To Buy Or Not To Buy Will Gold Keep Falling

Re: 'Will GOLD keep falling or when will it level?? is now the time to buy or should I hang fire and wait ????.'

What you should do is sell the gold you have now, wait until the price rises a little and then get back in.

Alternatively buy some more with cash you don't have and then sell when the price has dropped some more.

The gold market has been stagnant for the last few months,

After 2 years of unrealistic gains,

The current price is a correction,giving a somewhat true value.

Major market institutions are of loading gold to seek investments with a better return,also long term future holders are profit taking.

My humble opinion is buy,as a long term view,with occasional upward price gains.

A fall in price of the recent magnitude is unprecedented,(the bottom has fell out)

End of the day it is your money,you make the choice.

Many professional traders get it wrong..

Good luck.

Went to a gold shop today to find out the price as I'm thinking of buying some gold jewelry for investment and it will please the wife. (Thai style investing, aye?)

So, they quoted me 20,000 baht per baht.
I asked what yesterday's price was and they said 20,400 (I knew it had dropped further from the big drop 2 days ago)
I asked what it was 2 days ago and they said 22,150.
So, I see it is in line with the drop of 10-12% worldwide.

Then I look in a Bangkok website and they say: The buying prices yesterday closed at 18,571.00 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments and 18,850 baht per baht-weight for gold bar.

The selling prices closed at 19,350 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments, and 18,950 baht per baht-weight for gold bar.

So, my question is: Is the gold shop ripping me off if the selling price is 19,350?
Or is this their common (normal) markup?

I'm not a pro by any means and just trying to find a good shop.
I only went to one.
This was in Phuket (I know, highest prices in Thailand)

So, can someone tell me what the prices in the gold shops are for buying by us?
Thanks in advance.

Went to a gold shop today to find out the price as I'm thinking of buying some gold jewelry for investment and it will please the wife. (Thai style investing, aye?)

So, they quoted me 20,000 baht per baht.

I asked what yesterday's price was and they said 20,400 (I knew it had dropped further from the big drop 2 days ago)

I asked what it was 2 days ago and they said 22,150.

So, I see it is in line with the drop of 10-12% worldwide.

Then I look in a Bangkok website and they say: The buying prices yesterday closed at 18,571.00 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments and 18,850 baht per baht-weight for gold bar.

The selling prices closed at 19,350 baht per baht-weight for gold ornaments, and 18,950 baht per baht-weight for gold bar.

So, my question is: Is the gold shop ripping me off if the selling price is 19,350?

Or is this their common (normal) markup?

I'm not a pro by any means and just trying to find a good shop.

I only went to one.

This was in Phuket (I know, highest prices in Thailand)

So, can someone tell me what the prices in the gold shops are for buying by us?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/RatesAndFees/Gold/Pages/Gold.aspx

Wait for the PIGS to sell their gold first

Selling? Who's selling?

The shop (normally bursting with gold jewelry was about 20% full as they had sold most everything they had the last 2 days.

My wife told me there was a line to get in last night.

They weren't selling.

Wait for the PIGS to sell their gold first

Selling? Who's selling?

The shop (normally bursting with gold jewelry was about 20% full as they had sold most everything they had the last 2 days.

My wife told me there was a line to get in last night.

They weren't selling.

they weren't selling in Nakhon Nowhere? huh.png

What I hear from the general public is that people are BUYING more gold.

So I expect the price of gold to raise briefly before falling again below the lowest level it reached some days ago.

This expectation is simply based on the fact that the ignorants are buying.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

The price of gold in Thailand is influenced by the exchange rate and the international gold price.

Local demand doesn't affect the price one whit, unless you're letting yourself get taken for a ride.

Use a well-known trust dealer on Yaowarat, for example Hua Seng Heng and you can't really go wrong.

Small buyers are buying, 1 or a few baht to add to the collection. Those with serious investment I would imagine increased the supply by selling at mid 20k for 1 baht and then bought usd (investments / property) at less than 30 baht to the dollar.

The large buyers would have bought in around 20,000 baht for a "baht" when usd was much stronger, making a killing on both asset and currency. Happy days for those at the top, while the masses think they are now getting a bargain buying a baht of gold well under 20,000 baht.

• Like 1

Just look at historical prices - gold is still 2 to 3 times its average historic price.

http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-charts/market-data/gold

what, pray tell, is gold's average historic price?

$1 an ounce of less. For all of history.

$700 an ounce for history of the last 12 years.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

PIGS=loser countries in southern europe

add Ireland to get PIIGS.

I'd also add France... need a new acronym. PIFIGS ? FIPIGS ? FPIIGS ? your choice.

Which bar would that be?

Any... most Thai people at the moment say "gold very cheap now" and "it walways goes up"... pointing out the incoherence is no use.

But: I have come to learn that when everyone from your hairdresser to the taxi driver talks about an investment being good - then it's time to get out.

• Like 1

I'd also add France... need a new acronym. PIFIGS ? FIPIGS ? FPIIGS ? your choice.

Which bar would that be?

Any... most Thai people at the moment say "gold very cheap now" and "it walways goes up"... pointing out the incoherence is no use.

But: I have come to learn that when everyone from your hairdresser to the taxi driver talks about an investment being good - then it's time to get out.

eg the massive queues outside Apple stores had people piling into Apple shares all the way up to $700. it was going to $1000 for sure.
  • Like 1

Which bar would that be?

Chinese Gold & Silver Exchange Society has essentially sold out of gold bullion, and must wait until Wednesday for shipments to arrive from Switzerland and London.

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2013/04/19/chinese-gold-silver-exchange-society-runs-out-of-gold-importing-from-switzerland-and-london/

Edited by midas

Chinese Gold & Silver Exchange Society has essentially sold out of
gold bullion, and must wait until Wednesday for shipments to arrive from
Switzerland and London.

surely a big consolation for those who lost ~25% during the last 1½ years.