Are You Waterlogged?

wayned

My maid and her family are on their way back sometime in the next few days, they report there wasn't enough water in their area of Isaan to have any water-throwing.

crying.gif

But of course their once a year visiting family members was a higher priority.

Your Songkran sounds really nice, wayned, it sounds like you had the sort of 'ideal' experience where everyone was good natured. It's far preferable to malicious drenching with ice-cold buckets of water that most Thais go in for. I stayed in Bangkok and found even when I went to visit the in-laws, Thais were quite subdued this year. I had a great time at Mega Bang Na with my son as they had an outdoor water park, kind of like watergun-meets-paintball with nets and obstacles.

i too witnessed the real way to celebrate Songkran. I was amazed at the village spirit , going to the temple and then afterwards having a feast , as everyone brought food for all to enjoy .After that there was the blessing for the older people as well. They included me , which I felt honored to be a part of ,this is the real Songkran

Why is it that everyone that squirted me while I was walking aimed for the crotch? Hard do believe that's part of the tradition.

With the notable exception of the guy that apparently added bleach to his water because my shirt has a big bleached out spot where his bucket of water hit me while riding my bike.

Contrast that to the lovely waitress who politely asked if she could sprinkle a little water with flower petals on our hands to wish us good fortune. That's what (I hope) Songkran is really all about

Edited by impulse

Spent this SK in the provinces, much more traditional but not much fun in my opinion. Other than a bit of water hitting me while pouring water on the elders hands i was dry as a bone. Next year i hope we can stick around bkk for the first day so i can go out and relive my youth.

The Friday was a nightmare, with over-excited falang youths on the rampage near Tha Pae Gate.

But the Saturday was incredible, as you can see from theblether's photos.... I was with the same group. The thai people accepted us happily and made us very welcome. There was no vicious soaking, but a lot was done respectfully, on the shoulders.... none of this "have-a-bucket-of-dirty-moat-water-in-your-face" attitude. The wee kiddies really made the day for me - in fact for all of us, I am sure the others would agree.

My lady (who was with us) informs me that next year I will see the real Songkran with her family in her village in Lamphun. I'm looking forward to that!

I spent the day in jail. Tried to start up Songkran in Australia, just me and my water pistol. Got charged with assault and possible drug charges from smearing suspicious white powder on strangers faces. biggrin.png

lucky it wasn't in America, they would put you on terrorist charges....

• Like 1

I spent the day in jail. Tried to start up Songkran in Australia, just me and my water pistol. Got charged with assault and possible drug charges from smearing suspicious white powder on strangers faces. biggrin.png

lucky it wasn't in America, they would put you on terrorist charges....

But he wouldn't be able to post from Guantanamo....

I had a great Songhan here in BKK. I got shot outside of Big C in Suk 77 by a suspicious black Camry with tinted windows . The back window went down and i was viciously shot by at least two water pistols then the window wound up and the car drove off. Every drive by should be that tastefully accomplished .

Our kids went off everyday and did not even come back for food . Street party with food everywhere .They were soaked and tired by time night fell and were too tired to do anything but sleep. Such a peaceful time for us.

After 4 days of SK in Kalasin, real fun, I am in Pattaya for a few days to say good bye to some mates.

Today is the main Songkran day here - already been soaked by all and sundry and off for some more just now - wish me luck :)