Noisy

CGW

Having bought a new puter just a few days ago following a rec received here - thanks, everything fine, but - goodness it's noisy, fan must move enough air to turn off air con!

Are there any "quiet' fans out there?

Cheers

Having bought a new puter just a few days ago following a rec received here - thanks, everything fine, but - goodness it's noisy, fan must move enough air to turn off air con!

Cheers

If the fan is noisy already then it's faulty.

I have a notebook - which run much hotter than desktops - and the fan is hardly audible.

Cheers

If it's the CPU fan, then nice cheap fix, one I use myself, is to get a 40 or 60mm (depending on size needed) to 80mm adapter (Pantip miscellany shops sell these, 4th floor) and then use the adapter w/ an 80mm fan, which is slower and hence a lot quieter but moves as much air.

These adapters, which usually come w/ screws, look about like this:

post-14882-1142581774_thumb.jpg

Stock CPU fans (especially AMD ones) can be *very* loud. If you don't mind the expense, get a better heatsink with a quieter fan.

Case fans have quiet versions, but they're more expensive. Another place to buy quiet fans is www.jedicool.com.

I've personally never had any luck with the big-to-small fan adapters. They create too much turbulence and thus greatly decrease the efficicency.

Another way is to decrease the voltage from 12v to 7v or 5v, using a different lead. This decreases the RPM and sound, but also decreases the air flow.

Chinatown has lot of stores that sell used fans for cheap... many are made in Japan, and so will work forever without a glitch.

I opened the computer up, powered down first!

There are Two fans, one is directly on CPU? - I think.

The "bothersome" one was attached to the side panel, so moved this to the back, its a lot quieter, but could be quieter, be ok until I can get something else.

I tried it without putting side cover back on - wouldn't fire up?

Initially thought I'd screwed up!

Anyway with side panel in place - all ok, must be some sort of "microswitch" to shut puter down if you try working on it live! Which surprised me.

Cheers

I tried it without putting side cover back on - wouldn't fire up?

Initially thought I'd screwed up!

Anyway with side panel in place - all ok, must be some sort of "microswitch" to shut puter down if you try working on it live! Which surprised me.

Cheers

That's due to a "chassis intrusion connector" enabled on your box. It can be a switch like here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...meb.htm#1057076 or more commonly a 4-1 pin on the motherboard. It's normally disabled by default. and you should find some infos about it in your motherboeard User guide.