Tesco To Pull Out Of The Usa - Thailand To Follow?

easyas

If Tesco pulled out of Pattaya it would be no loss ,empty shelves ,no western food for months now(this in a town with a large western population) also often out of Thai products we used to spend about 10k a month now about 1k if this is the future for them here in Thailand ,best of luck ,oh their fruit and veg is crap as well.

I agree about the fruit and veg. The 'fresh' stuff is probably sprayed out os hours to make it look fresh, as it is in the UK. The potatoes are often as soft as sponges. They will never beat our local market fro fresh meat, veg. and fruit.

I know that 7/11 is in a different market but it's Thai run and they usually manage to keep their stock up and do so without effectively closing down several aisles.

Potatoes soft and spongy! there are literally dozens and dozens of potato varieties,but only one is grown /or can be grown in Thailand.

Edited by MAJIC

Don't go too hard on Tesco for pulling out of the US. Walmart had a several decades jump on them as did several other retailers. There is also brand loyalty, in that people decide they are happy with one store and stick with it. It's hard to pull their business away.

Also, Walmart is famous for cutting costs, both in negotiating with suppliers, and with employment costs.

Contrary to what another poster said, Walmart is the world's 3rd largest corporation, the world's largest retailer, and the world's largest private employer with more than 2 million employees, and more than 8,500 stores worldwide. Link

With Walmart's buying power and low prices, and market saturation, and with its huge stores with big variety, I'm surprised that Tesco even tried.

Edited by NeverSure

At the last count Tesco had worldwide almost 4,000 Superstores,so closing down a few hundred wouldn't dent the profits in a big way.Think about it,do they ever do the consumers any favours?

And my pet hate is : they have a policy in the UK, every major roundabout approaching cities (from various angles) and on the outskirts of Major towns and roundabouts,should have a Tesco.And when they move in they suck the towns small businesses dry,and long standing family businesses pull down the shutters.

Stuff em! I will not lose any sleep and I couldn't care less if they went bankrupt, and closed down the lot....................Worldwide.

Footnote: Reading about the Tesco Fortune, and the heiress to the company,who's father was Jack Cohen the Founder of the first Tesco Store in the East End of London (who started out by selling fruit and veg,as a barrow boy) does not exactly endear any Loyalties to the Tesco Clan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Porter

There are 4 OVERSEAS markets Tesco will not pull out of. DEFINITLY

1. Thailand - Tesco entered Thailand in 1998 and operates through 380 stores as part of a joint venture with Charoen Pokphand and named the operation "Tesco Lotus". This partnership was dissolved in 2003 when Charoen Pokphand sold its shares to Tesco. Tesco Lotus sells a diverse range of products from value food products to electronics to personal finance services. The company is keen to promote its green values and has partnered with the UNEP. Tesco Lotus claims to serve 20 million customers every month and that 97% of its goods are sourced from Thailand.

2. South Korea - Tesco launched its South Korean operations as "Home plus" in 1999 and partnered with Samsung, currently Tesco holds 94% of the shares in the venture.[89] It operates both hypermarkets and its express format as well as a home delivery shopping service. It is the second largest retailer in South Korea, just behind Shinsegae Group.[89]

3.Poland - Tesco entered the Polish market in 1995. It currently operates from 334 stores.[67] Tesco Poland offers the value, healthy living and own branded line of products as well as regional produce, petrol, personal finance services and on-line photo processing. In August 2008 Tesco opened the first Extra store in Poland located in Częstochowa. Currently there are five Tesco Extra stores in Poland.

4.Czech Republic - Tesco opened its first store in the Czech Republic in 1996 and now has over 84 stores, with further planned.[67] Tesco opened its first stores in the Czech Republic by buying US corporation Kmart's operations in the country and converting them into Tesco stores. Tesco is also keen to expand non-food items and has already opened petrol stations and offers personal finance services in the Czech Republic.[68] There are currently three Tesco Extra stores in the Czech Republic – one in Prague and Brno, two in Plzeň.

Only The United Kingdom (Tescos home country) can out do this overseas ventures with 2,975 Tescos has more supermarkets than anyone else and is currently the UK's number one supermarket chain with an enormous online retail arm, which is widely recognised as the UK most successful online shop.

A Tesco's store just opened near me, they have saturated the market in the UK and their profits in the UK are dropping. The profits they are making now are from overseas stores and making most money on the hardware part of the business, computers tv's etc.

Well that was there plan 10 years ago when I worked for them, and no I didn't stack shelves.

A Tesco's store just opened near me, they have saturated the market in the UK and their profits in the UK are dropping. The profits they are making now are from overseas stores and making most money on the hardware part of the business, computers tv's etc.

Well that was there plan 10 years ago when I worked for them, and no I didn't stack shelves.

What did you do for Tescos then ?

The US is a very difficult market to break into, Sainsbury's tried some years ago, they also pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Marks & Spencer too.

Tesco won't leave. They have a stranglehold on the market.

Besides where could I go and waste an hour wandering the aisles. I can only stalk Homepro so often. wink.png

Underwear model. I read on the internet he had the right dimensions....................... giggle.gif

Sorry I use a forum because it's anymous and people make up all kinds of crap to make themselves look good, wealthy or intelligent. Lets just say I cleaned the toilets and be done.

• Like 1

If Tesco pulled out of Pattaya it would be no loss ,empty shelves ,no western food for months now(this in a town with a large western population) also often out of Thai products we used to spend about 10k a month now about 1k if this is the future for them here in Thailand ,best of luck ,oh their fruit and veg is crap as well.

Let's hope they don't pull out of Thailand as that would leave us with only one Supermarket , and when I see what they have on offer now than I can't see it improve if they had a complete monopoly.

Disagree, we have Big C Extra, Makro, Foodland and Friendship, not to mention Villa Market, Tops and the Food Hall in Central, if Tesco went I don't think I'd even notice.

• Like 2

Underwear model. I read on the internet he had the right dimensions....................... giggle.gif

Actually I did do modelling when I was younger, I modelled size 16 shoes for people with one leg shorter than the other. Didn't get much work though sad.png

I agree about the fruit and veg. The 'fresh' stuff is probably sprayed out os hours to make it look fresh, as it is in the UK. The potatoes are often as soft as sponges. They will never beat our local market fro fresh meat, veg. and fruit.

I know that 7/11 is in a different market but it's Thai run and they usually manage to keep their stock up and do so without effectively closing down several aisles.

Potatoes soft and spongy! there are literally dozens and dozens of potato varieties,but only one is grown /or can be grown in Thailand.

I don't know whether they sell only home grown potatoes or imported ones too. What I do know is that some days there are none and on others they may be small or large, taste OK or taste poor, are hard or, more often, soft. I suspect that they buy stock near the end of its shelf life cheap, whatever the source.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The US is a very difficult market to break into, Sainsbury's tried some years ago, they also pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I only recall being in one Free and Easy. Although I was aware of it's existence, for the longest time I didn't even know what type of store it was. I found it to be fine when I did try it but it was essentially like a Ghost Town in that there were no other customers and just a lone cashier.

You should do some research, Thailand is the most profitable area of the entire Tesco business, pull out, funny!

I was thinking the same thing.

Why would Tesco ever leave Thailand?

Maybe, they'll get kicked out Carlsberg style.

You should do some research, Thailand is the most profitable area of the entire Tesco business, pull out, funny!

More likely that they'd do a Pizza Hut/Pizza Factory deal.

More likely that they'd do a Pizza Hut/Pizza Factory deal.

Or, Pepsi - Est, undeal.

well... another new tescos express just popped up down the road from us so it does look like they have any plans to leave imminantly....

have to say... the big tescos are knowhere near as full as they used to be a few years back...

i think the 'hi-sole' locals now have their credits cards full to the hilt...

Edited by kristophon

well... another new tescos express just popped up down the road from us so it does look like they have any plans to leave imminantly....

have to say... the big tescos are knowhere near as full as they used to be a few years back...

i think the 'hi-sole' locals now have their credits cards full to the hilt...

i ment 'doesn`t'...

My amphur town has two Tesco Express stores, and there is a rumor a full Tesco Store is going in, but I think the second Thai financial crises will happen by then, so the full Tesco store probably won't happen anytime soon.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wish Tesco would move out and Asda (Wallmart) would move in. Always the price champions in Britain. Having seen how many Wallmart stores there are in China i wonder why they are not in Thailand. Could be something to do with refusal to play the' money under the table' game i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisra app

America is the graveyard of Business

Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/business/18excerpt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

foreign-owned companies in the United States have a work force of more than 5.3 million, or some 3.5 percent of all workers, and are spread across the 50 states in sectors from manufacturing to retail and publishing. If these jobs did not exist, the nation’s unemployment rate would be above 13 percent.

Thankyou Tesco Lotus

My G/f purchased some land just of the main street in her town in December and Tesco Lotus has just bought the land opposite my G/Fs property and has been offered a price more than 300% the price she paid for the land.

I just hope they stock Mainland Tasty Cheese and Margarine.