Waiters Waiting At Your Table For Your Tip/change

testaccio

I was just wondering about this. Do they only do this to foreigners? Or is it commong in Thailand. From my experience it doesn't have to do with the quality of the restaurant and sometimes it doesn't happen.

It's not that I have anything against it, although it was uncomfortable in the beginning.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends where you live but in most places - except Pattaya - they wait on Thai and foreigners.

If a waiter / waitress waits at your table (or works several tables in a given area) for a few hours and gives good service, what is wrong with giving a tip? The tip does not have to be a large one. 20 baht often suffices.

Obviously it is easier for a Thai to let the staff understand what sort of service they do or do not want and maybe they are left alone at their request.

• Like 2

You have to admit some have some (they think unique ways) of getting tips.

I have seen them postpone giving change, if the change will be a worth while tip

Some forget to bring the change and if asked, say 'I thought it was tip'

Some will ask if change is a tip

Some will just ask for a tip

Some will ask for a drink for themselves, from your change, made for food/drink

At school start up times, they tell how their kid need new shoes/uniform, etc

Then there are those who will short change to top up earnings

those who ask of the tip left "is this for me" so they bypass tip box/share

I just take all things, the service, meal/drinks into account, and do what I feel is fair for the situation.

• Like 1

You guys totally misinterpreted this thread.

Not really .. just that a few of the longer term members ... men who have been here many years have seen this question asked time and time again.

Since you are a newbie ... and BTW ... welcome to the Forum welcomeani.gif ... you won't know that.

To tip ... or not to tip ... that is the question.

Tipping is seen by many here as bad because it's an Americian custom which has been introduced to Thailand and is now so ingrained ... it is almost expected ... rather then given.

Some Thai's Tip ... some do not.

Some Westerners tip ... some do not.

As they say in the Classics ... up to you ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It is a bit aggravating to go into a restaurant and be handed a menu with over 200 items on it and have the waiter standing there waiting for you to order. They do it to everybody, both Thai and Farang. I just ask them to give me some time to look at the menu and will call them back over when I'm ready to order. Works fine for me with no problems. Hasn't anything to do with tips so I don't know how the thread got of on that tangent so fast!

Aye but the title of the thread is to do with tips and change?

I'm confused..........OP, start again eh? What are you actually asking? ermm.gif

One of many reasons why many waiters are waiting at the table, is because sometimes they get a "tip in hand" in addition to what is in the general tip.

You know what I mean by a "tip in hand" ?

From my experience the process of giving change back seems pretty much the same whether your foreign or Thai, and depends on how the place you're in does it.

Hanging around for a tip or not is then pretty much the same whether foreign or not. It's generally waiting to collect back the black wallet, plate, silver tray or whatever that the change was given to you on.

That said: Given tipping in western countries often has a longer tradition than in Thailand, for some staff there are higher expectations of a tip from foreigners, as foreigners often tip when Thais wouldn't. So there may be a bit of extra waiting around on a foreigner depending on the particular waiter/waitress.

Of course in some tourist areas, beer bars etc, where the goal is to simply extract as much money as possible, then Thais will hang around more and even directly ask for tips, which would be pretty rude otherwise in most places.

So most normal places you're not being targeted and treated much differently by Thais, but there may be a bit more of an expectation by some.

Cheers

Fletch:)

Oh, and welcome BTW.

Edited by fletchsmile

Well I for one have no idea what the OP topic even is.

I ask for the bill, give them money, they bring me change, then I leave some money in the tray or on the table depending on the kind of place how good the service was etc.

If there's ever anyone "hanging around" I can't say I've noticed, and doubt it would be specifically for the tip.

One thing I have noticed (and complied with) about Thai manners in this area you should never ask for the bill and then stick around, it's a clear signal that you are on your way out the door and they should clear everything off the table.

People who order everything that they want all at once and ask for the bill while they're still eating or even just hanging about for a post-prandial chat will certainly confuse the *@ out of the Thais, and I could see this leading to confusion.

But maybe I just don't understand the question?

• Like 1

Not really .. just that a few of the longer term members ... men who have been here many years have seen this question asked time and time again.

Since you are a newbie ... and BTW ... welcome to the Forum welcomeani.gif ... you won't know that.

Tipping is seen by many here as bad because it's an Americian custom which has been introduced to Thailand and is now so ingrained ... it is almost expected ... rather then given.

Good God. blink.png

One of many reasons why many waiters are waiting at the table, is because sometimes they get a "tip in hand" in addition to what is in the general tip.

You know what I mean by a "tip in hand" ?

A tip that goes into the waiters pocket?

Also, thanks to those who actually answered the question. wai2.gif

I think the OP is specifically annoyed at the waiters hovering around the table?

I agree with harrry, it's sufficient to leave your tip in the wallet / or plate then walk out. If he or she was standing with their hand out that would be off putting, but I can't think of ever seeing that.

Well I for one have no idea what the OP topic even is.

I ask for the bill, give them money, they bring me change, then I leave some money in the tray or on the table depending on the kind of place how good the service was etc.

If there's ever anyone "hanging around" I can't say I've noticed, and doubt it would be specifically for the tip.

One thing I have noticed (and complied with) about Thai manners in this area you should never ask for the bill and then stick around, it's a clear signal that you are on your way out the door and they should clear everything off the table.

People who order everything that they want all at once and ask for the bill while they're still eating or even just hanging about for a post-prandial chat will certainly confuse the *@ out of the Thais, and I could see this leading to confusion.

But maybe I just don't understand the question?

Seems like you understood it afterall! Thanks.

I think the OP is specifically annoyed at the waiters hovering around the table?

I agree with harrry, it's sufficient to leave your tip in the wallet / or plate then walk out. If he or she was standing with their hand out that would be off putting, but I can't think of ever seeing that.

It's not that it's annoying, I just wasn't used to it. It happened wherever I went. Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai etc.

I doubt that it is an American custom, because we in Austria give tips so I guess it is an European custom that the Americans who came from Europe copied.

(Please don't tell me, that it is not common in Australia, because it would make all my nice logic arguments sound silly....)

I doubt that it is an American custom, because we in Austria give tips so I guess it is an European custom that the Americans who came from Europe copied.

(Please don't tell me, that it is not common in Australia, because it would make all my nice logic arguments sound silly....)

Austrians give tip?

blink.png

On bills where there is a 10% service charge; that is the tip. A friend who was a manager at a wine bar on Asoke recently told me Thai labour laws maintain that a minimum of 20% of the monthly service charge must go to the staff. Some businesses may choose to give more and some, no doubt, will try to get away with giving nothing. If you leave a tip on top of the service charge; you're a mug. It's not the customers fault that tight wad bosses don't pass on the service charge to their employees. Getting around all the nonsense associated with tipping is simple; pay with plastic. Then it's up to you how much you leave in the tray.

You have to admit some have some (they think unique ways) of getting tips.

I have seen them postpone giving change, if the change will be a worth while tip

Some forget to bring the change and if asked, say 'I thought it was tip'

Some will ask if change is a tip

Some will just ask for a tip

Some will ask for a drink for themselves, from your change, made for food/drink

At school start up times, they tell how their kid need new shoes/uniform, etc

Then there are those who will short change to top up earnings

those who ask of the tip left "is this for me" so they bypass tip box/share

I just take all things, the service, meal/drinks into account, and do what I feel is fair for the situation.

Wow. I have never ever had any of what you mention happen to me. I'm curious where is this happening to you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is a bit aggravating to go into a restaurant and be handed a menu with over 200 items on it and have the waiter standing there waiting for you to order. They do it to everybody, both Thai and Farang. I just ask them to give me some time to look at the menu and will call them back over when I'm ready to order. Works fine for me with no problems. Hasn't anything to do with tips so I don't know how the thread got of on that tangent so fast!

They are used to doing that because Asians (including Thais) are consensus builders/collectivists and as such have learned from birth and later in life require assistance with nearly everything they do. Have to ask the waitress a thousand questions about Som Tam they've been eating their entire lives... It's cute to see them do it but highly annoying for thinking Westerners who can handle making the choice between Som Tam and Phad Thai alone.wai.gif

• Like 1