New Regs. Buy A Car On A Tourist Visa?

meithai

Hi, saw this on a website today, Does anybody know if the regulations have changed?

I am in the Ubon Ratchatani area, does anybody have experience with them? I want to buy a car on a tourist visa.

''If you want to buy a car in Thailand, you need the following documents:

Copy of your passport
, showing picture & visa page

New:
now you only need a
Tourist Visa
in your pass

New: now you only need a Tourist Visa in your passport.''

http://www.living-in-thailand.com/buy-a-car-in-thailand.html

I don't know what you think might have changed but if you read the link you provided it suggests that not much has changed! You can't buy a car without having longer term residency than just 30 days (which is specifically excluded) and 90 day reporting usually requires a one year visa.

Edited by chiang mai

I don't know what you think might have changed but if you read the link you provided it suggests that not much has changed! You can't buy a car without having longer term residency than just 30 days (which is specifically excluded) and 90 day reporting usually requires a one year visa.

Well it does say 'new' & I always thought one could only buy a car & register it own name on Non o or B visa, Am I wrong?

Well it does say 'new' & I always thought one could only buy a car & register it own name on Non o or B visa, Am I wrong?

You can buy on a Tourist Visa.

• Like 2

With Just 30day Tourist Visa, can I buy a NEW toyota hilux?

No. You don't have a visa you have a 30 days exemption. Long time ago you could only buy if you were resident (retired, married, working) then they changed it to include those on any type of visa including tourist. But excluding those on 30 day exemptions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No. You don't have a visa you have a 30 days exemption. Long time ago you could only buy if you were resident (retired, married, working) then they changed it to include those on any type of visa including tourist. But excluding those on 30 day exemptions.

ok, then if I get 60day tourist visa that should be ok?

Officially, yes. However it must be said, that TiT... Not every office interprets the rules the same. Ymmv.

• Like 1

"Officially, yes. However it must be said, that TiT... Not every office interprets the rules the same. Ymmv."

Do u know any office that will allow me to register? How about Surat Thani?

Also who can provide letter of residency other than immigration?

I've owned 4 cars in Thailand so far - each on just a Tourist visa.

just 30day stamp? if so which area did you register the cars?

He said 'tourist visa', not 'no visa', which a 30 day stamp is.

Visa is required.

First 2 cars: A 6 month Tourist Visa +Affirmation of Address from Embassy).

I'm not entirely certain which area 2 of the cars were registered - The dealer registered them on my behalf (I'm assuming DLT near Chatuchak).

Another car I registered myself at the DLT near Sukhumvit 101 (Tourist Visa + Affirmation of Address from Embassy).

4th Car is still on red plates but will also be registered in my name. I will be on a tourist visa.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

"Officially, yes. However it must be said, that TiT... Not every office interprets the rules the same. Ymmv."

Do u know any office that will allow me to register? How about Surat Thani?

Also who can provide letter of residency other than immigration?

Ah... Surat Thani. So assuming that you want a set of wheels for Samui where even regulation immigration paperwork costs 3 to 5 times the official rate? I would recommend the you pitch a tent in Chonburi where farangs buying cars are commonplace and get the deal all set up. Then pop over to Savannakhet in Laos, get a TR visa, come back and buy the Hilux and then drive it to Samui.

If you are buying cash, should be a breeze but consider going on finance and keep some of your cash in the bank. Ordinarily a WP (among other things) is required to qualify for finance here but if you want to pay 50% down, you should be able to get financing on a TR visa and proof of residence... and some other bits of paper the dealer may request.

I just bought my 4th car, all bought on a 30 day stamp on arrival at airport, no visa. I own a condo so I have an address (but a rental agreement will do), went to phuket immigration, 300 baht for the proof of address letter, then copies of passport and the letter and off to vehicle office in phuket town. Blue book now in my name. I also have had 4 bikes in my own name too. Only one at a time I hasten to add!

I just bought my 4th car, all bought on a 30 day stamp on arrival at airport, no visa. I own a condo so I have an address (but a rental agreement will do), went to phuket immigration, 300 baht for the proof of address letter, then copies of passport and the letter and off to vehicle office in phuket town. Blue book now in my name. I also have had 4 bikes in my own name too. Only one at a time I hasten to add!

Ah Well. Theres allways one.w00t.gif

• Like 2

Also a letter of residency can be obtained from other places too, not just immigration.

Who else can provide the letter of residency other than immigration?

Embassy ... And also if you have a work permit, no need for that famous letter!

• 6 months later...

Officially, yes. However it must be said, that TiT... Not every office interprets the rules the same. Ymmv.

Well that's assuming that they can read English, since Thai visas are only in English. There's been confusion about whether a previous tourist visa of mine was valid for 3 months or had a 60-day stay. The official interpreted it as a 3-month visa. In any case, a tourist visa was fine for the purpose I was showing my passport for (to obtain a 1-year driver's licence). But the officials in Bangkok didn't know how to read it. Perhaps Thailand should start issuing bilingual visas, like in China and Vietnam. Thais have a horrible comprehension of the English language so I don't understand what they're trying to prove by not writing visa details in Thai as well as English. English is not an official language of Thailand.

Well that's assuming that they can read English, since Thai visas are only in English. There's been confusion about whether a previous tourist visa of mine was valid for 3 months or had a 60-day stay. The official interpreted it as a 3-month visa. In any case, a tourist visa was fine for the purpose I was showing my passport for (to obtain a 1-year driver's licence). But the officials in Bangkok didn't know how to read it. Perhaps Thailand should start issuing bilingual visas, like in China and Vietnam. Thais have a horrible comprehension of the English language so I don't understand what they're trying to prove by not writing visa details in Thai as well as English. English is not an official language of Thailand.

More users of the visa will speak English than Thai.

• 9 months later...

So, I am thinking of buying a car next year, in July, since I will stay here for a few months then, I want a car, can I buy one with just a tourist visa, 60 or 90 days? I will buy the car cash so I don't care about finance.

At my local immigration they suggested I put it in my GF'S name!! So, I got a good laugh and no help from them. Previously I have always had a WP so no problem, but now, I am here only a few months at the time...

Suggestions?

So, I am thinking of buying a car next year, in July, since I will stay here for a few months then, I want a car, can I buy one with just a tourist visa, 60 or 90 days? I will buy the car cash so I don't care about finance.

At my local immigration they suggested I put it in my GF'S name!! So, I got a good laugh and no help from them. Previously I have always had a WP so no problem, but now, I am here only a few months at the time...

Suggestions?

Yes, go to immigration and get a residence certificate.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not entirely certain which area 2 of the cars were registered - The dealer registered them on my behalf (I'm assuming DLT near Chatuchak).

Another car I registered myself at the DLT near Sukhumvit 101 (Tourist Visa + Affirmation of Address from Embassy).

4th Car is still on red plates but will also be registered in my name. I will be on a tourist visa.

Hello,

So we can register alone if the dealer is making problems ?

What document do we need from dealer ?

Thank you so much.

Hello,

So we can register alone if the dealer is making problems ?

What document do we need from dealer ?

Thank you so much.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure (and I just registered a car a few weeks ago).

At the DLT I booked a Registration Plate / number myself - I had a document from my dealer (in Thai which I guess states I've purchased a car, I'm not sure if its entirely necessary at that stage.

After selecting my Number Plate the DLT game me a receipt / confirmation of the Plate Number which I took to the dealer.

The dealer needed a copy of my Affirmation of Residence (from my Embassy), a copy of my Passport (and Visa page)...

The dealer took care of the rest and called me about 10 days later to tell me the plate and blue book was ready.

• Like 1