" I Have Money, I Can Eat Today "

theblether

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People still do live on a day to day basis,no government financial support...unless you are an OAP and then I think they can receive 500 baht per month.

Many of the old folk are financially dependent on their family,it must be hard for the old folk that do not have any family that can help....or in some cases have family but they don't help!!!

I've been there and done that in my teens. A long story from long ago, but I can certainly sympathise with that feeling mentioned in the OP's post.

Here, in Thailand, I knew a family consisting of a mother and two small children deserted by her alcoholic husband and father of the children. She lived beneath a house of one family in the village. She worked at odd jobs when she could. Strove to feed her family and relied on the charity of others. Not a pleasant life in the rainy season, especially.

• Like 1

If you go to a Thai Wat for their service you will be amazed at all the food that is brought in. Literally mounds of the stuff from rice, to fruit, to fish, to pork. I cannot but wonder where does it all go, considering that this scene is repeated throughout Thailand every week, and there is a limit to how much the monks can eat for their two meals a day

I've never seen a starving Thai so I'm inclined to believe that it was a figure of speech.

Nice comment..

Traditionally, Thais always has enough food, a 100 Kg of rice, fruit, vegetables from the garden, chickens and pork, as well as grass hoppers, frogs, rats etc.. They still have the mentality connected to this way of living: this is not Europe where if you didn't get your dried and preserved veg and meat in before the winter, as well as firewood, you died.

Not a paradise on earth but you can sleep under a tree and get enough to eat, no long term planning here as you may have noticed...

If you go to a Thai Wat for their service you will be amazed at all the food that is brought in. Literally mounds of the stuff from rice, to fruit, to fish, to pork. I cannot but wonder where does it all go, considering that this scene is repeated throughout Thailand every week, and there is a limit to how much the monks can eat for their two meals a day

Actually, there are different orders of monks in Thailand and their interpretation of the monastic code can vary quite a bit.

As far as the 'mounds of food' which occur in many temples in large cities, if you wait a while you will see people come and ask for what is unused or uneaten. This can be from the college student to the single mother with newborn to those who are shunned by society. Leftover used food is often given to the soi dogs. In more isolated areas you would be surprised at what monks do receive for food, often very little rice and if lucky something other than pepper sauce i.e a fish or two, a piece of Thai bread, etc.

What you see is on the surface and beneath that is a whole nother set of things. I am sure you know that already but felt the need to type it considering the odd posts coming from a few on Thai visa.

Edit: sorry for the derail blether

Edited by hookedondhamma
  • Like 1

Some goes to people who don't have money for food today.

If you are hungry, go to a temple and they will feed you.

No discrimination against hungry foreigners either.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

People still do live on a day to day basis,no government financial support...unless you are an OAP and then I think they can receive 500 baht per month.

Many of the old folk are financially dependent on their family,it must be hard for the old folk that do not have any family that can help....or in some cases have family but they don't help!!!

This is usually where the temples come in. They wander around, serve the monks their meal at 11 - then after lunch they eat what is left - I don't mean scraps, there are whole meals untouched as they are handed in each day by the faithful. This is how it was in the west once, and how it remains here until a real social welfare net is built.

This is not Africa, even the poorest of all the Thais will get their daily bowl of rice. From neighbours or temples.

That Thai lady OP met was probably used to eat western food.....

Edited by balo

Interesting you mention population growth Wolf5370......I believe the Thai population was around the 15 million mark in the 40's, and now it's well over 60 million. A four fold population growth in 60 odd years is staggering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

On the other hand this is one country that is capable of turning out vast amounts of food of all types, so the population growth was likely sustainable to this level.

Anyway, I know a young man who's had to take on a part time job as his mother is dead, and his father is a chronic alcoholic. It's fallen upon him to earn the rent money. This young fella was showing signs of being emaciated. I pointed it out to one of his family members who then relayed the message up the line to Yai, who hardly ever saw him since the death of his Mum.

Yai ordered the family to attend to him, he was at risk of falling between the cracks but no more. He still has the burden of earning to keep a roof over his head ( at 17 <deleted> ) but hunger is no longer an issue.

Similar to the "One day at a time" from the west.

I have food in my belly, and a roof over my head today. I'll worry about tomorrow's problems when they come up.

To some folks it also means "I can drink all I want tomorrow. I just won't take a drink today"

Was she selling something? I have heard a similar remark when a customer offers a very low price for something and the seller doesn't want your business.

"That will be 100 baht please"

"I tell you what i will give you 20 baht for it."

" your alright, do you think i am sitting around here all day waiting for your business so i can eat?"

• Like 1

Interesting you mention population growth Wolf5370......I believe the Thai population was around the 15 million mark in the 40's, and now it's well over 60 million. A four fold population growth in 60 odd years is staggering.

On the other hand this is one country that is capable of turning out vast amounts of food of all types, so the population growth was likely sustainable to this level.

Anyway, I know a young man who's had to take on a part time job as his mother is dead, and his father is a chronic alcoholic. It's fallen upon him to earn the rent money. This young fella was showing signs of being emaciated. I pointed it out to one of his family members who then relayed the message up the line to Yai, who hardly ever saw him since the death of his Mum.

Yai ordered the family to attend to him, he was at risk of falling between the cracks but no more. He still has the burden of earning to keep a roof over his head ( at 17 <deleted> ) but hunger is no longer an issue.

Yes, the danger here is that building (mostly empty) in areas famed for being the rice bowl of Thailand is seeing paddy fields being replaced by low cost apartments and shop houses that few buy. You can only burn that candle at both ends so long. Paddy is also being over exploited with 2 or 3 or even 4 harvests a year where historically only one took place - that's got to do damage to the soil nutrient levels. Although with the baht so strong, they will be able to export less so, I guess there will be a lot that never used to remain, left for consumption here instead.

Don't know if it is me, but there seems to be so many pregnant women about these days here in Thailand (CM) - my daughter commented on it, as I look around nearly every 20-40 year old woman either has a young baby or a lump! Maybe its just the season????

Was she selling something? I have heard a similar remark when a customer offers a very low price for something and the seller doesn't want your business. "That will be 100 baht please" "I tell you what i will give you 20 baht for it." " your alright, do you think i am sitting around here all day waiting for your business so i can eat?"

I'll give you a banana for it :D

Yes, the danger here is that building (mostly empty) in areas famed for being the rice bowl of Thailand is seeing paddy fields being replaced by low cost apartments and shop houses that few buy. You can only burn that candle at both ends so long. Paddy is also being over exploited with 2 or 3 or even 4 harvests a year where historically only one took place - that's got to do damage to the soil nutrient levels. Although with the baht so strong, they will be able to export less so, I guess there will be a lot that never used to remain, left for consumption here instead.

Don't know if it is me, but there seems to be so many pregnant women about these days here in Thailand (CM) - my daughter commented on it, as I look around nearly every 20-40 year old woman either has a young baby or a lump! Maybe its just the season????

It wasn't me!! blink.png

I keep getting the blame for everything around here. coffee1.gif

It wasn't me!! blink.png

I keep getting the blame for everything around here. coffee1.gif

Yeah yeah, that ain't gonna wash with the alimony lawyers!

• Like 1

The food not eaten by the monks is available to anyone who goes to the wat and wants to eat it. Many, many poor people survive by eating at the wat every day.

I was at dinner last night and I asked the Thai people in my company about this issue. Here cometh two answers........

The manageress of the restaurant I was in had dinner with me, she said that most of her staff didn't have enough money for food and they relied upon the meal supplied by the restaurant as being there only guaranteed food of the day. She said the owner allocated a budget for feeding the staff and it was part of her duties to buy in food specifically for them every day. That food was prepared separately, and wasn't on the menu. The owner discovered that if he allowed them access to the menu food they would go on the rampage and order the most expensive items.

Apparently he flipped one night when he ordered steam fish and discovered that half of the days fish order had been eaten by the staff, and the rest by the customers, leaving the place sold out by 8.30pm. So in the words of the manageress, the food allocated is not very good quality but it's the best and only meal her staff will get of a day.

Next one........

I then enquired as to the fate of the young man I mentioned earlier............

" She is in Pattaya "

" You just said she, he is a man "

" She is gay "

" unsure.png "

( that's theblether trying to work out if it's par for the course to refer to gay men as " she " in Thailand and thinking to himself that could be the basis of another topic ).

" She have big problem with Dad, cannot live any more, so go to you Pattaya and can get job easy "

" Okay "

( theblether's mind boggling and sitting there nipping himself saying " say nothing , say nothing " )

.............and so I did, I said nothing. I don't know if the young man is working in a hotel, some other regular job, or working p2p. However it did get me thinking I wonder how many other people are down in Patts fleeing broken homes and hunger.

Stories reported as found, no blether bashing if you don't mind coffee1.gif

I have friends in Thailand that were living almost on rice with fish sauce 15 years ago, somes splitting a couple of chicken legs between the whole family.

It would appear to be the case that some people are still suffering from the same food deprivation.

There is a very old lady that comes and sits on my step most mornings with a basket of various Thai food items, she knows I will buy some food off her, then off she goes. She must be nearly 80, and she can live off this and her thai 500 bht pension.

Every Thai has opportunities to work but choose not to, another old lady on the market says her children won't help her cook because they are too lazy, this old lady makes the nicest food and as soon as she arrives the Thais are like flies round kee. She makes about 1000bht a day.

There is work but many choose not to, same in ever country. If this lady was in Scotland you would tell her to get a job.

Sorry it sounds harsh but up here in Issan everyone works, they have to or they go hungry, people up here who have disabilities are forced to beg at the markets but Thai's realise this and always put money in their cup.

Food and work is plentiful in Thailand, you certainly won't get rich but you can eat if you are able bodied and prepared to work..

• Like 2

I recognize that Scully, it's partly what motivated me to ask the question in the OP. I found the comment to be a little bit odd, but then again it appears that some people are falling between the cracks.

Then again I suppose odd if that wasn't the case too.