English To Thai Translation

Ron19

Can anyone recommend a good program to download that gives a true translation from English to thai or if that's not possible, an online one will do.

I have found that google is a waste of time by cross referencing their translation with thai to English which I believe is a true translation.

Another one I have no time for is Babylon which I have found to be a very invasive programme that is very hard to get rid of once it enters into your computer.

Edited by Ron19

Thanks very much for this.I have "Thai to English" on two computers but must have been looking at it with blinkers on.I didn't realise that it could be used to translate english to thai.I need it to get a point across to thai people and found that a drawback is that it wont translate a sentence.Since your post,I have had another look at it and found that it will translate individual words and gives me a way of communicating in thai.Once again,thanks for opening my eyes.

I d/l (why is this in italics?) an excellent android app, the previews showed everything one might wish for. As we cannot give specifics it has Thai name, I believe the common equivalent to "john"

It cost about Baht750. and was about 50Mb

I tried for the next 24 hours to install it..no luck.

I went to their helpdesk, and have never experienced before the promptness and patience of the guy.

After about a week he/we deduced that as my tablet was a chinese one, that "they', the chinese would not pay the licensing for genuine Google Play. and had jerrybuilt their own.

Next step, get the refund, the helpguy was more determined than I was, and eventually I got it.

I noticed I have a Thai translator (paid for) on a Palm PDA..still does a good job.It is from the same company and I was able to put on a new PDA without any hassle at all.

I'm sorry I could not load the android version, as it is obviously portable, particularly when I see the 5000 baht pocket translators which seem to have the alphabet printed on the keys..wear off quickly.

I guess you're looking for some kind of Windows-based app which I can't help with. However Paiboon has an Android app called the Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary. It can be purchased from the Google Play store. I find it quite useful to translate words from English to Thai and then listen to them. There's also Thai script in the app. Overall very useful, particularly if you have an Android phone or tablet (and I think its also available for Apple) but it won't translate sentences.

• Like 1

The main problem for me is that there are many "Translation" programs available but what I think I really need is Interpretation.

Many of the translators choose a wrong word and it makes the translation meaningless.

I want to find something that looks at the context of sentences, not just swapping words.

I want to have the "meaning" of the text changed into something that has the same "meaning" in another language.

I have the Paiboon, Thai–English English–Thai Talking Dictionary and I find it very useful but it can't deal with sentences.

Edited by laislica

I'd be very wary about 'trusting' any of them.

Some may be fine for 'word by word' translations but unfortunately the only way to be sure is to get that face in the dictionary and work it out for yourself...

I've yet to find a decent English to Thai dictionary in any format which can deal with anything more than a basic sentence.

• Like 1

To me the Paiboon dictionary is in a class of its own. It can't handle sentences but everything else it does better than anything else I have tried. You can even input transliteration (the way the word sounds) and you get the correct Thai or English word. It even has around ten different transliteration systems to chose from.

Another very helpful feature to me is that it can break down long words into the smaller words that form the basis of the long word. This helps a lot in understanding some Thai words that you initially had no clue what they meant.

I believe it's the most expensive dictionary you can buy on Google Play, but worth every stang in my opinion.

For sentences I find Thai2English being as good as it gets, even though it only translates every single word.

I'm using the free trial for Thai2English on a windows 7, 64 bit Sony Vaio and it unfortunately crashes too often. However I like the way it offers all the alternate words so you can, as HD said, get your head in the dictionary.

I have sent off a support request so a chance to see their service (or not).

At $40 it is affordable.

As a side note, I also need Thai-Spanish, any ideas?

'google translate' is very good.

When I have used "Google Translate" for english to thai and then cross reference it with "Thai 2 English",I often find that Googles translation doesn't make sense or is nothing like it should be.

• Like 1

To me the Paiboon dictionary is in a class of its own. It can't handle sentences but everything else it does better than anything else I have tried. You can even input transliteration (the way the word sounds) and you get the correct Thai or English word. It even has around ten different transliteration systems to chose from.

Another very helpful feature to me is that it can break down long words into the smaller words that form the basis of the long word. This helps a lot in understanding some Thai words that you initially had no clue what they meant.

I believe it's the most expensive dictionary you can buy on Google Play, but worth every stang in my opinion.

For sentences I find Thai2English being as good as it gets, even though it only translates every single word.

I'm using the free trial for Thai2English on a windows 7, 64 bit Sony Vaio and it unfortunately crashes too often. However I like the way it offers all the alternate words so you can, as HD said, get your head in the dictionary.

At $40 it is affordable.

I use the Thai2English, paid version, on a windows 7, 64 bit HP desktop. Has never crashed.

• Like 1

'google translate' is very good.

When I have used "Google Translate" for english to thai and then cross reference it with "Thai 2 English",I often find that Googles translation doesn't make sense or is nothing like it should be.

Aye, I often take Google translations and translate again back to the original and then sometimes it is a total mess. I normally use European languages and even with something like Czech and we can manage to understand each other - most of the time - but it is a "broken" language - both ways.

I also have PC based translators and they are no better. For European languages I found the on-line bablefish to be really very good.

I speak Spanish reasonably well so I can help Google by looking at alternate words.

Something quite simple that I translated from English to Spanish with Google and offered to the Spanish embassy caused the man to suggest that it had been translated with Google and didn't have a "Spanish sense" about it. As the doc is to be used in Spain he suggested that I paid to have it translated from Thai to Spanish.......

When comparing the difference between my Google job and the official one, the differences were slight and I'm sure that the foreign office in Spain would have understood my translation.

Oh well, pockets lightened a bit more and TiT..... B800 per page.....

Nuf said.

At $40 it is affordable.

I use the Thai2English, paid version, on a windows 7, 64 bit HP desktop. Has never crashed.

Thanks for that, I would really like it to work for me and I'll buy it.

I am waiting for a reply to my query and the fault is caused like this:

In articles, Grammar and reference, Usage of tones in Thai.

When I try to get the program to speak the tone, it does so once or twice and then the program stops working..

If it means anything to you, this is the error report:

Date: 22/04/2013 20:04:16
Culture: en-GB
Version: 2.3.4233.26858
App up time: 00:01:09.0969522
Exception class: System.NullReferenceException
Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
at Thai2English.Multimedia.T2EMultimedia.SayWord(String word)
at Thai2English.Gui.FromClient.ᤃ.<.ctor>b__0()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

At $40 it is affordable.

When I try to get the program to speak the tone, it does so once or twice and then the program stops working..

Stack Trace:
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Well, the error report doesn't say me anything, but I tried the "tone test" you described. It can repeat for hours, if I like to. No crash.

• Like 1

I use "ImTranslator" with FireFox as an add on. Works really well. Worth sending them a small donation.

( http://imtranslator.net/Translator-For-Firefox-ImTranslator_v_5_3.asp?v=z )

I used it to translate a very long English document and the Thai who checked it said it was extremely accurate with only a minor change or two.

• Like 2

At $40 it is affordable.

Stack Trace:
"Exception class: System.NullReferenceException
Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I'll take a wild guess and wonder if it isn't powered by Adobe Flash, and Flash is what's crashed. I'd uninstall both the program and Adobe Flash, run CCleaner on the registry, back up any changes CCleaner makes (it will ask) reboot and install the latest version of Flash and then reinstall the proggy.

That's a wild hunch.

• Like 1

I use "ImTranslator" with FireFox as an add on. Works really well. Worth sending them a small donation.

I used it to translate a very long English document and the Thai who checked it said it was extremely accurate with only a minor change or two.

I use it, and check it against Google, by translating it back twice, once with each program. If I can't get a match, I change the English wording a little in that one spot and try again.

zgt.jpg

I use it, and check it against Google, by translating it back twice, once with each program. If I can't get a match, I change the English wording a little in that one spot and try again.

zgt.jpg

According to the link given the program uses the Google online translation service - so presume it is the same and if so what is the benefit?

Like others have said I have not found Google translate very good in getting the sense right at all.

My first post.............basically, I think all the thai to english translate programs are rubbish. I went here..........

http://www.translatorsbase.com/

........and found a really good translator. You post a doc and people come back to you with a quote. I'm currently paying around 10usd for 100 - 150 words because I like and trust the translator but I guess if I kept looking and haggling I could get cheaper.

I don't use it all the time but if you really want to figure out what's being said I think it's best to cough up the $$.

PS - the interpreter I use also recommended this site (haven't tried it) -

http://dict.longdo.com/index.php