Letter From Government School

If this topic has already been started, apologies in advance and if someone could redirect me to that post : )

I am on an Education Visa but I have been offered a teaching position at a Government School, BUT they want to pay me under the table, they will provide me with a contract but nothing else (by the way I do not have a degree only a TEFL Certificate).

I have heard that it would actually be easy for them to assist with me getting a work permit (and then the appropriate visa) IF they either put on the contract that I am a 'consultant' or and 'assistant' to the school and not mention the word teacher.

I know this a tiny loop hole that I am trying to squeeze through but does anyone have an experience of this.

Thanking you.

If they use the word "Teacher" they MUST attach a copy of the University Degree and translated transcripts AND a Police clearance check. They are correct, a consultant or Assistant would be easier...

Unless they just started the police clearance check this year then that is not necessary. Some schools require this but very few do. I know some schools in Phuket do.

• Like 1

If they use the word "Teacher" they MUST attach a copy of the University Degree and translated transcripts AND a Police clearance check. They are correct, a consultant or Assistant would be easier...

That statement is completely untrue. I government school can get you a work permit/visa even if you don't have a degree, by simply telling the local education department that they (the school) need to employ you as they don't have the money with which to employ a qualified teacher. The education department will then allow the school to issue exemption documents which will be accepted by both the labour department and immigration. A person employed as a consultant (I presume educational consultant) will need a lot more paperwork and qualifications than a teacher plus, will need to earn at least 50,000 baht and pay tax at the going rate and not at the reduced rate given to teachers.
  • Like 1

That statement is completely untrue. I government school can get you a work permit/visa even if you don't have a degree, by simply telling the local education department that they (the school) need to employ you as they don't have the money with which to employ a qualified teacher. The education department will then allow the school to issue exemption documents which will be accepted by both the labour department and immigration. A person employed as a consultant (I presume educational consultant) will need a lot more paperwork and qualifications than a teacher plus, will need to earn at least 50,000 baht and pay tax at the going rate and not at the reduced rate given to teachers.

That is incorrect. For teaching at a government school you need a teaching license or a waiver and for that you now definitely need a degree or you will not get a waiver/teaching license. Without that you will not get a WP and no extension of stay from immigration.

It might be that old cases are grandfathered in that they will get a waiver of the teaching license without a degree, I am not sure about that, but I know that for old cases the TOIC test for non-native speakers is not really required.

• Like 1

That is incorrect. For teaching at a government school you need a teaching license or a waiver and for that you now definitely need a degree or you will not get a waiver/teaching license. Without that you will not get a WP and no extension of stay from immigration.

It might be that old cases are grandfathered in that they will get a waiver of the teaching license without a degree, I am not sure about that, but I know that for old cases the TOIC test for non-native speakers is not really required.

Thanks for the advice everyone, although conflicting this exactly what I am reading and hearing first hand.

I am going to go to chuck myself into the lions den and pay a visit to the labour dept. and ask them directly without mentioning the the different scenarios. I think best to say that the school will be employing me as an assistant and what paperwork do I need and would they foresee any potential problems of obtaining the required visa to be able to work here.

Thanks again.