Big Crowds In Gold Shops Today....buying Or Selling?

jaideeguy

Today I ventured out in public for the first time in a week [i'm a songkran hermit] and in the gold shop in big C, there was a lot of action. We all know that gold is down now, but I was curious if the Thais were buying because of the low[er] or selling before it gets lower?? What's your thoughts??

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying.

There are currently shortages of physical gold worldwide and before Songkran all the shops had to impose limits and issue IOUs for buyers, who are now trying to take possession of the promised metal.

Central banks have been on a buying rampage, unofficially a de-facto gold standard's coming back, and they're trying to do it without driving the price up too far.

As soon as the physical price drops a bit from recent stratospheric highs, places like India and Thailand see huge demand spikes.

Last time I bought for a teerak it had just gone over 10K, sure which I'd bought and held then. . .

Gold price at a three year low.

Bht 18,850.per 1 Bht weight.

Today the price dropped Bht 2,400.

Bought most of mine in 2008-9 so it will have to drop another US$300 for me to be on a loss. Saying that, I did sell some just before the US election but bought it back a few weeks later just after the US election. Price had gone up a little but lost on transactions.

gold prices go down and then go up. in the end it evens out , it is not a good resource to make good money in

Can say the same for stock prices, coffee, pork bellies, dog racing, poker.

Lots of people make their livings in all of the above. Maybe you mean simply that it's not easy to make a living, or it's very risky or. . .

And who's talking about making a living here anyway?

As a long-term store of value, if you think that the causes of the 2008 financial crisis weren't fixed but just postponed, and there's a chance there's worse to come not just in the USD but Euro and UK pound as well, then it would make sense to have at least some of your assets in small-denomination physical gold just as a hedge against such events.

• Like 1

Gold price at a three year low.

Bht 18,850.per 1 Bht weight.

Today the price dropped Bht 2,400.

Bought most of mine in 2008-9 so it will have to drop another US$300 for me to be on a loss. Saying that, I did sell some just before the US election but bought it back a few weeks later just after the US election. Price had gone up a little but lost on transactions.

Take your profit, it's not a dirty word you know smile.png

• Like 1

Amazing the shadenfreude comments made by people on this thread to the OP for posting a perfectly reasonable question!Especially given the fact that these people seem to have no grasp of the facts behind the big retracement in gold's spot price!
Gold has indeed plummeted to it's biggest 1 day drop since the 1980s,the reason behind this was the news that the Cypriot Central Bank was about to dump 10 tons of physical gold onto the market,about 400 million Euros worth.They still haven't done that yet but may be forced to by the IMF to unlock 10 million euros worth of loans.
Central Bank Chief Panicos Demetriades said last week that the Cypriot government didn’t have the right to sell gold without his consent.He also signalled the administration hadn’t involved him in the plan.The Cypriot central bank manages the country’s gold stock,which amounts to 13.9 metric tons,according to the World Gold Council.

So obviously if this sale goes ahead gold will fall much,much further,think around the USD $1100/troy oz mark.Therefore anyone buying gold now would be very,very foolish with the prospect of the huge Cyprus sell off hanging over the gold market like the Sword of Damacles!

• Like 1

gold prices go down and then go up. in the end it evens out , it is not a good resource to make good money in

Can say the same for stock prices, coffee, pork bellies, dog racing, poker.

Lots of people make their livings in all of the above. Maybe you mean simply that it's not easy to make a living, or it's very risky or. . .

And who's talking about making a living here anyway?

As a long-term store of value, if you think that the causes of the 2008 financial crisis weren't fixed but just postponed, and there's a chance there's worse to come not just in the USD but Euro and UK pound as well, then it would make sense to have at least some of your assets in small-denomination physical gold just as a hedge against such events.

i make a very good living here , i am love Thailand for that .

Amazing the shadenfreude comments made by people on this thread to the OP for posting a perfectly reasonable question!Especially given the fact that these people seem to have no grasp of the facts behind the big retracement in gold's spot price!

Gold has indeed plummeted to it's biggest 1 day drop since the 1980s,the reason behind this was the news that the Cypriot Central Bank was about to dump 10 tons of physical gold onto the market,about 400 million Euros worth.They still haven't done that yet but may be forced to by the IMF to unlock 10 million euros worth of loans.

Central Bank Chief Panicos Demetriades said last week that the Cypriot government didn’t have the right to sell gold without his consent.He also signalled the administration hadn’t involved him in the plan.The Cypriot central bank manages the country’s gold stock,which amounts to 13.9 metric tons,according to the World Gold Council.

So obviously if this sale goes ahead gold will fall much,much further,think around the USD $1100/troy oz mark.Therefore anyone buying gold now would be very,very foolish with the prospect of the huge Cyprus sell off hanging over the gold market like the Sword of Damacles!

A logical if rather simplistic view.

The Cypriot governent may be considering selling their gold but, as you said, it's only worth €400m. These suckers need to raise another €6-7 billion. The rest, I'd imagine would have to come from additional levies on deposit holders within the two beleaguered banks and, as it stands, they have to raise a total of €13bn to qaulify for a troika loan of €10bn.

Can you see the Cypriot people going for that?

As someone said, the gold ain't been sold yet and even if it is, it's a piffling amount in the grand scheme of things. I can't see the troika be able to bully the Italians and Spanish into doing the same. The people will tell them where to go.

Thank you Blumpkin for your analysis. Fools rush in.... I almost wanted to buy as well. I think I will wait.

Thanks for the speculative analysis you mean. Some talking head made a statement and an 'analyst' infers that the Cypriot bailout is contingent on selling a chunk of their gold.

That about sums it up. Make of it what you will.

It's a totally psychological commodity and therefore irrational, if you're in it for speculation risky sure you may want to take your profits but if you're holding as a hedge against future disasters long-term fundamentals haven't changed wrt UK/Euro/US printing money, all the major central banks will continue to buy gold, China being a huge factor.

My suspicion is this move is a technical over-reaction stimulated by central banks wanting to be able to buy more cheaply. If Cyprus sold all its reserves tomorrow their long-term demand would soak it up without a blip.

-

i make a very good living here , i am love Thailand for that .

-
I am love Thailand same same you Kevvy.

It's a totally psychological commodity and therefore irrational, if you're in it for speculation risky sure you may want to take your profits but if you're holding as a hedge against future disasters long-term fundamentals haven't changed wrt UK/Euro/US printing money, all the major central banks will continue to buy gold, China being a huge factor.

My suspicion is this move is a technical over-reaction stimulated by central banks wanting to be able to buy more cheaply. If Cyprus sold all its reserves tomorrow their long-term demand would soak it up without a blip.

-

<deleted> so clever yet cannot pay his rent clap2.gif .

• Like 1

As someone said, the gold ain't been sold yet and even if it is, it's a piffling amount in the grand scheme of things. I can't see the troika be able to bully the Italians and Spanish into doing the same. The people will tell them where to go.

Agreed. Cyprus is a sideshow, an also-ran. Meanwhile, nobody's paying much attention to what Ireland and Portugal are doing with their gold right now. Certainly not the amazingly young, stunningly beautiful and incredibly clever Mrs NanLaew! Edited by NanLaew

A logical if rather simplistic view.

The Cypriot governent may be considering selling their gold but, as you said, it's only worth €400m. These suckers need to raise another €6-7 billion. The rest, I'd imagine would have to come from additional levies on deposit holders within the two beleaguered banks and, as it stands, they have to raise a total of €13bn to qaulify for a troika loan of €10bn.

Can you see the Cypriot people going for that?

Whilst the ratio of the value of there gold to there debt may well influence there decision to sell, hpothetically what affect is it likley to have on the market if they did dump it?

In global gold market terms is 400m euros a small or large amount?