. It's mostly a sweat free storage of value and a hedge against inflation.

Any capital gains are just delightful bonuses :-)

Personally I stay away from paper gold funds.

That's fine for me but no for everybody.

But if all your finance action is here, you can play the 23kt game

Thai gold is about 96.1% give or take a few stray molecules of accidental or intended "corruption".

Apparently, at least officially, these Yaowarat (wouldn't go anywhere else Hua Heng Sen is best) these dealers aren't interested in anything else.

.999 London Good Delivery List from our good friends at Kitco work best. Maple Leafs, wafers, 5 to 10oz, cast ingots are all "list"

Silver maples are useful in a collapse as well.

It's only every so often that gold pokes its head out of the sand to look like a good quick buck play. It's mostly a sweat free storage of value and a hedge against inflation.

Any capital gains are just delightful bonuses :-)

Personally I stay away from paper gold funds.

That's fine for me but no for everybody.

But if all your finance action is here, you can play the 23kt game

Gold Thailand today 96.5% 20,300 99.99% 20,985 Prices from Aurora Thailand

There is no way in hell u r buying and selling in the West for lower margins than Thailand.

True.

Since you are only trading in 23kt gold, you are already giving up about a 4% premium plus the hundred baht per "baht" handling fee.

But since both the seller and the buyer get clipped by handling less than pure gold it's a wash.

Anyone who thinks that Yaowarat gold trades are for peasants and small holders would do well to spend a day or two down there watching the trades. Bags of wads of 1000's are handed over and bars and ornaments are exchanged. That's the wealth storage market. Few middle class Thais wear these clunky shows of wealth. The show boat market is smaller. And it is more rural.

There are huge transactions of 10 baht wafers and ingots done every day.

Except now.

It's almost impossible to find bullion bars of 23kt gold for sale at these prices.

You'd think that with gold being sold off that this would not be the case.

It's paper trades that have pushed the bullion price down.

Central banks all over the world are scooping up this cheap gold by the ton.

Go figure.

Listen mate,you're no trader are you?The more you go on the more obvious it becomes!

You just keep dragging up the same old tired names like Kitco and Yaowarat market,for some reason you think that Thailand is a big player in the global gold market and I really don't know why?Anyone with half a brain knows that the biggest players in that market are China and India and also knows when.The Chinese New Year and the Indian wedding season are when global markets spike up,due to demand from these two countries.

Thailand isn't even on the map when it comes to gold being traded and Yaowarat market is utterly insignificant in the scheme of global gold trade,no matter how many bargirls with their creaking farang husbands you've seen dragged there!

Maybe I didn't ask correctly. But..... Is it more profitible to buy gold on line or 99.9% pure gold bars in a Thai gold shop given one is correct at projecting a profitable position? A few days ago the price was 18,000 and today it's 21,000. Very little risk holding real gold eh? A few percent as opposed to whatever one has to put up for margin on line. But what is the cash profit difference?

If you're talking about trading gold online then obviously that will be more profitable as you have the added advantage of using leverage but it's a double edged sword.The ability to make more money and faster also means the ability to lose it faster as well.Gold is notoriously volatile and can drop by USD $50 overnight,which is 5,000 points or pips.,If every one of those pips is worth USD $10 then I'm sure you get the picture!

As you rightly point out,it's all about risk to reward and how much you are willing to take?

The lowest official price recently was 18,600bht and nobody was selling at that price, 19,300bht was the lowest I could actually buy it (and take it home).

I would be interested to hear if anyone in CM managed to make a physical purchase from a gold shop for below 19k3, and if so, how much it cost.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican