Getting From Arcade Bus Station To Airport?

telstrareg

Can anyone suggest a good method and approximate cost? Tuk tuk, taxi, songtaew all good for me. I'm guessing that at the station there will be loads of tuk tuk and taxi drivers who want to gouge a fixed price. Perhaps there is something nearby on the main road that is better?

Metered taxi should be no problem, either within arcade or 30m away on ring road. I'd not use a tuk tuk as they usually go via city (shorter but slower) whereas taxi will take ring road and be at CNX within ~ 10 mins, and dare I suggest, 200 baht.

Through town on a tuk tuk should still be fast enough. You could walk to the main road and then a passing songthaew could be a bit cheaper. He'd still want 100 or 150 baht or so though.

True but not to many empty songthaew's on the road and you run the risk of getting one that might have two or three other stops first.

If money is not the problem I would take a tuck tuck or taxi. Maybe Taxi as it can have air con.

• Like 1

It's typically tuk-tuks/songthaews within the bus station, innit? I wouldn't mess with walking to the ring road as you'll get nowhere and will sweat buckets. A 'meter' taxi for that distance would be 150, but, as above, tuk-tuk may do 120 ish. If he starts quoting 200, smile and say 'phom yuu Chiang Mai'. Alternative, call the airport taxi number beforehand and have em pick you up (with quote)--053 201307.

Through town on a tuk tuk should still be fast enough. You could walk to the main road and then a passing songthaew could be a bit cheaper. He'd still want 100 or 150 baht or so though.

True but not to many empty songthaew's on the road and you run the risk of getting one that might have two or three other stops first.

If you get a Songtheaw agree a price to go alone, not pick up anyone else.

If you get a Songtheaw agree a price to go alone, not pick up anyone else.

I was actually picked up one day by a Songtheaw that had a couple in it who had done just that. I think what the deal is on them is they take you to your place first no matter how convenient it would be for them to make another drop on the way.

start walking towards McCormick, get on a red for 20, tell them Chiangmai Gate, then get on a yellow that runs the fixed route along hand dong rd, get off at Central for 10 thb, then walk the 1 km to the terminal, or pay another 20 for red.

• Like 1

LOL, yes.. I was about to suggest something similar, but then thought "naaaahhh.. who does that".. ;)

Still like the suggestion though, it shows how you can often get somewhere cheaper by cutting up the trip, instead of trying to get a songthaew to go all the way across town.

What a bunch of cheap charlies. You are discussing the difference of about 100 baht. Even at 300 baht it's still a good deal from the bus station to the airport. If you can't afford what amounts to about $7 then you have no business in a foreign country.

depends on how much time one has. Get to CNX two hours early, and you will wish you stopped at the mall for a while. With the savings, you could stop and get a good massage or a nice meal, maybe an hour of 10 thb internet. I'll let you wealthy guys go in all the bars and spring the traps for us; meanwhile, I'm watching my THB.

Airport tip: there is a shop, opposite the ticket counters, that sells pre-packaged salads for about 25 THB....brought in fresh daily. Unfortunately, dressing (which is gross mayonaise in thailand) is 15 thb, so I do one dry.

You are in a country, where they will chase you down the street for 5 THB, and carpooling means five on a motorbike. A little walking is great exercise, and some extra thb.....Never been on a yellow, when there wasn't some young hotties, ready to try a little English. Apparently there is a beautiful girl factory down there in the San Pa Tong vicinity.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

depends on how much time one has. Get to CNX two hours early, and you will wish you stopped at the mall for a while. With the savings, you could stop and get a good massage or a nice meal, maybe an hour of 10 thb internet. I'll let you wealthy guys go in all the bars and spring the traps for us; meanwhile, I'm watching my THB.

Airport tip: there is a shop, opposite the ticket counters, that sells pre-packaged salads for about 25 THB....brought in fresh daily. Unfortunately, dressing (which is gross mayonaise in thailand) is 15 thb, so I do one dry.

Ah, but I have a tip for that dilemma. Bring a little zip-lock baggie to a noodle restaurant that has one of those glass carousel thingies with vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, chilli powder and if you're very lucky some crushed peanuts too. Just spoon some of that into your ziplock baggie in the right ratios (just a dash of the chili, or leave that one out), then mix with the 25 Baht salad later. If it's a busy restaurant they won't even notice you doing this so no need to actually order food. Do get some of the free ice and water, but then either change your mind about ordering, or order something that you know they don't have and move on.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1