Waiters Waiting At Your Table For Your Tip/change

testaccio

I have had them standing a metre away, for a good 30 minutes just waiting for the glass to empty or something or other.

1 metre is in my face, I like a private dinner with a girl, not a girl and a waiter close enough to reach into my pocket himself.

At one particular place I had 3 sniffing around, I will tip but a little distance is nice.

Let's be realistic, it has nothing to do with service or being polite, they are on the prowl like Hyenas.

I often tell them to move away a bit, don't stand so close, worse are the flower people who try to make you look bad If you don't by A rotten rose picked up from the florists trash can.

Worse still are the Indians peddling peanuts with their unwashed hands that have wiped their ass, they come to your table and need a minimum of 20 "no sorry I don't want any peanuts" before they even start thinking about moving, finally you have to abuse them to get them on their way.

I saw a guy in Bangkok with an I am not an ATM shirt on, Classic, I want one.

If your not my wife or children, keep your hand in your pockets, I'm not feeding the vultures, do me right however as far as service is concerned and I will throw you a bone, Thats service mind you not begging like behaviour.

Seems it only happens to selective few.

Never had a problem with waiters , nor flower sellers or anyone else for that matter.

Waiters hang around to take away dirty dishes or take more orders, especially if the restaurants is not busy.

Flower sellers go away if you ignore them or say no. How they make you feel guilty is beyond me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had them standing a metre away, for a good 30 minutes just waiting for the glass to empty or something or other.

1 metre is in my face, I like a private dinner with a girl, not a girl and a waiter close enough to reach into my pocket himself.

At one particular place I had 3 sniffing around, I will tip but a little distance is nice.

Let's be realistic, it has nothing to do with service or being polite, they are on the prowl like Hyenas.

I often tell them to move away a bit, don't stand so close, worse are the flower people who try to make you look bad If you don't by A rotten rose picked up from the florists trash can.

Worse still are the Indians peddling peanuts with their unwashed hands that have wiped their ass, they come to your table and need a minimum of 20 "no sorry I don't want any peanuts" before they even start thinking about moving, finally you have to abuse them to get them on their way.

If your not my wife or children, keep your hand in your pockets, I'm not feeding the vultures, do me right however as far as service is concerned and I will throw you a bone, Thats service mind you not begging like behaviour.

So do we look generous or cheap (they want to force something out of us because they think we won't tip)?

smile.png

So do we look generous or cheap (they want to force something out of us because they think we won't tip)?

:)

I do not know, ask them

Never had a problem with waiters , nor flower sellers or anyone else for that matter.

Waiters hang around to take away dirty dishes or take more orders, especially if the restaurants is not busy.

Flower sellers go away if you ignore them or say no. How they make you feel guilty is beyond me.

by insinuating your not a good man for not buying flowers, simple, the guilt trip.

by insinuating your not a good man for not buying flowers, simple, the guilt trip.

Man you are easily offended, are not you?!

If i felt bad for not buying some crap everyone was selling, i think i would be suicidal already

What about eating and a beggar comes up to you. I've noticed that many friends feel pressurized to give something and guilty if they don't, even after I tell them that the beggar is a drunk or they are well off beggars. I tell them to go away and remember my face and not annoy me again. But if they want to quit drinking I'll give them more than money.

The strange thing is that my friends would never give the equivalent beggar in their own country money.

Edited by Neeranam

I always get the missus to pay....

She tips what she wants and if I enjoyed the meal and service then I will suggest a tad more...

Generally, its between 10-20 THB and if the meal and service is lousy.... nadda!

And you go home, sooo happy you saved 7 maybe 8 cents.

Yes, you really are............ThhMan.

How did I save any money? We pay EXTRA if we appreciate the meal/service

My wife takes care of the tips... do you have an issue with reading or comprehension? crazy.gif

I always get the missus to pay....

She tips what she wants and if I enjoyed the meal and service then I will suggest a tad more...

Generally, its between 10-20 THB and if the meal and service is lousy.... nadda!

And you go home, sooo happy you saved 7 maybe 8 cents.

Yes, you really are............ThhMan.

How did I save any money? We pay EXTRA if we appreciate the meal/service

My wife takes care of the tips... do you have an issue with reading or comprehension? crazy.gif

If i don't like the food or service I make a point of taking every last baht off the tray and never return. Yes it makes me happy. biggrin.png

• 2 months later...

Never really bothers me I guess. Look at the average wage of a server here and compate it to other jobs or places in the world. Unless the service is brutal I always tip. And I am sure most people would say it's more than one should but seriously 3-5 bucks to help someone out who deals with people with every different attitude is just fine by me.

The ones that get me are the ones in the clubs that always make sure your glass never gets empty! When I go out for a night I only ever have one drink but it sure is a big one!

Well I for one have no idea what the OP topic even is.

I ask for the bill, give them money, they bring me change, then I leave some money in the tray or on the table depending on the kind of place how good the service was etc.

If there's ever anyone "hanging around" I can't say I've noticed, and doubt it would be specifically for the tip.

One thing I have noticed (and complied with) about Thai manners in this area you should never ask for the bill and then stick around, it's a clear signal that you are on your way out the door and they should clear everything off the table.

People who order everything that they want all at once and ask for the bill while they're still eating or even just hanging about for a post-prandial chat will certainly confuse the *@ out of the Thais, and I could see this leading to confusion.

But maybe I just don't understand the question?

Actually the question / subject is boring. Nothing better to do?

A couple of ago I went to pick up my laundry and has the girl demand I give her a tip. She was so rude about it that I ignored her and gave her the agreed money. She shouted "TIP" at me afterwards as if I hadn't understood her.

The price I paid was already around 3 times more than I've ever paid for laundry in Thailand and there wasn't even that much in there.

Bad manners.

Thai's like me just fine and I've got many Thai friends. I don't know of any Thais which have a problem with me actually.

One rude Thai girl demanded a tip....that's not something I caused to happen. She was just cheeky.

What bad experiences are you talking about?

Thais don't seem to like you do they ?

I have lived in Thailand full time since 1990, and have never had the bad experiences you post about.

Have to agree with Banzai, TheSpade.

You were born unlucky having to experience countrywide communication problems and bad service on such a regular basis.

Thais don't seem to like you do they ?

I have lived in Thailand full time since 1990, and have never had the bad experiences you post about.

Have to agree with Banzai, TheSpade.

You were born unlucky having to experience countrywide communication problems and bad service on such a regular basis.

Even the Thai people I've spoken to about the bad service say it happens all the time. Pretty much anyone who has ever been here knows that the service is sub par in a lot of places.

That's not even up for debate.