Retirement Or Spouse Visa

I know all the technical requirements for both of the visa.

Absolutely no problem for me to fulfil any of them.

Is there anybody who can give advise which one to choose and the reason why?

f.e. Is it more easy to bring the container with household into Thailand as a retiree or as a returning Thai wife (with husband)? Practical things like that!

Thanks ahead

I'm not going to try to give comprehensive guidance, but I will throw out a few thoughts.

1. Employment - Should you later decide that you want to pursue a business venture, or get a job here, the spouse-type Class O entry permit allows you to apply for a work permit, and can be extended for employment. You cannot use the Retirement Class O entry permit to get a work permit.

2. Application Process - To extend the spousal Class O entry permit, your wife must accompany you to immigration, and you must have a Thai marriage registration certificate. If either of these requirements cannot be met, you cannot extened a spousal Class O entry permit.

3. Funds - Extending the spousal permit requires 200,000 baht in Thai joints bank account (reportedly rising soon to 400,000 baht). Obtaining the retirement permit requires 800,000 baht in Thai personal account (or combination of lump sum and documented monthly annuity).

4. Speed - The Class O retirement extension can be obtained on same day as application, and can be applied for immediately upon entry. The spousal class O extension takes about 10 weeks to come back, (with automatic 30 day extensions along the way) and can only be applied for when your initial entry permit is within 30 days of expiration.

Perhaps other can add additional considerations.

Concerning the import allowance, I think there is no difference between the two. I imported household goods in 2000, against a Class O spousal entry permit. I used the services of a logistics company called Translink, that had a relocation department, to handle the process. They were absolutely outstanding. See http://www.translink.co.th/ My contact here was a lady named Suwanna Piyawatasilp - but this was May 2000, so I would not necessarily expect her to remain there. I would definitely recommend using an experienced company to serve as go-between - and be prepared to pay an "informal" fee to grease the customs machine.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Thanks Steve,

Logistic address noted.

All the technical issues about requirements is known to me and as I said,no problem to fulfil either of them.

Point 4 can be a good point. Do you mean that I am without a passport,while waiting for extension (spouse visa) for about 10 weeks?

This can be important having my family in Holland and possibilities of cases of emergency!

These are the decisive points that I am looking for!

Do you mean that I am without a passport,while waiting for extension (spouse visa) for about 10 weeks?

you will have your passport with an under review extension that will say:

"application for extension of stay is under consideration of the police dept applicant must contact the temporary permit section in person on "

that expiration date will be about 4 to 6 weeks from your application and you can come in a few days before or on that date for your final one year extension.

This can be important having my family in Holland and possibilities of cases of emergency!

If travel done during review you must obtain a re entry permit and be back on the date required by the extension. Believe spouse visa can also be issued immediately if you have 800k in the bank account on date of application.

On Friday, 13 February,we took US client and his Thai wife to submit his extension application. He had a bit over 400,000 baht in joint account. They gave him stamp to return in 40 days to pick up approved extension.

We have not looked into whether processing is immediate, if you have larger amount in bank. I suppose its possible.

Indo-Siam

These are really extensions of your stay rather than "one year visas" but each allow 365 days from your date of entry until you need to renew them. No exit required but if you want to travel you need to obtain a re entry permit first to keep your extension valid.

you must have a Thai marriage registration certificate

Steve,

Others on this forum say this is NOT a requirement. Could you please elaborate on why you think it IS a requirement?

The info you provide on this forum seems really solid, so I'm really wondering about the requirement and/or advantages of registering my US performed marriage here in Thailand. Thanks.

Thai embassy in Jakarta not want a Thai translation.

They seemed a liitle bit offended ;"we can read english in Thailand "

The English(official) translation of my Dutch marry certificate and the certification of that document by Dutch embassy would do.To please me they also put their certification on the translated wedding certificate.

Than I got a copy of the registration( in 5 languages) at the town hall and have that certified by the Dutch embassy.They were looking at me if water was burning.

Others on this forum say this is NOT a requirement. Could you please elaborate on why you think it IS a requirement?

Am sure Steve will answer when he reads but believe he was talking about it being a legal marriage (many done in Thailand are never registered and thus not legal); rather than it must be a marriage performed in Thailand. It just has to be a marriage recognized as legal by Thailand.