Immigration Processes In The Uk

They're a funny bunch at Heathrow. Being a Gatwick chap, I didn't go anywhere near LHR unless I had to. They also got more money than elsewhere, too. :o

I don't know what the reality is, but a personal thought is that as more countries have become visa nationals, the I.O.'s responsibilities have diminshed. It might, therefore, be the case that one or two are now turning their attentions to hapless American visitors who in previous times wouldn't have been given a second glance.

Scouse.

Passport control and customs I'm deadly serious. Always answer every question completely. (yes sir, no sir - yes madam, no madam) They have the power to fk with you in a major way, so best to do as you are told. I know the rant by the yank lady is extreme, but doesnt surprise me either. Get funny with them they can detain you for a long period of time without cause.

1. They were unreal harsh on her arrival but does anyone know and realize HOW harsh US customs are nowadays to overseas visitors? :o

2. I don't think the 20 year old girl wrote this letter herself....this is written by someone else...

But, anyway...real strange she wasn't even allowed to phone/contact the US Embassy.

LaoPo

When my wife first cam to the UK 8 years ago through LHR she was detained and takebn for an XRay. She had all the paper work including the Visa etc. She was kept for a couple of hours. Meanwhile I was pulling my hair out in the airport. The airline would only tell me she had got on the flight - which was direct - so must have got off. Information pointed me to a booth that allowed me to call the Immigration Control and they said they were holding no one!

So there I was wondering around LHR thinking I'd missed her and she'd be wondering about lost. Eventually I saw her come out of baggage claim (arrivals). She told me what had happened.

Seems completely incompetance to me, they could have told me they were holding her when I asked. I could have given up and gone home - If I was a taxi driver etc waiting for a pick-up, then that's likely - she would have been wondering around Heathrow lost and vunereble.

When she had Right to Remain and lived perminantly in the UK, they still made her fill in the customs forms etc. What's the point of that if she's resident. Now she has citizenship, there's no need. Someting about beurocrats and bits of paper!

I was waiting in the passport control line in Terminal 1
Don't flights from the US arrive at Terminal 3 (except BA, which are T4)? Ok, she would have needed to go to T1 for the flight to Newcastle, but surely she would have had to pass through immigration in T3 first?

Heathrow Airport Flight Arrivals

Try getting into the US with an old, non machine readable passport. You wont!

DJMM, your g/f wont have this sort of problem as she has a visa.

Edited by GU22

I was waiting in the passport control line in Terminal 1
Don't flights from the US arrive at Terminal 3 (except BA, which are T4)? Ok, she would have needed to go to T1 for the flight to Newcastle, but surely she would have had to pass through immigration in T3 first?

Heathrow Airport Flight Arrivals

Try getting into the US with an old, non machine readable passport. You wont!

DJMM, your g/f wont have this sort of problem as she has a visa.

Terminal 3 is where I normally land coming from yank land.

Edited by britmaveric

UK immigration seem to be OK generally. US immigration hit and miss. EU immigration are just really lax, especially the Frenchies at Waterloo Eurostar.

Australian immigration and customs are the worst. And I'm an Australian citizen. Tell them you live in BKK and they go the hack. It has happened too many times to me for it to be a random occurance. In my (snobbish) estimation the IQ needed to be an aussie immigration official is the same as the official definition of mental retardation.

And yes, I dress well when I fly.

I've found the staff at the heathrow connecting flight immigration area to be especially rude. They made a big fuss about having to get my wife x-rayed for TB, when I asked that since I had been in LOS for 3 years why didn't I have to get one. They also didn't like me waiting for my wife to go through - I learnt that you alway let them go first - although she was nervous and wanted me to go first to see what the procedure was.

I never connect at Heathrow - book my flights seperately - the main immigration is too busy to arse around like that.

When my wife first cam to the UK 8 years ago through LHR she was detained and takebn for an XRay.

She wasn't detained, but referred for a medical. In such a situation immigration won't have had a record of her being held. However, they could/should have explained that if she was arriving for settlement, in all likelihood she was awaiting her medical.

At LHR they have the Flight Connection Centre, based at Terminal 1, which is an airside immigration control and is specifically designed to deal with those who arrived at one of the other terminals, but are in transit within the UK from T1.

Scouse.

At LHR they have the Flight Connection Centre, based at Terminal 1, which is an airside immigration control and is specifically designed to deal with those who arrived at one of the other terminals, but are in transit within the UK from T1.
Thanks.

On the X-ray front; as Thai's entering for more than 6 months now have to get a TB certificate before applying for their visa, I assume that they are no longer being referred to the medical centre on first arrival. Anyone know if I'm right?

When my wife first cam to the UK 8 years ago through LHR she was detained and takebn for an XRay.

She wasn't detained, but referred for a medical. In such a situation immigration won't have had a record of her being held. However, they could/should have explained that if she was arriving for settlement, in all likelihood she was awaiting her medical.

Scouse.

Sorry if I should already know this but does everyone landing with a settlement visa get taken aside for a medical? Or does it depend on the originating country or IO? See when you get that SV visa you just grab it and run and forget to ask all this other very important info!

Just curious as hubby lands at Heathrow at the crack of dawn and will be going through terminal 1 immigration as he will be transfering to Edinburgh flight. Not only do I wish I had read this first (and opted for two different flights) but also now thinking his two hour stop over may not be long enough!!

Edited by caledonia

SeeImmigration Rules; Part 1: General provisions regarding leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom Para 36 to 38.

Para 36 begins

A person who intends to remain in the United Kingdom for more than 6 months should normally be referred to the Medical Inspector for examination. If he produces a medical certificate he should be advised to hand it to the Medical Inspector.
This doesn't always happen, so he may or may not.

If he is, how long it takes varies according to how busy they are. I know of some cases where the person was in and out within 15 minutes, but when my wife and daughter first arrived we had to wait for over 2 hours before we even saw the medical officer!

As Thailand is one of the countries where obtaining a TB certificate before applying for a visa is being trialled, I would like to know if Thais are now exempt from this.

As Thailand is one of the countries where obtaining a TB certificate before applying for a visa is being trialled, I would like to know if Thais are now exempt from this.

I don't know and I doubt if the staff at the embassy know either. I'll have a chat with a friend and see if any instructions have been issued to immigration officers to waive the requirement in respect of Thais whose visas were issued in Bangkok.

Scouse.

What is the actual process for non-EU travellers arriving in the UK? I know there is a landing card to fill in. Do they give it to the immigration officer, along with their passport? Does this precede collecting their baggage?

I should probably know all this, but I tend to stumble through Heathrow in a daze (the best way, if you ask me :D ), and don't remember when and where I go after leaving the plane.

I want to draw up a quick checklist for the gf so that she knows roughly what to do when she lands. Point number 1 is easy: put on a very thick jumper! :o

Cheers.

djmm

What is the actual process for non-EU travellers arriving in the UK? I know there is a landing card to fill in. Do they give it to the immigration officer, along with their passport? Does this precede collecting their baggage?

Yes. They fill in a landing card.

Yes. They give it to the immigration officer along with their passport.

Yes. This precede baggage collecting.

However, if there are problems then the immigration officer may ask to see all the baggages.

This story is nearly a year old

Passport Control at Heathrow

Updated: 25 Jun 2005

By Kathleen Whalen - 16 Jun 2005

If this was a common occurence then I think that we would have heard many more 'horror' stories like this. Maybe the immigration official was just having a 'bad hair day'.

Yes. They fill in a landing card.

Yes. They give it to the immigration officer along with their passport.

Yes. This precede baggage collecting.

However, if there are problems then the immigration officer may ask to see all the baggages.

Would I be right in assuming that immigration wanting to check your baggage is much more likley when you are on a tourist visa as they may want to check that there is nothing to indicate you intend to stay on or work? I mean with a settlement visa you are allowed to work and are allowed to stay for two years so I figure - what could you have in your baggage they would not be happy about? Customs of course will have a whole other idea - but immigration I would assume aint that interested in baggage with a SV - but then hey to assume as they say makes an ....you know the rest! :o

Immigration don't conduct spot checks on passengers' baggage. However, as a matter of routine, those seeking entry in any capacity and who don't immediately qualify, will have searches undertaken. In such a situation, the IO is looking for any documentation which can shed some light on the case.

Those who clear immigration and are then stopped by Customs might be brought back to the immigration area if they are found to be carrying documents which suggest that they perhaps shouldn't have been allowed in.

Scouse.