Waiters Waiting At Your Table For Your Tip/change

testaccio

You have to admit some have some (they think unique ways) of getting tips.

I have seen them postpone giving change, if the change will be a worth while tip

Some forget to bring the change and if asked, say 'I thought it was tip'

Some will ask if change is a tip

Some will just ask for a tip

Some will ask for a drink for themselves, from your change, made for food/drink

At school start up times, they tell how their kid need new shoes/uniform, etc

Then there are those who will short change to top up earnings

those who ask of the tip left "is this for me" so they bypass tip box/share

I just take all things, the service, meal/drinks into account, and do what I feel is fair for the situation.

I think ensuring it bypasses the tip box is a possible. Some restaurants separate the service from the money, ie the person bringing the tab, returning with the change and hanging about to see it a tip is forthcoming is different than the one who took care of you. I like to think the tip is going into a tip-box and equally shared, but I bet not.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to one of those Thai BBQ places a while ago. Hate the places cos the 129 baht per person seems to blow out for xtras and the hygeine practices and quality of the food is extremly questionable and somebody will plonk the pig instines right onto the piece of steak or rat, or whatever it is or hoping it is or isn't , you are cooking . However i went with my BIL , SIL their kids, our kids plus a few others who just seemed to plonk themselves at our table beccause falung would pay. I was told later "cousins".... yeah anyway !!!! everybody stuffed them selves and we tipped the Heinkan girl and the Singha girl and the Chang girl , all of whom knew how to flash that cute smile even tho we drank only a few Leos..

Anyway we left to go to the car. I knew somebody was in quick pursuit cos i could hear the shuffling gait on the gravel of the car park. as i reached my BIL's pick-up he pushed past me and as my BIL unlocked the door he opened the door for me so i managed to squeeze around him and get into the pickup's passenger seat. Straight away i had this hand stuck in my face . I looked at the face and thought does he think this falung is so suboo he can't open a car door byhimself and now he is demanding money. I went to close the door hoping he would retract his hand before it was severed but he held the door open with his other hand . For a skinny old prick he still had some strength and he was giving me a blast. Some of the words i knew and some i could only guess but combined with the words i knew i just had to sumise they were not polite. Anyway my BIL had to rush around and give him 20 baht for assisting me with the opening of the car door , and to possibly escape all the others door openers coming over to assist in getting paid for the door opening service .

Made me realise how pleasent and subtle the beer girls were in getting their tips

It sounds like you have already established yourself as a guy who throws his money away or doesn't know the value of it. I would never pay a meal for someone else's kids.

Do you also take them all shopping at Big C, letting the kids throw what they want in?

Did you pick up the bill for everyone?

It seems you allowed the kids to sit down - what you allow, you condone.

Now, the car-park attendant has probably seen all these others taking advantage of you so wants some himself. I wonder how much the bill was. Being ripped off for 2000 baht by your own 'family' then begrudging an old car park attendant(who makes 50+% of his salary on tips) 20 baht seems a bit strange.

• Like 1

You guys totally misinterpreted this thread.

Not really .. just that a few of the longer term members ... men who have been here many years have seen this question asked time and time again.

Since you are a newbie ... and BTW ... welcome to the Forum welcomeani.gif ... you won't know that.

To tip ... or not to tip ... that is the question.

Tipping is seen by many here as bad because it's an Americian custom which has been introduced to Thailand and is now so ingrained ... it is almost expected ... rather then given.

Some Thai's Tip ... some do not.

Some Westerners tip ... some do not.

As they say in the Classics ... up to you ... rolleyes.gif

I doubt that it is an American custom, because we in Austria give tips so I guess it is an European custom that the Americans who came from Europe copied.

(Please don't tell me, that it is not common in Australia, because it would make all my nice logic arguments sound silly....)

As an aussie I leave a tip if the food is good and the service is good, if either are bad they get nothing. Same here but the tips are proportionate, in Australia I would usually leave a minimum of $5 but here 20 baht or all the coins. The thing I ignore are the ones that wait at the tables for your order as soon as you open the menu, really bugs me and I just do not look up from the menu till I am ready to order.

Not really .. just that a few of the longer term members ... men who have been here many years have seen this question asked time and time again.

Since you are a newbie ... and BTW ... welcome to the Forum welcomeani.gif ... you won't know that.

Tipping is seen by many here as bad because it's an Americian custom which has been introduced to Thailand and is now so ingrained ... it is almost expected ... rather then given.

I doubt that it is an American custom, because we in Austria give tips so I guess it is an European custom that the Americans who came from Europe copied.

(Please don't tell me, that it is not common in Australia, because it would make all my nice logic arguments sound silly....)

As an aussie I leave a tip if the food is good and the service is good, if either are bad they get nothing. Same here but the tips are proportionate, in Australia I would usually leave a minimum of $5 but here 20 baht or all the coins. The thing I ignore are the ones that wait at the tables for your order as soon as you open the menu, really bugs me and I just do not look up from the menu till I am ready to order.

I tell them to go away and come back. Rather childish, and rude to ignore them.

Edited by Neeranam

I have seen them postpone giving change, if the change will be a worth while tip

I just take all things, the service, meal/drinks into account, and do what I feel is fair for the situation.

I think ensuring it bypasses the tip box is a possible. Some restaurants separate the service from the money, ie the person bringing the tab, returning with the change and hanging about to see it a tip is forthcoming is different than the one who took care of you. I like to think the tip is going into a tip-box and equally shared, but I bet not.

I don't like when tips are shared amongst the other workers. It means that a few hard working, service-minded people have to share with the lazy ones. If the others are waiters as well, they could work for their own tip. The only one that perhaps should get some part of it, is the cook, as he/ she does not get in touch with the customers. Though, a better option would be a tipping box at the door specifically for the cook.

To answer the question of the OP. I can't recall any situation where the waiter was waiting for a tip, but I don't live in a touristy area. Well, actually I do, but 99% are Thai tourists. So, that might answer the question if they do the same with Thais.

However, I do have to say that I usually skip the expensive restaurants, maybe it's more common practise in these places.

Tipping is a boring subject.. This forum, however, offers, entertaining aspects. What a
funny idea, that it was invented in America. Of course, the U.S.A. contributed a
lot to cultural affairs all over the world, e.g., er er er, I am sure they did.
Tipping, however has been around long before a lot of tea was wasted in the
Boston harbour. In German, it is called “Trinkgeld” (drinking money) and it has
been a custom for hundreds of years. Russians and Chinese know Tea Mony, Turks Bathing Money. In a letter from 1509, when delivering an altar, the famous painter Albrecht Dürer
asked the customer for a tip for his assistants and his wife. (How rude? Thanks
Wikipedia) Legend has it that in England the tip had to be dropped in a box at
the door before ordering any food. When the tip was too small chances were that
you would not be served at all..

Actually, America did add some value to this custom: Tips are taxable income. The Fair
Labor Standards Act defines a tipped employee as anyone receiving more than $20
per month (not all states) in tips. Waiters, on average, fail to report 40% of
their tips according to the IRS. Can you believe it?

In Thailand, a strict percentage is not necessary in general, though, big hotels
and restaurants will add 10% service and VAT, anyway. Below THB 100 it may be 10%, but at THB 1000 only 5% what seems to be acceptable.

BTW, I don’t read out loud the Baht notes, I don’t mark them, and I don’t take photographs of the paying ceremony. I just don’t go to places like that.

I would like to add that in 10 years I have not experienced any of the
strange behaviour that some of you have witnessed. Is it the places you go? Is
it your looks, your clothes, your smell? What is it, that could encourages your Thai
waitors to behave like that? There, I am at a loss.

• Like 1

it your looks, your clothes, your smell? What is it, that could encourages your Thai

CapeCobra, on 22 Apr 2013 - 18:33, said:

BTW, I don’t read out loud the Baht notes, I don’t mark them, and I don’t take photographs of the paying ceremony. I just don’t go to places like that.

Me too, I wonder if they look in a mirror they see GUM written on their forehead? Only joking smile.png

I don't like when tips are shared amongst the other workers. It means that a few hard working, service-minded people have to share with the lazy ones. If the others are waiters as well, they could work for their own tip. The only one that perhaps should get some part of it, is the cook, as he/ she does not get in touch with the customers. Though, a better option would be a tipping box at the door specifically for the cook.

To answer the question of the OP. I can't recall any situation where the waiter was waiting for a tip, but I don't live in a touristy area. Well, actually I do, but 99% are Thai tourists. So, that might answer the question if they do the same with Thais.

However, I do have to say that I usually skip the expensive restaurants, maybe it's more common practise in these places.

I agree, but we won't soon change the sharing thing. It's a very Thai cultural thing. They share everything, for better or worse. Sometimes I admire it; sometimes I detest it. Usually depends on whether I've had any recently.

• Like 1

Who said giving a tip is wrong? I just want to learn Thai customs.

Not only did you not say that it's wrong, you even took the time to make it clear that you weren't complaining. But you didn't count on the highly evolved noses of the TV whine hounds. They can detect the merest shade of an excuse for a perception of a hint of a complaint, from about the distance that a polar bear can smell a stinking herd of seals. My sympathies go out. The bitter truth, apart from the Second Law of Thermodynamics, is that for some people, your best efforts will never. be. enough.

Edited by aboctok

I wish they'd hover.

A couple of weeks ago at Sizzler we had to wait ages for the waitress to bring the bill.

Anyway, I have solved the tipping predicament, and because I love so many of you, I'm going to share it.

Get a Thai to pay the bill and to decide upon the tip. The waiter won't give attitude to a Thai.

Whenever I dine out, I give my portion of the bill to my friend and he/she pays. Or if I am with the mistress of the domain, she takes charge.

This did backfire a while back in Bangkok. I told my friend to take care of the tip to the bellboy at the hotel and the bugger gave 100 baht.

<deleted> did you do that for I asked? The reply was, you try carrying bags around all day and see if you'd appreciate a 10B tip. Ouch. sad.png

I wish they'd hover.

A couple of weeks ago at Sizzler we had to wait ages for the waitress to bring the bill.

Anyway, I have solved the tipping predicament, and because I love so many of you, I'm going to share it.

Get a Thai to pay the bill and to decide upon the tip. The waiter won't give attitude to a Thai.

Whenever I dine out, I give my portion of the bill to my friend and he/she pays. Or if I am with the mistress of the domain, she takes charge.

This did backfire a while back in Bangkok. I told my friend to take care of the tip to the bellboy at the hotel and the bugger gave 100 baht.

<deleted> did you do that for I asked? The reply was, you try carrying bags around all day and see if you'd appreciate a 10B tip. Ouch. sad.png

I found 20 baht tip is sufficient enough for most things. Watching my staff, they seem contempt with 20 baht also.

The only time i encountered attitude towards" small tip" was in the bars, but my solution is "if they give attitude or the looks or comments about the 20 baht tip, i happily take that 20 baht, and tell them since they do not want it, i am happy to keep it"

They wait for several reasons, securing the tip is probably not actually top of the list. Firstly they wait to allow you to verify that the change you have been given is correct - I've seen a few disputes where the customer doesn't check the change immediately they receive the folder from the waiter/waitress (in their presence) and then 10 minutes later tries to argue that they're 100 baht short, it invariably lapses into a messy face losing dispute for the customer. Conversely I've actually been both short changed and been given too much change on a number of occasions, the staff have been at my shoulder and I've never had a problem getting it corrected. My wife tells me that also in regard to this point, the waiter is responsible to the cashier for any discrepancy in the change, thus their desire to ensure no dispute or possibility of a dispute arises.

Thank you Gsxrnz, for the clear, concise and amusing reply to the original question. It is amazing to me how many replies had difficulty understanding the question.

Secondly, they want to clear your bin (along with any tip) and not have to come back to your table again as presumably if you've check-binned, you no longer require their services. Until the change has been verified as being correct and the folder returned to the cashier, your bin is still technically open.

Personally, I always show the waiter the note/s I am paying with and state the amount of the note. eg. if paying a 450 baht bin with a 1,000 note, I always make sure the waiter knows that I know that I gave him a 1,000 baht note. That way they know they can't give you change for a 500 note and expect to get away with it. This is particularly good advice if you've got a few beers under your belt and look a bit gullible - and/or you're in a gogo or other similar venue. Also, be reasonably (but not overly) generous tipping. 20-50 baht at a restaurant is OK for a couple. And if you go as a foursome or sixsome and combine the bin, don't be a cheap-Charlie and leave one 20 baht tip. Leaving no tip is better than leaving an offensive tip.

My wife had great pleasure once in leaving 70 baht as a tip in the folder but then told the waitress that she asked for no pepper in one dish but got pepper, (removed 20 baht), told her that she asked for another dish to be sour but it was sweet, (removed another 20 baht), and that there were too many mosquitos and why didn't the restaurant have more low fans to keep them away (removes another 20 baht). Just as the waitresses mouth drops, wife puts the 60 baht back in the folder and says she doesn't really care about the mosquitos, but next time she would like the dishes as she ordered them. Been back several times and we're instantly recognised, get good service, dishes as they're ordered......downside is I'm now committed to a 70 baht tip every time, and I just have to hope they aren't spitting in the food!!

Great reply! Concise and amusing. I am amazed by the number of replys that did not address the question. Edited by Traveling Sailor

I wish they'd hover.

When out with the g/f., I pay the bill and I never tip. I let her do it and she generally leaves 20 Baht. If we have had good service she leaves 40 Baht but that is the maximum.

And sometimes she gives it to me to pop down the cleavage of the lady w00t.gif

Thai's tip and so do i, not much twenty baht usually.

One new years eve me and an ex went to a nice restaurant and were looked after by this young waitress. You could see she wanted to be out enjoying herself but took good care of us, so with there not being many customers I tipped 200 baht due to the new year.

Her face lit up and couldn't thank me enough, then looked over to the ex, bulldog chewing a wasp, arguement all the way home as I must have had a thing for the waitress.

Happy ffing new year, men can't do anything right.

• Like 1

It is a bit aggravating to go into a restaurant and be handed a menu with over 200 items on it and have the waiter standing there waiting for you to order. They do it to everybody, both Thai and Farang. I just ask them to give me some time to look at the menu and will call them back over when I'm ready to order. Works fine for me with no problems. Hasn't anything to do with tips so I don't know how the thread got of on that tangent so fast!

This has nothing to do with Thailand - try walking into ANY KFC McDonald's Subway etc (anywhere on the planet) and within 1 nanosecond they ask you repeatedly what you want (insisting you stop looking up above their heads - as if that is weird to them) and as if YOU are the one not "switched-on" as to what is taking place!!

f they had ANY brains they would have a better job.

Maybe it's because those places are fast food restaurants whistling.gif

Fast once you order, not "Im too stupid to realsie you have not yet decided what to order (within a nanosecond of wakling in the door)". Obviously I mean when there is no queue or you'd have already looked at the menu board while waiting.

Edited by fire and ice

It depends where you live but in most places - except Pattaya - they wait on Thai and foreigners.

If a waiter / waitress waits at your table (or works several tables in a given area) for a few hours and gives good service, what is wrong with giving a tip? The tip does not have to be a large one. 20 baht often suffices.

Obviously it is easier for a Thai to let the staff understand what sort of service they do or do not want and maybe they are left alone at their request.

Tip is not something Thais do out of tradition. It is purely brought to Thailand by foreigners.

If there is a service charge then I will not tip. I mean, they are in the service industry and then want to charge extra for that service?

I'm not in the habit of paying the staff wages on behalf of the owner.

I was in an MK restaurant in Bangkok once when the girl brought us our change, put it on the table, kept hold of it for a second then did an about turn and took it away before we could take the money. Needless to say she was called back and definitely did not get a tip. Cheeky cow.

I remember one bar in Phuket where we got served 4 warm beers, my girlfriend had to ask for ice which I hate using in beer, but in this case it was a must. Anyway at the end the service girl had the audacity to almost demand a tip, I laughed at her and said "OK here's a tip, Don't serve warm beer".

• Like 1

It's not common in Australia.

I have had them standing a metre away, for a good 30 minutes just waiting for the glass to empty or something or other.

1 metre is in my face, I like a private dinner with a girl, not a girl and a waiter close enough to reach into my pocket himself.

At one particular place I had 3 sniffing around, I will tip but a little distance is nice.

Let's be realistic, it has nothing to do with service or being polite, they are on the prowl like Hyenas.

I often tell them to move away a bit, don't stand so close, worse are the flower people who try to make you look bad If you don't by A rotten rose picked up from the florists trash can.

Worse still are the Indians peddling peanuts with their unwashed hands that have wiped their ass, they come to your table and need a minimum of 20 "no sorry I don't want any peanuts" before they even start thinking about moving, finally you have to abuse them to get them on their way.

I saw a guy in Bangkok with an I am not an ATM shirt on, Classic, I want one.

If your not my wife or children, keep your hand in your pockets, I'm not feeding the vultures, do me right however as far as service is concerned and I will throw you a bone, Thats service mind you not begging like behaviour.