Sunglasses (What Do You Wear/why/cost)

Newguy70

Well I am curious as to what others are wearing for eye protection under their helmet's. Prior to my most recent purchase I was wearing Oakley's, however due to lack of customer service, and a number of other issues with purchasing and maintenance etc. ,I have switched.

I recently purchased a pair of Proview sunglasses for 850 baht in Siam Paragon, not even remotely close to the cost of my prior Oakley sunglasses. While they are not as fashionable in any way, they do the job. I've had them for one month and am quite happy. They are keeping the sun out of my eyes, the frames are not too heavy on my ears for long rides, nor do they interfere with my HJC, and Nexus helmets. No case was provided, just a simple pouch and no warranty card, although they said one year guarantee ( good luck with that).

I am no way affiliated with Oakley, Pro view or any other sunglass retailer here in Thailand.

You only get one set of eyes....

Edited by Newguy70

I tend to always use Ray Bans & have had some Oakley's but Ray Bans

always last longer & seem better quality. Not cheap but last pretty much forever

or until your tired of that style etc.

although these days I use none on the bike as I have a dark shield on the AGV K4 now

Do your wear them perched on the top of your head when you go out at night? To a bar or club?

That's so last century, all the cool kids wear them on the back of their head

• Like 1

I only wear Costa Del Mar shades with glass lenses (I like the Wavekillers as they cover a large surface area)- they are more fragile than plastic lenses if you drop them (though they are more scratch-resistant) but they block 580nm of harmful light (unlike the plastic Oakley lenses, which only block 400nm).

• Like 1

I have never hear of these "Costa Del Mars" , I will have to take a look around. Do you mind if I asked where in Thailand you purchased them, for how much ( any warranty and do they have replaceable lenses?

Edited by Newguy70

Do your wear them perched on the top of your head when you go out at night? To a bar or club?

Well we are talking about eye protection while driving. Do you have anything to contribute, or are you just trolling around? >_>

I have never hear of these "Costa Del Mars" , I will have to take a look around. Do you mind if I asked where in Thailand you purchased them, for how much ( any warranty and do they have replaceable lenses?

If I need a pair in Thailand I get them off eBay- they are warrantied and lenses are replaceable (my nephew dropped a pair of mine and shattered a lens and it was no big deal to have it replaced- of course that wasn't covered under warranty, though)- they're not user-replaceable, however.

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses

Doesnt matter what brand the glasses are as long as they have GENUINE full uva and uvb protection. Anything less will damage your eyes over the longer term and in the short term cause sore eyes and redness. I have lost track of the number of fellow sailors over the years who have permanent eye damage from wearing crap sunglasses while out on the water.

I personally wait till I am in my home country to buy sunglasses but if I was to buy in LOS then it would be from a larger reputable optician.

• Like 2

All plastic block UV,

i buy mine at talat nat, found a design that completely block wind & dirt for around 120 baht,

i use yellow as i lose a bit of distance accuracy with darker,

i replace if they get a scratch as i want perfect view

Edited by poanoi

I use my internal tinted helmet visor. Any glasses get uncomfortable under a helmet after a few hours (if it fits properly) and they slip down your face on bumpy roads, catch sweat, difficult to put on, hurt behind the ears etc. Plus if I need to take them off I need to stop the bike, put them away etc.

An internal visor is by far the best option in my opinion. Nothing touching my face or ears and if it gets dark while riding I can slide it back up into the main portion of the helmet while moving at the touch of a button (and vice versa). I wouldn't buy another helmet without this feature in LOS.

I had this option in my HJC, but has since needed replacing. My carbon Nexus doesn't have this feature thus the sunglasses. Plus, I prefer a clear visor over tinted that way I can use my helmet at any hour without the need of swapping out the visors.

I use my internal tinted helmet visor. Any glasses get uncomfortable under a helmet after a few hours (if it fits properly) and they slip down your face on bumpy roads, catch sweat, difficult to put on, hurt behind the ears etc. Plus if I need to take them off I need to stop the bike, put them away etc.

An internal visor is by far the best option in my opinion. Nothing touching my face or ears and if it gets dark while riding I can slide it back up into the main portion of the helmet while moving at the touch of a button (and vice versa). I wouldn't buy another helmet without this feature in LOS.

I had this option in my HJC, but has since needed replacing. My carbon Nexus doesn't have this feature thus the sunglasses. Plus, I prefer a clear visor over tinted that way I can use my helmet at any hour without the need of swapping out the visors.

That's what I have, it's also a HJC. A normal clear external visor with a tinted internal visor. The internal tinted visor retracts into the helmet when you press the button on the top of the helmet, leaving a normal clear visor for night time riding or when you see a police checkpoint approaching.

I agree a tinted external visor is no good (I have this on a cheap Real helmet I bought). It's too dark at night and I've been fined fleeced by the BIB for wearing it as well.

Have you watched the movie 'End of Watch'? One of the cops wore them upside down on the back of their head. I've never seen anyone do that in real life.

Have you watched the movie 'End of Watch'? One of the cops wore them upside down on the back of their head. I've never seen anyone do that in real life.

I see quite a few guys wearing it like that

I fish often offshore here in Hawaii. Lots of glare, tons of sun. I like Costa Del Mars, or Maui Jim. The Costa Del Mars go for about 5000 baht, the Maui Jim's are about 4200 baht. Worth every baht. Not for everyone due to price, but If you have ever had sun burned retina you will agree that a good pair of sunglasses is a good thing to have. I have also had excellent customer service from Maui Jim on several occasions.

Maui Jim are excellent sunglasses

• Like 1

I wear Raybans and I get them at Amazon for around $90 or so which is far cheaper than I can get them here in Thailand. I have a strong preference for the cable temples because they don't allow the sunglasses to easily fall off. The Aviator style Raybans I find do not have cable temples so I now buy the "Outdoorsman" style which is almost the same as the Aviators except they have a reinforcement cross piece at the top.

Here is a picture of the Pro View sunglasses that I am currently using. I believe they are manufactured somewhere in Asia, and probably could be purchased for far less than what I paid for them. Currently they are serving the purpose when I am on my motorbikes. They have a yellow print pair for night driving as well.

I checked out the Raybans while perusing the mall and it seemed that all of the frames that the various shops had on display would be quite cumbersome when wearing a motorcycle helmet.

post-69968-13665166487534_thumb.jpg