" I Have Money, I Can Eat Today "

theblether

I've met more than a few people like that, blether. There is an old lady who looks to be in her eighties who survives on very little. She goes through my hotel's garbage every day looking for something saleable. Plastic bottles seem to be the most attractive so I always save my water bottles just for her. She has to compete with all the other people who check my hotel's garbage. Occasionally I will give her a 100 baht and I always receive a smile. I don't give to beggers, but this lady never begs. She picks some greenery off a local tree that she cooks with her rice. That is about all she eats. Her little hovel is tucked in behind other buildings and it obviously leaks in a rain. During a rain I can always find her huddled under the covered outdoor seating at our hotel.

I've seen similar situations when I go for motorbike rides into the country and pass through small Thai villages. I think that women have children for the soul purpose that one of their offspring will look after them in their old age. Those who don't have children are left without to beg for whatever they can find.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to a Thai Wat for their service you will be amazed at all the food that is brought in. Literally mounds of the stuff from rice, to fruit, to fish, to pork. I cannot but wonder where does it all go, considering that this scene is repeated throughout Thailand every week, and there is a limit to how much the monks can eat for their two meals a day

my missus takes food to one of the wats in chiang mai once a month,to feed her family who are not here deceased,she always spends about 1000bht.

I see locals, poor ones I assume, go into the bush nearby and come out with all sorts of greens and fruits like coconuts, bananas, papayas and unidentifiable ones. The weather is warm and sunny so there seems to be free food all year round. I asked my maid once, and she cooked an omelette using some of the greens she collected. It was yummy!

So I tend to think what the OP heard was a figure of speech, which is not to say there are no hungry folks out there.

Edited by doggie888888

I see locals, poor ones I assume, go into the bush nearby and come out with all sorts of greens and fruits like coconuts, bananas, papayas and unidentifiable ones. The weather is warm and sunny so there seems to be free food all year round. I asked my maid once, and she cooked an omelette using some of the greens she collected. It was yummy!

So I tend to think what the OP heard was a figure of speech, which is not to say there are no hungry folks out there.

Gathering food from the wilds (including other peoples gardens and hedges) is a common Thai pastime.

It's not about being poor, it's about eating fresh vegetables.

Thailand is a heaven of cheap food. Cheap even by international standards, not simply western.

It doesnt mean people dont go hungry.

People have very low paying jobs (its part of the reason food prices are so low)

People trap themselves in debt.

People trap people in debt

1 in 6 children in the US lives in poverty and is uncertsin.where their next meal will come from.

Sorry, you simply cannot walk off the side of the road in most provinces and kill yourself a pig, grab a bunch of fruit and nab a few handfulls of greens. If the land is not owned, it is controlled by locals. Sbeeeesh.

Thailand is increasingly very urban and with that comes all the other nonsense we see in our homes countries.

Thailand has two very distinct populations, urban and rural.

The world crossed a threshold recently, now more people live in cities than on the land. Tjis will only increase as will associated urban issues.

If you go to a Thai Wat for their service you will be amazed at all the food that is brought in. Literally mounds of the stuff from rice, to fruit, to fish, to pork. I cannot but wonder where does it all go, considering that this scene is repeated throughout Thailand every week, and there is a limit to how much the monks can eat for their two meals a day

my missus takes food to one of the wats in chiang mai once a month,to feed her family who are not here deceased,she always spends about 1000bht.

Mine insists on taking some European food for my deceased parents as she is sure they will apreciate a change from Lab.

I think poverty is a growing problem for many thais. It has had a very successful policy of population reduction by reducing birth rates so that what was about 70 million in 1975 is only about 60 million now. This results in smaller fammilies and less children to contribute to the suport of the elderly. I think the expression I have money I can eat today is valid for many Thais.

• Like 1

Interesting you mention population growth Wolf5370......I believe the Thai population was around the 15 million mark in the 40's, and now it's well over 60 million. A four fold population growth in 60 odd years is staggering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

On the other hand this is one country that is capable of turning out vast amounts of food of all types, so the population growth was likely sustainable to this level.

Anyway, I know a young man who's had to take on a part time job as his mother is dead, and his father is a chronic alcoholic. It's fallen upon him to earn the rent money. This young fella was showing signs of being emaciated. I pointed it out to one of his family members who then relayed the message up the line to Yai, who hardly ever saw him since the death of his Mum.

Yai ordered the family to attend to him, he was at risk of falling between the cracks but no more. He still has the burden of earning to keep a roof over his head ( at 17 <deleted> ) but hunger is no longer an issue.

Yes, the danger here is that building (mostly empty) in areas famed for being the rice bowl of Thailand is seeing paddy fields being replaced by low cost apartments and shop houses that few buy. You can only burn that candle at both ends so long. Paddy is also being over exploited with 2 or 3 or even 4 harvests a year where historically only one took place - that's got to do damage to the soil nutrient levels. Although with the baht so strong, they will be able to export less so, I guess there will be a lot that never used to remain, left for consumption here instead.

Don't know if it is me, but there seems to be so many pregnant women about these days here in Thailand (CM) - my daughter commented on it, as I look around nearly every 20-40 year old woman either has a young baby or a lump! Maybe its just the season????

Can't say I've noticed but last year in Scotland I couldn't believe all the pregnant women down the shopping centre, most of them with a fag in their mouth.

Almost all gay men with no skills or education end up in the p4p scene at some level - somewhere but especially in Pattaya. Farang = jackpot.

There are tons of gay men and women living in BKK.

They all escape, just like they escape the small towns throughout the world.

My wife works with loads of gays, she often refers to some ladyboy as "she". If he is not especially attractive, Im prone to calling him sir, katoey kwai or it (if he is a real trainwreck). Just for fun...usually gets a big eyeroll.

Edited by bangkokburning

Interesting you mention population growth Wolf5370......I believe the Thai population was around the 15 million mark in the 40's, and now it's well over 60 million. A four fold population growth in 60 odd years is staggering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

On the other hand this is one country that is capable of turning out vast amounts of food of all types, so the population growth was likely sustainable to this level.

Anyway, I know a young man who's had to take on a part time job as his mother is dead, and his father is a chronic alcoholic. It's fallen upon him to earn the rent money. This young fella was showing signs of being emaciated. I pointed it out to one of his family members who then relayed the message up the line to Yai, who hardly ever saw him since the death of his Mum.

Yai ordered the family to attend to him, he was at risk of falling between the cracks but no more. He still has the burden of earning to keep a roof over his head ( at 17 <deleted> ) but hunger is no longer an issue.

Yes, the danger here is that building (mostly empty) in areas famed for being the rice bowl of Thailand is seeing paddy fields being replaced by low cost apartments and shop houses that few buy. You can only burn that candle at both ends so long. Paddy is also being over exploited with 2 or 3 or even 4 harvests a year where historically only one took place - that's got to do damage to the soil nutrient levels. Although with the baht so strong, they will be able to export less so, I guess there will be a lot that never used to remain, left for consumption here instead.

Don't know if it is me, but there seems to be so many pregnant women about these days here in Thailand (CM) - my daughter commented on it, as I look around nearly every 20-40 year old woman either has a young baby or a lump! Maybe its just the season????

Can't say I've noticed but last year in Scotland I couldn't believe all the pregnant women down the shopping centre, most of them with a fag in their mouth.

Should've gone to Asda's.

(WalMart as it is now)

I was charmed by the polite, cheerful and helpful checkout lady

"D'you have any Fishereman's Friends?"

"WHAT KIND OF A PLACE DO YOU THINK THIS IS? Go down to the Ship Inn for that sort of malarky"

"No, I meant the sweeties"

"Oh, they'll be in Pharmaceuticals. Do you want me to send someone over?"

"No thanks, I want to go outside to get the benefit of my gloves. I'll buy some at the airport...."

SC

Why would it be a reminder that you are living in a third world county? The majority of populace in western countries live "paycheck to paycheck" with little or no savings. Paycheck stops, they are in trouble.

Does the OP not recognize this in his own country or origin?

• Like 2

Why would it be a reminder that you are living in a third world county? The majority of populace in western countries live "paycheck to paycheck" with little or no savings. Paycheck stops, they are in trouble.

We're more sophisticated, because our days are a month long.

Also because we rashly assume that next month we will earn what we earnt last month.

I was slightly disenchanted with the Western economy when I realised that I was being asked to take responsibility for my future 40 years hence when my government was working on a four year cycle and my company did not have plans that far ahead...

SC

• Like 2

I think poverty is a growing problem for many thais. It has had a very successful policy of population reduction by reducing birth rates so that what was about 70 million in 1975 is only about 60 million now. This results in smaller fammilies and less children to contribute to the suport of the elderly. I think the expression I have money I can eat today is valid for many Thais.

Good post harrry. I agree with you. The division between the wealthy and the poor is growing and some people were never trained to keep up. There are many factors leading to the problem and not the least of which are government officials that off load their responsibilities onto others and yet keep increasing their own salaries.

I am sure everyone has heard the expression "Gin Khao" - eat rice. We all know what it means but in my small little world up in the North East it is said in all honesty. We do have neighbors who may go without (a lot of food) for a while and may be hungry. Not starving but hungry. anks,

Our call of 'gin khao" is an honest invitation to people walking by that there is always extra for anyone who wants something.

Now the family all know who is doing what, when and why. They know who may not have a lot to eat to day and it always seems they are offered an "invitation" to join us for dinner in the evening.

In the west it was food banks, up here it is family and neighbors who help each other out. But I have never heard anyone say they were hungry or as you heard "i have money, now I can eat today".

The topic is Thailand related, open another thread if you want to discuss hunger in your own country. smile.png

I am sure everyone has heard the expression "Gin Khao" - eat rice. We all know what it means but in my small little world up in the North East it is said in all honesty. We do have neighbors who may go without (a lot of food) for a while and may be hungry. Not starving but hungry. anks,

Our call of 'gin khao" is an honest invitation to people walking by that there is always extra for anyone who wants something.

Now the family all know who is doing what, when and why. They know who may not have a lot to eat to day and it always seems they are offered an "invitation" to join us for dinner in the evening.

In the west it was food banks, up here it is family and neighbors who help each other out. But I have never heard anyone say they were hungry or as you heard "i have money, now I can eat today".

I must be bloody deaf. Sounds like Kin Cow to me. Gins what Tonic goes in.w00t.gif

" I Have Money, I Can Eat Today "

A Thai lady said that to me recently......it unsettled me. Was it a

figure of speech?, or a literal reminder that we are still in a Third

World country?

It is neither of those. She wanted you to feel bad for her and hopefully give her money, by insinuating that most days she can not afford food. If she is able bodied she is full of it and just trying to guilt you in to a handout. Thailand has a massive labor shortage and any Thai sound of body can easily get a job that will fullfill their basic needs. Thais in tourist areas are often full of it and deliberately mislead foreigners. If it was an 80 year old women or a crippled person in rural Isaan it is different and they might need some help, otherwise best to ignore this person in the future.

I appreciate your sentiment DP25 but that wasn't the context in which it was said to me.

Then what was the context. Unless she is an old woman, a cripple, or a child of drug addicts or something she is likely full of it.

I appreciate your sentiment DP25 but that wasn't the context in which it was said to me.

Then what was the context. Unless she is an old woman, a cripple, or a child of drug addicts or something she is likely full of it.

There was no attempt to obtain money from me. It was a line during a conversation that stuck in my mind. I do have a finely attuned bs antenna, I can spot someone trying to graft me from a mile off.

There was no attempt to obtain money from me. It was a line during a conversation that stuck in my mind. I do have a finely attuned bs antenna, I can spot someone trying to graft me from a mile off.

Sounds like she's just throwing out lines and seeing what she catches. Some guys will hear a comment like that and offer help.

Sounds like she's just throwing out lines and seeing what she catches. Some guys will hear a comment like that and offer help.

Up to them.....didn't work on me.

I do share your general opinion that there is plenty of work in Thailand, however I have noticed emaciation in some people. Hence the question.

it all go to the local families that are serving at that temple.

I've never seen a starving Thai so I'm inclined to believe that it was a figure of speech.

I have. The rural farm folk eat bamboo shoot soup when times are hard.

There is still malnutrition in Thailand. Do you realize that approx. 6.9% of Thai kids under the age of 5 are malnourished? This isn't just because of the diet, but is in large part due to poverty. Extreme poverty is still a serious problem in Thailand.

Yes, very much so. Get out into the poor-fertility areas in the second or third year of drought conditions and you will see many many people - mostly elderly and young kids of course - that are obviously suffering from malnutrition just by looking at them, much less actually wrapping your fingers around their stick-thin limbs. Government statistics grossly understate the problem for obvious reasons.

it all go to the local families that are serving at that temple.

No, many people that have to spend their days looking after the family cow or when it's work season in the fields go to the wat simply to be fed without having to do any work in exchange.

However those that do have more free time will do some work in the temple so as not to appear as much a freeloader.

Don't forget face is more important than life itself a lot of the time here.