Thai Air Bkk-lax Nonstop A340-500

SBACM

Currently TG operates BKK-LAX direct, non-stop three times per week. This route is operated with TG's long-range A340-500. These are flights TG 794/795. I've not flown this route, nor have I flown the BKK-JFK direct, non-stop route ooperated by TG (operated 4 times per week). I have not heard of any reports of this flight having to divert for refueling. They usually are careful to juggle cargo, fuel and even pax based on estimated wind/weather patterns, in order to insure non-stop operation as this flight is marketed as a time-saver.

TG only have three (3) A340-500's so it would be possible to have an aircraft substitution, 747/777/A340-600, which then might require a fuel stop routing via NRT/KIX/TPE?

You can find some first-hand trip reports at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=503

example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.ph...992&postcount=8

TG used to operate BKK-KIX-LAX daily, then on the days when the direct, non-stop flight was not scheduled, but this flight does not appear in the schedules that I can see. Note that this was marketed as a direct flight, but the stop in KIX was used to pick up/drop off pax.

Some direct, non-stop TG flights (TG 917) ex-LHR are stopping to refuel in CPH due to fuel rationing at LHR due to the depot fire they had there. Not sure if this is still an issue?

Currently TG operates BKK-LAX direct, non-stop three times per week. This route is operated with TG's long-range A340-500. These are flights TG 794/795. I've not flown this route, nor have I flown the BKK-JFK direct, non-stop route ooperated by TG (operated 4 times per week). I have not heard of any reports of this flight having to divert for refueling. They usually are careful to juggle cargo, fuel and even pax based on estimated wind/weather patterns, in order to insure non-stop operation as this flight is marketed as a time-saver.

TG only have three (3) A340-500's so it would be possible to have an aircraft substitution, 747/777/A340-600, which then might require a fuel stop routing via NRT/KIX/TPE?

You can find some first-hand trip reports at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=503

example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.ph...992&postcount=8

TG used to operate BKK-KIX-LAX daily, then on the days when the direct, non-stop flight was not scheduled, but this flight does not appear in the schedules that I can see. Note that this was marketed as a direct flight, but the stop in KIX was used to pick up/drop off pax.

"Some direct, non-stop TG flights (TG 917) ex-LHR are stopping to refuel in CPH due to fuel rationing at LHR due to the depot fire they had there. Not sure if this is still an issue?"

Fuel restrictions on TG 917 were lifted February 6th.

Anybody got any Input?

Ive heard that we have to stop to refuel?

so its really not nonstop if you have to stop? :o

Stopped in Osaka, same plane - got off then got back on.

Well that would be a bummer If thats the case i would have rather flied EVA stop in Taiwan for 2 hours and then back on

where you on the a340-500?

Thanks for reply

Anybody got any Input?

Ive heard that we have to stop to refuel?

so its really not nonstop if you have to stop? :o

Stopped in Osaka, same plane - got off then got back on.

Well that would be a bummer If thats the case i would have rather flied EVA stop in Taiwan for 2 hours and then back on

where you on the a340-500?

Thanks for reply

I am fairly certain he was on the BKK-KIX (Osaka)-LAX flight operated by TG with a 747. The stop in KIX was planned in order to pick-up and drop-off additional passengers (the 747 is not capable of direct, non-stop operation between BKK and LAX). AFAIK TG no longer operates this route, relying on their own direct, non-stop flight three times weekly, and code-shares, for service between BKK and LAX.

Again, I've not read nor heard about the direct, non-stop flights having to divert for fuel. I have some friends who take this flight, or the one from JFK, quite often and they've not mentioned fuel stops either. This flight does save 2 ~ 3 hours over a connecton in NRT.

Thanks Lomatopo, You are very well Informed, It seems as we shouldnt stop especially going west.

The links you gave were also very informative. I am in economy as i have a family of 4 all the reviews were first class so it makes me want to try it some day? very Helpful.

Since I am flying cnx-bkk-lax-Las I wonder if you know If I go through Immigration at Lax or Las vegas as I know that the bags can be checked at cnx to go straight through.

Thanks again for great Info :o

Thanks Lomatopo, You are very well Informed, It seems as we shouldnt stop especially going west.

The links you gave were also very informative. I am in economy as i have a family of 4 all the reviews were first class so it makes me want to try it some day? very Helpful.

Since I am flying cnx-bkk-lax-Las I wonder if you know If I go through Immigration at Lax or Las vegas as I know that the bags can be checked at cnx to go straight through.

You will clear Immigrations at LAX, retrieve any checked bags from the carousel, clear Customs, hand off your checked bags outside of Customs, and then make your way to your departure terminal. I am pretty sure TG arrives/departs at TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal), so you'll probably have to take a bus over to your departure terminal. If flying UA (Ted) then that would be T7. You will have to clear the TSA security check-point at T7. This assumes you have a LAX-LAS boarding card. If not, you'll have to check-in for your domestic flight, then clear security. The security lines at T7 can be very long in the mornings, ~ 30 minutes, so be aware of that.

Edited by lomatopo

about the direct, non-stop flights having to divert for fuel.

"Direct" flights, in airline parlance, mean your flight number doesn't change, but you can expect to make at least one stop enroute -- and an aircraft change might also occur.

"Non-stop" is just that -- the equipment and crew rest criteria say you'll only have one takeoff and one landing -- and this is what should happen 98% of the time. BUT, your advertised 'non-stop' flight might become a 'direct' flight should unusual headwinds, etc. dictate a fuel/crew stop. Fine with me in such a situation -- if the situation is, indeed, out-of-ordinary (ie, the 'non-stop' is the usual rule, and not the exception). But I'm sure some faulty advertising along these lines has occured, just as the airlines haven't gone out of their way to define "direct flights" to the novice traveling public.

about the direct, non-stop flights having to divert for fuel.

"Direct" flights, in airline parlance, mean your flight number doesn't change, but you can expect to make at least one stop enroute -- and an aircraft change might also occur.

"Non-stop" is just that -- the equipment and crew rest criteria say you'll only have one takeoff and one landing -- and this is what should happen 98% of the time. BUT, your advertised 'non-stop' flight might become a 'direct' flight should unusual headwinds, etc. dictate a fuel/crew stop. Fine with me in such a situation -- if the situation is, indeed, out-of-ordinary (ie, the 'non-stop' is the usual rule, and not the exception). But I'm sure some faulty advertising along these lines has occured, just as the airlines haven't gone out of their way to define "direct flights" to the novice traveling public.

I'm with George Carlin on this one--I want any flight I take to have at least one stop! :o

You will clear Immigrations at LAX, retrieve any checked bags from the carousel, clear Customs, hand off your checked bags outside of Customs, and then make your way to your departure terminal. I am pretty sure TG arrives/departs at TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal), so you'll probably have to take a bus over to your departure terminal. If flying UA (Ted) then that would be T7. You will have to clear the TSA security check-point at T7. This assumes you have a LAX-LAS boarding card. If not, you'll have to check-in for your domestic flight, then clear security. The security lines at T7 can be very long in the mornings, ~ 30 minutes, so be aware of that.

Thanks Again,I will be using this as a guide I am realizing that I might not make my connecting I have about 2 hours to accomplish this we arrive at 8:30pm and have to go through Immigration and change terminals . so i will reserve a car and if i miss my coneccting Last flight to LAS i will drive.

Thanks again

Thanks Again,I will be using this as a guide I am realizing that I might not make my connecting I have about 2 hours to accomplish this we arrive at 8:30pm and have to go through Immigration and change terminals . so i will reserve a car and if i miss my coneccting Last flight to LAS i will drive.

Thanks again

Just be careful about not using a flight coupon. If you do not use it make sure you have your travel agent, or an airline representative, note that in the record, otherwise your entire on-ward journey might be cancelled.

Two hours, at this time of day, is very 'doable'. (assumes no problems at Immigration) Getting your LAX-LAS boarding pass in CNX will be a huge plus. Your bags might even make it too. If you do not have your LAX-LAS boarding card consider taking all of your bags with you to the domestic terminal and re-check them there. Familiarize yourself with the layout at LAX, and check arrival/departing gate/terminal information for your flights in the days/weeks leading up to your trip.

What airline are you flying on for LAX-LAS? I'm guessing UA/TED? Are you returning to Thailand on this same itinerary, or does this itinerary end in LAS?

Thanks again

Just be careful about not using a flight coupon. If you do not use it make sure you have your travel agent, or an airline representative, note that in the record, otherwise your entire on-ward journey might be cancelled.

Two hours, at this time of day, is very 'doable'. (assumes no problems at Immigration) Getting your LAX-LAS boarding pass in CNX will be a huge plus. Your bags might even make it too. If you do not have your LAX-LAS boarding card consider taking all of your bags with you to the domestic terminal and re-check them there. Familiarize yourself with the layout at LAX, and check arrival/departing gate/terminal information for your flights in the days/weeks leading up to your trip.

What airline are you flying on for LAX-LAS? I'm guessing UA/TED? Are you returning to Thailand on this same itinerary, or does this itinerary end in LAS?

I have printed out this map which is very helpful:

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_map0.html

I dont understand about the flight coupon? I have tickets for each leg cnx-bkk bkk-lax las-lax

I will Inquire about getting boarding passes at cnx do they normal issue them at place of origin?

We are flying Thai Star alliance ted (United)

how long do you think It would take travel time from after Immigration all the way to Terminal 7-?

We will be buying return from the states we will be there over 6 months

Thanks Again :D

You can also check the on-time performance of TG 794 (flight information on the TG website) to get a feel for the general time this flight arrives (typically early, typically late).

The "missing flight coupon" is not an issue for you are you are ending your itinerary in LAS. Hence dropping that last segment in lieu of a rental car and driving would not be an issue. Dropping a segment in the middle of an itinerary can lead to problems for subsequent segments. It's just something that should be avoided unless properly managed with a travel agent or the airline directly.

I cannot say if you will get a boarding pass for LAX-LAS in CNX. I'd like to think that you will, and am pretty sure you will but I've never started an int'l flight itin. in CNX so am unaware of their capabilities. If you do not get that boarding card you could ask again when you transit BKK, at a TG service desk or transfer counter.

If you have a LAX-LAS boarding card in hand, and you arrive on time you should be in good shape to make your TED flight. (Note that this is the last TED fight of the day for LAX-LAS.) After you clear Immirgation and are waiting for yuor bags check the monitors for the status of your LAX flight. If you think you can make it, and have the LAX-LAS boarding card, then clear Customs, and hand off your checked bags (assumes they've been checked through to LAS) just outside Customs and proceed to the curb for a Bus to T7. Clear TSA security and go to your gate.

If you did not get a LAX-LAS boarding card in CNX or BKK, I would recommend taking your bags over to T7 and re-checking them as you'll have to check-in anyway to get a boarding card, then clear TSA and go to your gate.

You can check the TED flights at www.ual.com , it looks like they always leave from the 7 pier (T7) gates like 70A/B, 71A/B, 75.

It is challenging to give a total elapsed time between TBIT and T7 as there are many variables, Immigration wait-time, baggage wait-time, Customs (possible secnodary screening), re-check of bags, finding the bus, waiting for it (although the actual bus trip should be 5 min.), maybe checking in again in T7, claering TSA and walking all the way down to the end of the 7 pier. I'd say if you exit Customs by 9:30 PM you'll be OK (assumes the TED LAX-LAS flight departs at 10:45 PM which is what today's schedule is showing).

Both flights to New York and LA advertised as nonstop are indeed nonstop, I've flown both routes, not stops for fueling. The flight to LA takes 14-15 hrs, to New York 16-17 hours. There's a promotion for the premium economy seats to LA, Feb9-May31, US$1225.

You can also check the on-time performance of TG 794 (flight information on the TG website) to get a feel for the general time this flight arrives (typically early, typically late).

The "missing flight coupon" is not an issue for you are you are ending your itinerary in LAS. Hence dropping that last segment in lieu of a rental car and driving would not be an issue. Dropping a segment in the middle of an itinerary can lead to problems for subsequent segments. It's just something that should be avoided unless properly managed with a travel agent or the airline directly.

I cannot say if you will get a boarding pass for LAX-LAS in CNX. I'd like to think that you will, and am pretty sure you will but I've never started an int'l flight itin. in CNX so am unaware of their capabilities. If you do not get that boarding card you could ask again when you transit BKK, at a TG service desk or transfer counter.

If you have a LAX-LAS boarding card in hand, and you arrive on time you should be in good shape to make your TED flight. (Note that this is the last TED fight of the day for LAX-LAS.) After you clear Immirgation and are waiting for yuor bags check the monitors for the status of your LAX flight. If you think you can make it, and have the LAX-LAS boarding card, then clear Customs, and hand off your checked bags (assumes they've been checked through to LAS) just outside Customs and proceed to the curb for a Bus to T7. Clear TSA security and go to your gate.

If you did not get a LAX-LAS boarding card in CNX or BKK, I would recommend taking your bags over to T7 and re-checking them as you'll have to check-in anyway to get a boarding card, then clear TSA and go to your gate.

You can check the TED flights at www.ual.com , it looks like they always leave from the 7 pier (T7) gates like 70A/B, 71A/B, 75.

It is challenging to give a total elapsed time between TBIT and T7 as there are many variables, Immigration wait-time, baggage wait-time, Customs (possible secnodary screening), re-check of bags, finding the bus, waiting for it (although the actual bus trip should be 5 min.), maybe checking in again in T7, claering TSA and walking all the way down to the end of the 7 pier. I'd say if you exit Customs by 9:30 PM you'll be OK (assumes the TED LAX-LAS flight departs at 10:45 PM which is what today's schedule is showing).

Wow what a huge help you are Lomatopo!!

When i looked up Bkk-Lax on Thai website(great Idea) some flights had 13.30 hours Can that be correct? The schedule on the Interary says 15.30 hours arriving at 20.40 giving us exactly 2 hours

And We are taking the last flight on Ted to las vegas

I was unaware that we had to claim bags to go through Immigration and then check in again. that will be quite a hassle with 8 big bags and my 2 kids but no biggi.Thai Airways told us they would be checked straight through to las

I feel confident that we will make it!!

we leave next tuesday

I will let you know how it goes when I arrive :o

Both flights to New York and LA advertised as nonstop are indeed nonstop, I've flown both routes, not stops for fueling. The flight to LA takes 14-15 hrs, to New York 16-17 hours. There's a promotion for the premium economy seats to LA, Feb9-May31, US$1225.

Thanks Sabajai That was the answer to my original post and ive been very lucky to get such detailed answers and help and yes thats what I wanted if i wanted to land I would want to get off andstrerch with the kids Im hoping they will sleep most of the way,

Can you give me any Info on the quality of economy class.I have alway flown either EVA or Korean and as of late China becuase of the direct flight from Chiang Mai to Taiwan very easy flight for kids

But the seats are so small on China. And there usually the 747's

Another question- :o

According to Thai we can each take 2 bags weighing 32 kgs each but on the leg from lax-las they the travel agent says the bags can only be 23kgs?

Will i be charged overage amount and how can i find out how much?

Thanks

Just to clarify... if your bags are checked through to LAS (this will be evident on the tags they attach to your bags, and the stubs they stick in your ticket folder) then you will have to pick them up off the baggage carousel at LAX and physically carry then through Customs, then somewhere on the other side of Customs you will simply drop them off (and not re-check them). Usually it's near a conveyor belt where they will be sent down to a tub to be transported over to your departing plane.

If you do not receive a boarding card for LAX-LAS in CNX or BKK then this means you will have to check-in for LAX-LAS in T7 with TED/UA. If you have to do that, then I suggest you bring your bags, if checked through to LAS, with your from TBIT to T7. That way you know they at least made it that far, and if you were to miss the flight then you'd have your bags in hand.

I have no idea about baggage limits, but if TG take your bags in CNX and they are checked through to LAS I wouldn't expect that you'd have to pay any excess baggage fees.

You can check the past schedule performance for TG 794 on the TG website, example for 24 March:

THAI AIRWAYS INTL - TG 794

Operational Flight Information

Airport Hour FLIGHT INFORMATION

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 20:47 LEFT THE GATE

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 21:02 TOOK OFF

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 00:07 PLANE IS LATE IN HOURS MINUTES)

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - OUND MOVEMENT CONTROL

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 19:42 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 19:54 AIRCRAFT LANDED

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 20:05 ARRIVED

Most airlines in the US do not allow bags of more than 50 lbs due to agreements with baggage handlers or medical insurance. If your bags weight more you may have to repack or pay a fine. They caught me on that several years ago as I arrived ok but during 3 week stay they brought in this new regulation that was not even in any tickets or on website - only a hand printed card at check in counter - cost me $50 if I recall correctly (Alaska Air). We were well under both weight and bag limits so was rather ticked.

23 minutes early!!

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 19:35 LEFT THE GATE

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 19:53 TOOK OFF

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand 00:25 PLANE IS LATE IN HOURS MINUTES)

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - CONNECTING PASSENGERS

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 20:05 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 20:12 AIRCRAFT LANDED

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 20:17 ARRIVED

Planned Flight Information

Airport Arriving Day Departing Day Meal Elapsed Flying Time

Bangkok Int'l (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - - 19:10 Sunday Yes 15h30min

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 20:40 Sunday - - - -

Most airlines in the US do not allow bags of more than 50 lbs due to agreements with baggage handlers or medical insurance....

Yeah, you're right. I was nailed on this by Delta recently when connecting at LAX off a flight from BKK. The Delta counter girl refused to check my bag for being 1 pound (!) overweight. I had to open it right there on the floor at LAX and remove a book.

A great many American airline personnel see themselves as abused victims of their employers. Their only pleasure anymore is in sticking it to as many passengers as they can to get even. If you run into one of those (as I did), the baggage rule will be strictly enforced. Most of the time, however, as long as you're somewhere in the ballpark, you will be okay.